Any chance... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Any chance...

We should take more and more jr/senior transfer bigs. You never can go wrong with upperclass bigs. We tend to do well with upperclass bigs. Ricky, AO, Xmas as of late.

I'm willing to bet that the +/- when Chino is in is quite different than when Coleman is in.

I guess I'm not seeing what everybody else saw from Chino last year that shows he has skill of any kind to be playing 10-15 minutes at such a high level.
I saw a guy who had one decent game numbers wise, but even then was a little jittery. From what we saw, I agree with you. Nothing to show that he's ready for 10-15 minutes. Doesn't mean he's not going to be thrown into the fire right away and like jordoo says, fingers crossed and let's hope. Unless we have another body - 6'8 with weight (that rhymes and you know it rhymes ;) ), we've got to make it with what we've got. It's a stretch, I know. But I want to have faith in the kid, the underdog, the team with all these problems the past few years. That if it goes enough our way to the tourney and maybe even a sweet 16, we never gave up.

It completely ruins college sports for starters.

How? Instead of clandestine benefits you have an above board, explicit benefit which is made public. There will be a natural limitation as to who enters your program because only so many players are going to want to go to the same school at the same time.

What makes somebody a booster? Like, how high is the bar?

Do you actually have to make monetary donations or is just buying tickets enough?

What makes somebody a booster? Like, how high is the bar?

Do you actually have to make monetary donations or is just buying tickets enough?

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as “representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,” include anyone who has:

• Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
  • Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
  • Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
  • Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.
  • Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
  • Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.
  • Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.
Once an individual is identified as a “representative of the institution’s athletics interests,” the person retains that identity forever.

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as “representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,” include anyone who has:

• Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
  • Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
  • Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
  • Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.
  • Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
  • Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.
  • Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.
Once an individual is identified as a “representative of the institution’s athletics interests,” the person retains that identity forever.

So it looks like only these ones would apply to a casual fan (non-donor) who might hypothetically win the lotto and pay for a player's tuition:

- Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
- Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.

Kinda lame, since they'd be classified as a booster after-the-fact, so the player/team would technically be penalized for dealing with a non-booster. Interesting, though, and it obviously makes sense.

Side note: This one is incredibly vague and far-reaching:

- Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

does wearing an orange shirt count as promoting the university?

Is it illegal for parents to subsidize their children's tuition/room and board?

This does make me wonder how the NCAA treats relatives. I assume/hope to God parents and grandparents are allowed to pay for their child's/grandchild's education if they're an athlete. But I wonder where they draw the line.

Is a rich uncle who is a Duke booster allowed to pay for his 4* nephew from Oregon to go to Duke? How 'bout a 3rd cousin? 8th cousin 4 times removed?

This does make me wonder how the NCAA treats relatives. I assume/hope to God parents and grandparents are allowed to pay for their child's/grandchild's education if they're an athlete. But I wonder where they draw the line.

Is a rich uncle who is a Duke booster allowed to pay for his 4* nephew from Oregon to go to Duke? How 'bout a 3rd cousin? 8th cousin 4 times removed?

You wonder where they draw the line? That's the entire problem with the NCAA, they draw the line anywhere and then may move the line, then make it a crooked one, then some zig zag...then straight again.

You wonder where they draw the line? That's the entire problem with the NCAA, they draw the line anywhere and then may move the line, then make it a crooked one, then some zig zag...then straight again.
All I know, if you cross the line, DO NOT SELF REPORT THE INCIDENT.

So it looks like only these ones would apply to a casual fan (non-donor) who might hypothetically win the lotto and pay for a player's tuition:

- Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
- Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.

Kinda lame, since they'd be classified as a booster after-the-fact, so the player/team would technically be penalized for dealing with a non-booster. Interesting, though, and it obviously makes sense.

Side note: This one is incredibly vague and far-reaching:

- Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

So the operative word is "Assisted". You aren't a booster until after you do something booster-ish, then you are labeled a "Booster"

So you get one chance? Moving forward you can't give money, except the first time? :)

The problem is that they draw the line with invisible ink then yell at you for crossing it.

How? Instead of clandestine benefits you have an above board, explicit benefit which is made public. There will be a natural limitation as to who enters your program because only so many players are going to want to go to the same school at the same time.

Because then it becomes a bidding war, O Duke offered you this much, we will double it. It basically becomes a bidding war between the blue bloods for the best players. I don't understand this great need to play payers. They already getting something for free that most kids have to scrape for, and in some cases have to pay off loans for years.

Because then it becomes a bidding war, O Duke offered you this much, we will double it. It basically becomes a bidding war between the blue bloods for the best players. I don't understand this great need to play payers. They already getting something for free that most kids have to scrape for, and in some cases have to pay off loans for years.
I agree with you, and it seems that should be enough. But, most kids don't generate millions of dollars for the university. There are two revenue sports, football and men's basketball. The two sports have 98 scholarships between then, if I am correct. Those two sports generate how much money? I am not even sure. I can understand the players feeling like they deserve a little slice of the pie. Everyone around then is getting rich while they get a degree that many of them don't even understand the value until their free ride is over.

There's no bidding war. You know what tuition is for each school going in. It becomes a matter of which program you would like to attend considering all things. Sort of like it originally was.

I don't want to add a recruit just to add a recruit. I guess we can be good next year. It's the disaster scenario that's in play now if we have a front court injury.

Well, DJ's knees really worry me. I with there was a way we could get another center in the next five days. Maybe we will see Doyin Akintobi-Adeyeye actually get playing time. OMG.

No, but this won't be the last 14 year old they rule inelgible.
Rumor has it we have another 14 year old recruit from Africa who wants to play for Syracuse in 4 years and has been ruled Ineligible. The Ncaa is Headed overseas because his native tongue cannot translate to a actual 8th grade grade/mark according to ncaa american standards with schools who's connecting letters contain a CUS in their name .
They will also be factoring in the C+ he got for crawling in preschool( yes he was behind the curve), as well as his 5th grade art project which looked something like this.

i-see-stupid-people.jpg

Apparently they took this as a prophetic art project because they also went out of their way to include his
6th grade art projects...
Pink_Main2.jpg

and

Cartman-Screw-You-Guys.jpg

Anyway
In other news this also has inspired the ncaa with a new hobby near selected college campuses that are not wearing blue jerseys across america (such as UNC Duke and UK).
ERkzt5GKMs-2.png
attachment.php

And this has been your evening news. And remember,
Always Orange, Always Blamed!

Last edited:
orangefan13 said:
No, but this won't be the last 14 year old they rule inelgible. Rumor has it we have another 14 year old recruit from Africa who wants to play for us in 4 years, but the ncaa is Headed overseas to rule him inelgible because his native tongue cannot translate to a actual 8th grade grade mark according to ncaa american standards with connecting letters CUS in their name . They also want to factor in the C+ he got for crawling in preschool(he was behind the curve), and his 5th grade art project which they took as a future insult. It looked something like this. And his 6th grade art project as well. In other news this also has inspired the ncaa with a new hobby near selected college campuses across america (UNC Duke and UK are three not in this category).

Really?

Really?

no just a bad joke. But in all seriousness is he inelgible for Something in Africa 4 years ago or for something academically in america? I don't know if I was hearing it right, but all the rumors earlier were pointing towards his african classes. So african classes on what continent? Hes been in america for 3 years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom