ACC Network Coming In 2019 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Coming In 2019

They add a TV market. They add basketball. They add fertile football and basketball recruiting grounds. On the football side they do not add much, but they are not being added for that. Once you have a network, you need to feed it.
Just because they are in a big TV market doesn't mean they move the needle.
Philly is a Penn State town. Temple FB is nothing when they played ND last year the stadium was 50/50 with ND fans and Temple fans.

Temple has a nice hoops program but they will never be a player in Philly for FB.

No to them or anybody not ND.

The ACC isn't expanding without Texas taking the ND deal or ND becoming team 15 and if ND joined they would likely pick the 16th team.

I wouldn't mind Navy with ND it would help ND'a scheduling commitments and fill the hole in Maryland.

No to UConn,Cincinnati, or any American team. Unless ND wanted them.

Just because they are in a big TV market doesn't mean they move the needle.
Philly is a Penn State town. Temple FB is nothing when they played ND last year the stadium was 50/50 with ND fans and Temple fans.

Temple has a nice hoops program but they will never be a player in Philly for FB.

No to them or anybody not ND.

The ACC isn't expanding with Texas taking the ND deal or ND becoming team 15 and if ND joined they would likely pick the 16th team.

I wouldn't mind Navy with ND it would help ND'a scheduling commitments and fill the hole in Maryland.

No to UConn,Cincinnati, or any American team. Unless ND wanted them.
AS's, what's your read on 2019? I'm guessing it's scheduling (they want more games/content before they go on the air); time to contract with cable TV providers; and/or time to site/arrange/construct production facilities.

2019 is two-fold
First
AS's, what's your read on 2019? I'm guessing it's scheduling (they want more games/content before they go on the air); time to contract with cable TV providers; and/or time to site/arrange/construct production facilities.
2019 is two-fold.
First, it is the year Disney has to re-up ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPNNews/ESPNClassic/Disney Channel/Disney XD/Abc Family/SECN with cable and satellite providers.
It is way easier to for them to negotiate an ACCN into this bundle then now and then it do it again in 2 years.
This deal gives the ACC cover and rewards patience.
ESPN gets the ACC rights for basically ever and gives the conference it's network on its bundle like the SECN got last negotiation.

He second reason for 3 years is that it gives the conference more time to buy back those 3rd tier rights that Raycom and Fox Sports have now. They probably made a deal for them to keep 3 more years and then get paid for them.

This is a great deal for the ACC I was skeptical they would get this commitment from ESPN but they did.

In business, three years is a blink of the eye. It'll be over in no time.

I can't believe we're about to start our 4th year in the ACC. Virtually all of our athletes have only competed in the ACC. That time has gone by very quick.

In business, three years is a blink of the eye. It'll be over in no time.
If I know the problem's been fixed, it'll be easier not to have a temper tantrum when I see another SU game "blacked out" by Fox/Raycom.

Last edited:
They add a TV market. They add basketball. They add fertile football and basketball recruiting grounds. On the football side they do not add much, but they are not being added for that. Once you have a network, you need to feed it.

You forgot the one thing they do not add, and it is the only thing that really matter$.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
Big 12 board of directors asked Bob Bowlsby to evaluate interest of schools interested in joining league: "continued interest on expansion”

Big 12 said news of ACC’s addition of ACC Network impacted Big 12’s decision regarding "continued interest in expansion"

David Boren said Bob Bowlsby will “recontact those schools that have contacted us. Evaluate what proposals they may make” about joining B12

David Boren: “If we are to expand, we want to find the strongest partners: fan base, TV following, also academic standing"

Lock of year: Bob Bowlsby will get a boatload of chocolates, flowers & gift bags tomorrow, but only one will be delivered by FedEx

Spoke w/several sources about Big 12 expansion. Everyone in play. Best quote: “Cincinnati leader in clubhouse but we don’t have a clubhouse"

Last edited:
USF and Cincinnati are such scary additions. Will make Big 12 most prestigious conference lol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
Big 12 board of directors asked Bob Bowlsby to evaluate interest of schools interested in joining league: "continued interest on expansion”

Big 12 said news of ACC’s addition of ACC Network impacted Big 12’s decision regarding "continued interest in expansion"

David Boren said Bob Bowlsby will “recontact those schools that have contacted us. Evaluate what proposals they may make” about joining B12

David Boren: “If we are to expand, we want to find the strongest partners: fan base, TV following, also academic standing"
UConn Hope.jpg

You forgot the one thing they do not add, and it is the only thing that really matter$.

So playing 7 football games in the market and 18 or so basketball games will do nothing for the ACC's exposure? That won't increase advertising revenue for the ACCN?

Temple will never own Philly, just like Rutgers will never own NYC. But it would be about playing conference games locally in that market. Right now the ACC is an outsider. How would gaining access to a major media market be a bad thing?

Do you think this agreement hastens in the nine game schedule for Football? Content will be king

HRE Otto IV said:
So playing 7 football games in the market and 18 or so basketball games will do nothing for the ACC's exposure? That won't increase advertising revenue for the ACCN? Temple will never own Philly, just like Rutgers will never own NYC. But it would be about playing conference games locally in that market. Right now the ACC is an outsider. How would gaining access to a major media market be a bad thing?

The minimal revenue gains would not be worth more than having to split the pie with 2 more programs.

Volume of ACC Network game coverage will rival Big Ten, SEC linear channels

# As I mentioned in Monday night's post, the SEC, Big Ten and Pacific 12 networks show the difficulty in projecting how much revenue the ACC's new venture might generate. Clay Travis took a very detailed stab at it in his Outkickthecoverage.com column, but let's take a different approach.

Matching the SEC and Big Ten's estimated per-school network shares of $7.5 million-$10 million annually is a pipe dream given the ACC's smaller fan base, so let's set a modest base of $5 million.

Multiply the $5 million by 14 fulltime members and you get $70 million. A quarter share for Notre Dame -- that's the Irish's take of other conference revenue -- bumps the total to $71.25 million.

But the ACC doesn't distribute 100 percent of revenue to its schools. The most recent rate was 92.5 percent. So to send $71.25 million to members, the league would need $77.03 million in annual network windfall.

Since ESPN will split profits with the ACC, the network would need to net $154.06 million. Travis estimates annual network expenses at $100 million, bringing the needed revenue to $254.06 million.

Can the ACC Network, by 2019-20, generate that much in subscription fees, with monthly rates ranging from $1 to 25 cents based on location? In a cord-cutting era, can ESPN get the ACC Network in the 60 million-plus homes it likely would take to produce those fees?

The answers will be years in the making.

When TV dollars are determined for various conferences, football is always by far the primary driver.

This will be a great real life test of how important basketball is compared to football, especially in the Northeast. Will the ACC Network get the mainstream treatment in New York, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania? If it does, I think it is because of ACC basketball.

Would guess the proposal to expand the number of ACC conference games from 18 to 20 will get more traction now.

sutomcat said:
When TV dollars are determined for various conferences, football is always by far the primary driver. This will be a great real life test of how important basketball is compared to football, especially in the Northeast. Will the ACC Network get the mainstream treatment in New York, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania? If it does, I think it is because of ACC basketball. Would guess the proposal to expand the number of ACC conference games from 18 to 20 will get more traction now.

For sure. I'd bet both football and basketball will be expanding their conference games to leverage the new network. They'll bend over backwards to help FSU and Clemson - but it's doable for the right number $.

ACC network is going to have football in the fall.
Premiere basketball in winter.
Premiere baseball/lacrosse in the spring.

It will have way more content than the SECN. Which has football and college baseball. SEC hoops outside of Kentucky and Florida blow right now.

The ACC network will get ad dollars for their non-football games.

With Florida State and Clemson leading the football side along with Louisville/North Carolina/Miami/Georgia Tech/Virginia Tech in the top annual 25 the conference has potential.

FSU studio receives new video, broadcast equipment

ACC content could include not only live events, but studio shows, coach’s shows, documentaries and other original programming related to the conference.

Seminole Productions handles many video production needs for FSU athletics and produces more than 100 television programs annually.

“Fans want to see what they can’t see,” Garbarino said.

“They want to feel like they are invested in the program. To me it’s the circle of life. Fans for life. I feel if they are exposed to these live events and inside looks at our athletic programs when they are young, they grow up loving FSU and want to be a part of the university as a fan, student, or possibly even a student athlete.

“Sponsors see the excitement and envision royalties, they also want to be involved in FSU athletics and reach the people that are watching these live events and television shows. That is obviously a big benefit to our university.”

at the rate lacrosse is growing i expect it to become a popular tv draw over the next 15 years. i see it now. kids are glued to watching college games and reruns and now they're starting to watch MLL games.

PhatOrange said:
at the rate lacrosse is growing i expect it to become a popular tv draw over the next 15 years. i see it now. kids are glued to watching college games and reruns and now they're starting to watch MLL games.

Not to be a naysayer, but there is almost no quantitative evidence to suggest that lacrosse will be anything more than a niche draw for years to come. Heck, soccer has a 50 year head start and it's still fairly niche.

Not to be a naysayer, but there is almost no quantitative evidence to suggest that lacrosse will be anything more than a niche draw for years to come. Heck, soccer has a 50 year head start and it's still fairly niche.
All it needs to do is rate enough to get Ad revenue. College lax gets good enough ratings to get they AD revenue. That is why ESPNU air ACC lax games.

For sure. I'd bet both football and basketball will be expanding their conference games to leverage the new network. They'll bend over backwards to help FSU and Clemson - but it's doable for the right number $.
I hope that bending over backwards includes not moving to a 9 game conference schedule.