all the main guys contributed | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

all the main guys contributed

Yikes Howard deferred to better scorers instead of forcing shots against a top ten defense full of nba players.

Dude must not even care.

8 boards and 5 assists? Rebounds and assists dont win games, whats he thinking?!?!

Cant wait to force another point guard into kaleb joseph minutes instead of develop him because I just cant stand Frank!

and played well enough for us to win

battle. brissett. marek. chukwu

unfortunately 1 guy played so horrifically bad that we couldnt overcome it.

I love statements like this...

Tell me, what were your stats in your best NCAA Tournament game?

I love statements like this...

Tell me, what were your stats in your best NCAA Tournament game?
Oh yes this is relevant. Good question.

Back from my 5 day ban now :)

For the record, I do not hate Frank's game. He is a good defender and rebounder out of the top of the zone. He has good (enough) handle and can make some sweet passes. He is even deece at finishing in the lane via that floater of his. I was relatively vocal about him playing over Gillon last year (who was kind of the opposite of Frank, had an overall game I hate but occasionally would have a huge play/game.)

What I don't like about him is his cocky, lackadaisical attitude. That sly grin when he goes for a high risk alley-oop and misses by a mile. Or when he gets stripped in the backcourt and then makes a lazy foul out of frustration. Why are you smiling guy? Those were horrible plays! He just does not seem to value the ball enough. Sometimes (thankfully) this trait does not manifest itself in our games, or at least not enough to make a difference. But against Duke it was on full display, and I believe it actively cost us the game.

I think if he just played slightly more under control and made a few better decisions, we could easily have won last Fri, and going forward we could easily have a huge season next year. I am very worried his cockiness will cost us next year, when we will likely have a much better team. It was easier than normal to swallow this time as we were an 11 seed who barely got in playing with house money in the sweet 16. But if we are a 2 seed next year playing in the Elite 8 and lose a close one because he threw 3 balls into the stands, well, I don't even wanna think about it.

If Marek doesn’t committ some bad fouls - his first was a very poor decision and his 3rd given that he already had two was also bad- we might win. We couldn’t score with him out and went from winning to down 7 in the time he was out.

If Brissett shoots better than 5-15 and doesn’t dribble an offensive rebound off his foot when he was in position for a putback, we probably win.

If Battle doesn’t miss that free throw, we have a much better chance to steal the game late.

Not fair to single out one guy in a game where plenty of mistakes were made.

Howard’s 2 alley-oop attempt turnovers were maddeningly frustrating and bad plays, but he’s not the only guy who made some bad plays or that had a subpar game.

Battle is really the only guy who played a great game.

Marek would’ve played great if he didn’t hurt the team for those 8 minutes by being on the bench.

Brissett and Chukwu were ok.

Frank tried. I did like how he did defer and tried to get his teammates involved. He’s just overmatched sometimes and when he chooses to not get downhill (often) it discombobulates the offense even more when we just pass around the perimeter. There is only so much Marek can do and should be asked to do right now. Far too often a 2-3 zone (watch the Pitt or UConn games if you dare) stymied this guy because he couldn’t attack it which dribble penetration. What NC St and others did to us. He’s a SG. I don’t think his skill set is suited to be getting up and down the court regardless of the strategic design of the offense to slow it down and shorten the game. I think our pace will always be pretty slow with him. I think he can be a really good distributor/orchestrator next season but if we’re going to inject any life into this miserable offense and pace then it’s going to be with Carey or Bazely getting downhill when they have the ball.

agree 100000%. i cant believe the people defending frank. there were at least a couple duke 3s in 2nd half where frank didnt even bother giving a token run out to contest the shot. at least put a hand up! he literally turned to face the basket lol
Frank was an important part of a flawed team. He improved dramatically this year, compared to last year, all while having to guide the team at point (where he is not necessarily best suited) and playing 40 minutes. I have every expectation that he will continue to improve as a player, especially with help at the point and with extra bodies to spell him. He will be able to play some at the 2 and some at point. I love this team. Everybody played their hearts out, everybody made mistakes, but everybody also made winning plays in crunch time. Frank did this numerous times during the year.

Oh yes this is relevant. Good question.

Back from my 5 day ban now :)

For the record, I do not hate Frank's game. He is a good defender and rebounder out of the top of the zone. He has good (enough) handle and can make some sweet passes. He is even deece at finishing in the lane via that floater of his. I was relatively vocal about him playing over Gillon last year (who was kind of the opposite of Frank, had an overall game I hate but occasionally would have a huge play/game.)

What I don't like about him is his cocky, lackadaisical attitude. That sly grin when he goes for a high risk alley-oop and misses by a mile. Or when he gets stripped in the backcourt and then makes a lazy foul out of frustration. Why are you smiling guy? Those were horrible plays! He just does not seem to value the ball enough. Sometimes (thankfully) this trait does not manifest itself in our games, or at least not enough to make a difference. But against Duke it was on full display, and I believe it actively cost us the game.

I think if he just played slightly more under control and made a few better decisions, we could easily have won last Fri, and going forward we could easily have a huge season next year. I am very worried his cockiness will cost us next year, when we will likely have a much better team. It was easier than normal to swallow this time as we were an 11 seed who barely got in playing with house money in the sweet 16. But if we are a 2 seed next year playing in the Elite 8 and lose a close one because he threw 3 balls into the stands, well, I don't even wanna think about it.

So you did play in college? Or not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom