ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 112 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

My son (an Arizona Wildcat) and are are constantly jockeying for whose school feels more screwed in the Conference alignment cluster.

He's leading now, although i gotta think Arizona will find a way somewhere
Bear Down

Gee i wish we didn't have a GOR
It would be fascinating our schedule if the GOR didn’t exist.

I still think if that was not around we would go slowly w wildhack and prob be a quasi independent and get hoops to the big east stat. Dana O’Neil of the Athletic speculated if big east would invite Syracuse back for hoops. I was surprised she even mentioned since it’s 0% likely until ACC remains upright

I don't get it.

Colorado doesn't move the needle to make the B12 schools richer. If no other P10 teams come along, it does nothing to kill off the P10. So why add Colorado now? Also you are diluting both the current FB and current BBall product.

Unless the TV contract is total crap, why would Colorado leave now? The B12 is something you settle on, not what you want. What is the benefit of leaving now when there will be a spot later should the P10 ever collapse.

If no other P10 teams come, then you gotta think UConn is the other team. So the B12 thinks adding what will be the worst P5 FB program to a conference that already has the current worst P5 FB program is a money maker?

BBall isn't a money maker. The Big East wasn't set to get a big TV contract. Nobody has wanted Kansas in expansion. How does making FB significantly worse going to get the B12 more money?

Heck Temple IMO is a better add and they are about 40 mins closer to Times Square than UConn. I am in CT pretty often and I see less UConn gear in comparison to RU gear in NJ, which I am also in pretty often.

Having one county in the NY TV market does not mean you are in NYC. Ask the B16. And I bet Kansas will want an MSG game and not Hartford, like what we saw with RU home games. If the B12 thinks UConn is anywhere near NYC, they are gravely mistaken. Good luck flying into NYC airports and driving to the Rent.

This won't impact our FB program much. UConn FB brand still stinks. They still have no fans. Even if they get 35k per game that is still one of the worst P5 programs, and that is about double their 4 year avg. They have no local recruits. The Northeast recruits are in NJ and PA. They have no incentive to go all the way to Storrs. UConn will be the least desirable Northeastern P5 FB program for recruits. Being in the B12 with no road games nearby won't change that.

I don't get it.

Colorado doesn't move the needle to make the B12 schools richer. If no other P10 teams come along, it does nothing to kill off the P10. So why add Colorado now? Also you are diluting both the current FB and current BBall product.

Unless the TV contract is total crap, why would Colorado leave now? The B12 is something you settle on, not what you want. What is the benefit of leaving now when there will be a spot later should the P10 ever collapse.

If no other P10 teams come, then you gotta think UConn is the other team. So the B12 thinks adding what will be the worst P5 FB program to a conference that already has the current worst P5 FB program is a money maker?

BBall isn't a money maker. The Big East wasn't set to get a big TV contract. Nobody has wanted Kansas in expansion. How does making FB significantly worse going to get the B12 more money?

Heck Temple IMO is a better add and they are about 40 mins closer to Times Square than UConn. I am in CT pretty often and I see less UConn gear in comparison to RU gear in NJ, which I am also in pretty often.

Having one county in the NY TV market does not mean you are in NYC. Ask the B16. And I bet Kansas will want an MSG game and not Hartford, like what we saw with RU home games. If the B12 thinks UConn is anywhere near NYC, they are gravely mistaken. Good luck flying into NYC airports and driving to the Rent.

This won't impact our FB program much. UConn FB brand still stinks. They still have no fans. Even if they get 35k per game that is still one of the worst P5 programs, and that is about double their 4 year avg. They have no local recruits. The Northeast recruits are in NJ and PA. They have no incentive to go all the way to Storrs. UConn will be the least desirable Northeastern P5 FB program for recruits. Being in the B12 with no road games nearby won't change that.
George waited too long and tried to leverage when he had zero leverage. Deal fatigue is never good. In a Declining market its usually death. Maybe he has an ace up his sleeve but all signs point to the pac Commissioner having badly misjudged the market and the timing of this deal.

It would be funny if the ACC took all but Washington State and Oregon State leaving an open slot. To fill that spot the ACC takes San Diego State, which would have been Colorado.

George waited too long and tried to leverage when he had zero leverage. Deal fatigue is never good. In a Declining market its usually death. Maybe he has an ace up his sleeve but all signs point to the pac Commissioner having badly misjudged the market and the timing of this deal.
The Pac problem that underlies all of them is arrogance based on having sold out the Rose Bowl to the BT and assuming that would forever make the pac a super league adored by many. But the realities of PST are stronger.

The Pac as a Power league in and of itself is now dead for all practical purposes. I doubt that the BT wants even Oregon and Washington. They have nothing the BT needs or can profit from. Stanford has a very close relationship with ND.

It would be funny if the ACC took all but Washington State and Oregon State leaving an open slot. To fill that spot the ACC takes San Diego State, which would have been Colorado.
The ACC cannot afford to add any dead weight, and dead weight is determined by TV drawing power. Colorado, Washington State and Oregon St would all be dead weight to the ACC. So would SDSU. The other 7 could be a west coast branch of the ACC with some value. But would that value be enough to the ACC to bother with it? We do need to learn that answer quickly in case it could help the ACC.

Looks like Arizona may be following Colorado.

The GOR is the equivalent of that door in the submarine that you can only open from the outside. Yeah, it protects you, but it also completely boxes you in when something unexpected happens and you need to respond.

I think the ACC is in very good shape at this point. The Big 12 commish is all hot air. Big twelve basketball in Mexico, Houston is Mexico's team. I give him credit for being proactive, but his league reminds me of a Greek diner. ACC needs to sit tight and play the long game.

I think the ACC is in very good shape at this point. The Big 12 commish is all hot air. Big twelve basketball in Mexico, Houston is Mexico's team. I give him credit for being proactive, but his league reminds me of a Greek diner. ACC needs to sit tight and play the long game.

Respect your take but disagree. I think if the ACC can't find a way to expand and bring in more $ for the big players within it, eventually somehow some way someone really shrewd will find a way out of the GOR deal OR at the very least, someone with VERY deep pockets will pay their way out.

That said, agreed adding Colorado State and Oregon State isn't going to do much. So they may have no CHOICE but to sit tight.

I'm curious if the ACC adds any schools if it would force a change to the GOR and give loopholes to any school that would want to leave?
I think thats part of the problem. Adding new schools I believe voids the GOR and requires it to be renegotiated, which makes it easier for Clemson and others to walk. But not adding the schools leaves them feeling they arent getting enough $ and makes them want to leave anyway. So it's a catch 22.

100% correct. The long game is the only play and frankly congress will intervene btw now and 2030 on reallignment anyway.

They are already changing the NIL. If I was a blue stater (hello Blumenthal and Schumer/Gildebrand and Warren and Markey)...i'd add legislation to the bill that Tuberville is proposing that puts a stop to crazy reallignment. College sports with 2 mega conferences will be scrutinized by the blue states impacted like California, Texas, Mass, NY, Florida (even)...a tremendous amount of the electoral college will want to be represented in whatever college sports becomes.

I'm curious if the ACC adds any schools if it would force a change to the GOR and give loopholes to any school that would want to leave?
Adding a school would be based on the agreement and would not affect the GOR

I think thats part of the problem. Adding new schools I believe voids the GOR and requires it to be renegotiated, which makes it easier for Clemson and others to walk. But not adding the schools leaves them feeling they arent getting enough $ and makes them want to leave anyway. So it's a catch 22.

And I'm sure Oregon and Washington would rather be in the Big 10 than the ACC and to be honest I'd hate to see another TCU to Big East to Big 12 quick turnaround with those 2 schools.

Adding a school would be based on the agreement and would not affect the GOR

But don't you think any school that wants an earlier option to leave wouldn't try to decrease years or have an early out negotiation to vote yes?

But don't you think any school that wants an earlier option to leave wouldn't try to decrease years or have an early out negotiation to vote yes?
I would think the GOR has provisions in it to add without it trigginerg a mass exodus. The thing was well written considering no one has left

It's the hotel california: you can check out any time you'd like but you can never leave.

Not sure a mass run to the Big 12 is a good thing for us. It's like we're on the Titanic, and the only lifeboat available to us, has its seats filling up fast.

Any member has three options. One asks for special consideration for a yes vote. Two Vote yes or no. Three abstain from voting.

Not sure a mass run to the Big 12 is a good thing for us. It's like we're on the Titanic, and the only lifeboat available to us, has its seats filling up fast.

So two schools nobody has any real long term interest in going to the B12 means we’re on the titanic. Weird take. If Uconn goes to the B12 tomorrow we might as well all stop watching Syracuse football b/c we’re DOOMED.

I'd rather go to a Greek diner, dependable and less travel.

Why would it break the GOR? That makes zero sense logically. Sounds like kook rumor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom