ACC Network Coming In 2019 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Coming In 2019

gobigorange said:
I hope that bending over backwards includes not moving to a 9 game conference schedule.

We'll see. I think extra ACC $ will offset lost home game every other year and that will be enough...

Alsacs said:
All it needs to do is rate enough to get Ad revenue. College lax gets good enough ratings to get they AD revenue. That is why ESPNU air ACC lax games.

You really really really overestimate ad revenue. I'll leave it at that.

Not to be a naysayer, but there is almost no quantitative evidence to suggest that lacrosse will be anything more than a niche draw for years to come. Heck, soccer has a 50 year head start and it's still fairly niche.

soccer is well, soccer. Maybe lax wont go past niche, but I’m making my predictions based on the growth of the sport and the growing popularity of MLL. This is also the type of content that will fill up a ‘digital network’ and the ACC network. It’s popular.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that colleges are adding the sport as mentioned below, (even colleges in Alabama are adding the sport) and Cleveland St and Hampton are adding men’s D1. Why would they in light of expenses and title 9 ?

Utah looks like they’re making the jump here shortly.

Utah might add lacrosse, and that's a bigger deal than you realize - Today's "U"

Growth of lacrosse, particularly in the Pac-12, is potentially a big deal even if you aren’t a fan of the sport. Television contracts and the growth of broadcast institutions such as the Pac-12 Network are huge factors as more potential shakeups loom on the college sports landscape.

With streaming and mobile options continuing to evolve the major conferences are more than ever in the business of creating content as much as sponsoring sports. Lacrosse expansion fits both bills, giving a league such as the Pac-12 games to sell to its TV partners and more incentive for cable and satellite providers to get the Pac-12 Network on in big East Coast markets such as New York/New Jersey and Washington D.C./Baltimore.

It’s likely no coincidence the Big Ten, the league that pioneered the idea of a conference TV network, has begun sanctioning lacrosse.

If BYU and other Pac-12 schools are prepared to follow Utah, the Utes relatively quiet move is potentially a very big deal for all of college sports.

Growth

This is a US Lacrosse article from a year ago.

National Lacrosse Participation Grows 3.5 Percent in 2014

A total of 39 schools added varsity programs in 2014 alone, including NCAA Division I men’s programs at Boston University, Furman, Monmouth and Richmond and women’s programs at Colorado, Elon, Mercer and Michigan.

NCAA Report

NCAA Report: Lacrosse is Fastest-Growing College Sport

New Varsity College Programs

New Varsity College Programs ~ The Growth Blog - Chronicling the Growth of the Sport of Lacrosse

Volume of ACC Network game coverage will rival Big Ten, SEC linear channels

# As I mentioned in Monday night's post, the SEC, Big Ten and Pacific 12 networks show the difficulty in projecting how much revenue the ACC's new venture might generate. Clay Travis took a very detailed stab at it in his Outkickthecoverage.com column, but let's take a different approach.

Matching the SEC and Big Ten's estimated per-school network shares of $7.5 million-$10 million annually is a pipe dream given the ACC's smaller fan base, so let's set a modest base of $5 million.

Multiply the $5 million by 14 fulltime members and you get $70 million. A quarter share for Notre Dame -- that's the Irish's take of other conference revenue -- bumps the total to $71.25 million.

But the ACC doesn't distribute 100 percent of revenue to its schools. The most recent rate was 92.5 percent. So to send $71.25 million to members, the league would need $77.03 million in annual network windfall.

Since ESPN will split profits with the ACC, the network would need to net $154.06 million. Travis estimates annual network expenses at $100 million, bringing the needed revenue to $254.06 million.

Can the ACC Network, by 2019-20, generate that much in subscription fees, with monthly rates ranging from $1 to 25 cents based on location? In a cord-cutting era, can ESPN get the ACC Network in the 60 million-plus homes it likely would take to produce those fees?

The answers will be years in the making.

Clay Travis is an SEC homer - take anything he says with a grain of salt - just a cut above Christopher Lambert the Dude of WVa. And for the record please note that the ACC distributed a higher % of money in 2014-2015 than did any other conference:

"The ACC led all power conferences in percentage of revenue distributed to members. The league’s 2014-15 rate was 92.5 percent, followed by the Big Ten's 91.7, Big 12’s 88, Southeastern Conference’s 86.8 and Pacific 12’s 68.5, those latter three percentages compiled by the San Jose Mercury News’ Jon Wilner." Link ACC tax return shows commitment to channel project, 33-percent revenue increase

Cuse Legacy, you're pretty smart so don't get bamboozled. These ACC networks are sending shockwaves throughout the NCAA as one on-line report (which I can't locate now) had as a subtitle.

Clay Travis is an SEC homer - take anything he says with a grain of salt - just a cut above Christopher Lambert the Dude of WVa. And for the record please note that the ACC distributed a higher % of money in 2014-2015 than did any other conference:

"The ACC led all power conferences in percentage of revenue distributed to members. The league’s 2014-15 rate was 92.5 percent, followed by the Big Ten's 91.7, Big 12’s 88, Southeastern Conference’s 86.8 and Pacific 12’s 68.5, those latter three percentages compiled by the San Jose Mercury News’ Jon Wilner." Link ACC tax return shows commitment to channel project, 33-percent revenue increase

Cuse Legacy, you're pretty smart so don't get bamboozled. These ACC networks are sending shockwaves throughout the NCAA as one on-line report (which I can't locate now) had as a subtitle.

The article came from Teel.

soccer is well, soccer. Maybe lax wont go past niche, but I’m making my predictions based on the growth of the sport and the growing popularity of MLL. This is also the type of content that will fill up a ‘digital network’ and the ACC network. It’s popular.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that colleges are adding the sport as mentioned below, (even colleges in Alabama are adding the sport) and Cleveland St and Hampton are adding men’s D1. Why would they in light of expenses and title 9 ?

Utah looks like they’re making the jump here shortly.

Utah might add lacrosse, and that's a bigger deal than you realize - Today's "U"

Growth of lacrosse, particularly in the Pac-12, is potentially a big deal even if you aren’t a fan of the sport. Television contracts and the growth of broadcast institutions such as the Pac-12 Network are huge factors as more potential shakeups loom on the college sports landscape.

With streaming and mobile options continuing to evolve the major conferences are more than ever in the business of creating content as much as sponsoring sports. Lacrosse expansion fits both bills, giving a league such as the Pac-12 games to sell to its TV partners and more incentive for cable and satellite providers to get the Pac-12 Network on in big East Coast markets such as New York/New Jersey and Washington D.C./Baltimore.

It’s likely no coincidence the Big Ten, the league that pioneered the idea of a conference TV network, has begun sanctioning lacrosse.

If BYU and other Pac-12 schools are prepared to follow Utah, the Utes relatively quiet move is potentially a very big deal for all of college sports.

Growth

This is a US Lacrosse article from a year ago.

National Lacrosse Participation Grows 3.5 Percent in 2014

A total of 39 schools added varsity programs in 2014 alone, including NCAA Division I men’s programs at Boston University, Furman, Monmouth and Richmond and women’s programs at Colorado, Elon, Mercer and Michigan.

NCAA Report

NCAA Report: Lacrosse is Fastest-Growing College Sport

New Varsity College Programs

New Varsity College Programs ~ The Growth Blog - Chronicling the Growth of the Sport of Lacrosse
We have heard this before but now I beleive there is actual evidence that supports this...Lax is blowing up in the Southeast, Mid-west & west...Not too mention there is a number of schools who have recently created lax programs..Lax is more exciting than baseball and that is coming from someone who watches a ton of womens lax where the whistle blows every second...

Lax is a good sport for the typical person as average size helps in the overall game, not freakish height (hoops, Volleyball) or size (football). Like baseball, a little short, a little tall and no major issue so long as a person can keep up.

Though, could you imagine a Lax attack line of 300 lb guys running at the goalie with a hard throwing speed demon behind them...

There's many ways to define popularity and measure growth, and I really don't want to be antagonistic about this at all. Yes, participation in lacrosse has grown considerably. There is a tremendous lag between participation and development of a large scale TV/media audience. Sometimes that transition from participatory popularity to fan base/media audience popularity never happens at all. Hence my comment about soccer.

I mean, MLL averages about 4-5K people per game, and it really hasn't grown in 10 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Lacrosse#Attendance

And I can tell you from direct experience, it doesn't draw flies for ratings or streaming.

I like lacrosse, my son plays it and it's a fabulous sport. So don't get me wrong, I'm no hater. But in context of this discussion, how it adds value to a network, it's volume inventory. And it will not be premium inventory for more years than I expect to be in my line of work. :)

I was thinking about this one as your post also mentions Clay Travis:

What's the ACC Network Worth?
This guy is reductionist. He divides the ACC market into 9 states and then uses 'teams per state' to determine "popularity". Based on this analysis, he concludes that New York is questionable for ACC NW. Not much substance there.

Obviously, he hasn't been North of New York City.

If the BTN can get on in NYC with little representation, there stands an excellent chance that the ACC will get on in NY with major factions of alumni from Syracuse, BC, Miami, Duke, etc.

This guy must be friends with the Dude. He should be reminded that crack is not only illegal, it's bad for his health.

ESPN president John Skipper also will attend Thursday's unveiling.

Cn5RYaMWcAA6bVr.jpg

ACC Network Set to Launch in 2019 | News

ESPN and the Atlantic Coast Conference will launch the ACC Network – a comprehensive linear and digital network, it was announced today by ACC Commissioner John Swofford and ESPN President John Skipper at the conference’s annual Football Kickoff media event in Charlotte, N.C. The 20-year partnership will provide ACC fans unprecedented access to live events via a comprehensive, multi-platform network. It also provides for the extension of the conference’s existing rights agreement with ESPN to 2036. ESPN is the ACC’s exclusive worldwide rights holder.

Beginning in August 2016, fans can access more than 600 exclusive live events from across the conference via a digital live-events channel ‘ACC Network Extra’, immediately available to users who have access to ESPN3 via WatchESPN and the ESPN app, with that number growing each year. More than 1,300 ACC events will be distributed across the platforms in 2019 when the linear network launches.

The important question:

Will this be included with regular cable (like the SEC Network), or will this be a premium tier channel (like the Big Ten Net, Pac 12 Net, etc...)?

Joe Ovies ‏@joeovies 16m16 minutes ago
RE: Raycom/FSN games between ’16-’18. Was told ACC Extra was separate, therefore ESPN3 local blackouts still apply.

Andrew Bucholtz ‏@AndrewBucholtz 3m3 minutes ago

ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, ESPN Classic, SEC Network, Longhorn Network, ACC Network. We have ESPN8: The Ocho!

There's many ways to define popularity and measure growth, and I really don't want to be antagonistic about this at all. Yes, participation in lacrosse has grown considerably. There is a tremendous lag between participation and development of a large scale TV/media audience. Sometimes that transition from participatory popularity to fan base/media audience popularity never happens at all. Hence my comment about soccer.

I mean, MLL averages about 4-5K people per game, and it really hasn't grown in 10 years:

Major League Lacrosse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I can tell you from direct experience, it doesn't draw flies for ratings or streaming.

I like lacrosse, my son plays it and it's a fabulous sport. So don't get me wrong, I'm no hater. But in context of this discussion, how it adds value to a network, it's volume inventory. And it will not be premium inventory for more years than I expect to be in my line of work. :)
the games people play and the games people watch just aren't the same thing and we have decades of proof.

parents don't let their kids play football as much because they don't want their brains mashed in but they enjoy watching other people's grown kids do it.