AJ Long will redshirt | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

AJ Long will redshirt

Not sure this is a wise move for AJ. Even if he barely played this year, he'd be getting second team reps in practice, assuming he won the second string job. Assuming Wilson is the number 2 (and why wouldn't he be?) he is going to come into next spring with a leg up. A.J. Long will pretty much be on equal footing with the two class of 2015 freshman. No meaningful reps in over a year, and not a lot of practice reps either.
Even if, come next spring, the coaches decide Wilson isn't the #1 guy, it would be really easy at that point to skip over Long in favor of the kid from out west, or the kid from Alabama.
Plus, for a team, and a coaching staff, that need some wins this season, it is odd they would let Long announce a redshirt so early. It makes me think they may be blowing him off because he doesn't fit into their plans ... sure go ahead and redshirt if you want, we don't really care, type thing.
If winning is the be all end all (which it is) you want the best available options on your depth chart, ready, willing and able to go every week. Not announcing they have no intentions of playing in the upcoming season.

.com ‏@ 3m3 minutes ago
@Stephen_Bailey1 Interesting, with the already announced redshirt. Wonder if Dungey or Womack will have a chance to earn QB2.

Stephen Bailey
‏@Stephen_Bailey1 18s19 seconds ago Syracuse, NY
.@ Seems like that was overblown. I wasn't there for that interview. Have to think he'll play if Hunt gets hurt.

Syracuse quarterback AJ Long says redshirting comments were taken out of context (PS: Mink)

The idea that AJ Long expected to redshirt in the 2015 season never made any sense when the story first surfaced two weeks ago.

Aside from fifth-year senior Terrel Hunt, Long is the most experienced quarterback on the roster. It was difficult seeing the coaching staff commit to placing Long on the shelf for a year. Too many variables could arise between now and the end of the season for such a decision to be made during spring practice.

Sure enough, Long clarified the issue earlier this week, saying his comments about redshirting this upcoming season were "taken out of context."

"It's not 100 percent sure that I'm redshirting," Long said. "If I were to go the rest of the spring and I would play the way I'm capable of playing, I could very well be starting this year, but there's a lot of things I have to take care of in order for that to happen."

my thought has always been that Hunt will take every snap unless he gets hurt or it's a blowout. If he gets hurt AJ will get the call. If its mop up it'll be Wilson.

AJ redshirts unless Hunt gets injured.

If AJ can win games then factor him into a gameplan but I can't see Lester platooning QB's.

What's stupid is blowing a redshirt for token snaps in a blowout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom