Anyone who criticizes this performance should be banned | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone who criticizes this performance should be banned

Exactly. And their d line was in our backfield so quickly that none of that worked either.

Now tell me how you would have gotten that D line blocked before you start telling me about how different play calls would have made a difference.

Um, the same way we did in the first half...

He wasn't asked to be a pocket passer. Way too many bubbles to the outside. You cant beat good Ds that way.

They took away his ability to run. I think that limited what we could do offensively. And I still agree we were too conservative. We played for fg’s in the first quarter. Throw the ball in the end zone. Take shots.

What a great game. Everyone got their money's worth today. Clemson moved the ball all game but the D stopped them or slowed them most of the game...we just couldn't make the last couple of stops. Kudos to Clemson and their fans. I was hoping we could hold on at the end, but Clemson took the game over late in the 4th quarter. I'm disappointed, but thrilled we competed so well with them in Death Valley. Great game...

Kid hasn't played all year, didnt even get practice reps til this week. Stars dont matter there. They protected this "4 star" kid the entire half. We knew the run was coming g but still got gashed. If we play aggressively in the 3rd and go up by 16 we force the kid to put it in the air and thats a different outcome.

He played in 3/4 games before today. You’re acting like they suited up a D3 walk on.

And we got gashed because they’re better. The coaches came up with a game plan that put us in a position to win. Not to keep it close that some of our prior coaches hung their hats on, but to win. The players played their hearts out to try to win. Sometimes you just lose and there’s no blame to be had.

Kid hasn't played all year, didnt even get practice reps til this week. Stars dont matter there. They protected this "4 star" kid the entire half. We knew the run was coming g but still got gashed. If we play aggressively in the 3rd and go up by 16 we force the kid to put it in the air and thats a different outcome.

“Play aggressively”. Yeah. That’s all there is to it when it comes to scoring points.

You’re not even digging deep into the bash the coaching book of cliches for that one.

Kind of felt like they didn't call that play much. Which I'm fine with. Getting out of there with Dungey in tact and no other major injuries and almost pulling the upset again is great. Gotta do something about that run defense though.
I didn’t think about this and you are correct. The fact that we came away with no serious injuries (that we know of) is huge. I still have faith in our defense. I think Babers can make some necessary adjustments and we will be fine.

Right. If we had moved the ball and ran out of time, I can see people sticking to the timeouts criticism.

Given what happened...it had zero impact on the game either way. The “unnecessary roughness” penalty for blocking put us in such a hole that we didn’t have a prayer of moving on them...whether we had 1:30 or 0:45 seconds on the clock.
Another bad call by the refs. Unnecessary Roughness, what???

And how would you have ensured that Dungey had enough time to make the throws on these aggressive play calls over the middle?
By throwing on first down

If we played more conservatively, we may have won (leap of faith I know). But when we had the ball with 6:48, I would have run the ball all 3 plays. Maybe we get a first, maybe we don't. But get that clock to around 4 when Clemson is pinned back. Put even more pressure on a young inexperienced QB.

I realize (and love) that playing slow isn't what we do. But it still has to be in your arsenal at certain times. Was all about milking the clock at that point.

I like the direction this team is going but there are still some holes and execution issues that need to be addressed if SU wants to continue to improve (which I think they will).

Clemson has the best DL, speed and probably one of the best OL's (BC the other) they will face. Now to grow from that and get the RB's 5 yards per and the WR's to keep improving while ED makes sure his mechanics are as sound as he can. Gradually...be able to put more in the box (when needed) and have the DB's line up tight and win their battle so this can be accomplished. Lots to be happy about I agree but to get to that next level lots to improve on too.

Love the direction they are going and it feels good to know the depth is getting there in some areas and is there in other areas.

People act as if the coaches wanted the offense to struggle.. the Clemson defense was just really really good.

People are delusional. Was a good game
Absolutely
I was devastated because we we were so close. But what a big sign of a program on the rise !

If we played more conservatively, we may have won (leap of faith I know). But when we had the ball with 6:48, I would have run the ball all 3 plays. Maybe we get a first, maybe we don't. But get that clock to around 4 when Clemson is pinned back. Put even more pressure on a young inexperienced QB.

I realize (and love) that playing slow isn't what we do. But it still has to be in your arsenal at certain times. Was all about milking the clock at that point.
I agree with this.

I also think we should have looked to throw long a little more, but other than that there isn't a whole lot to disagree with.

I agree with this.

I also think we should have looked to throw long a little more, but other than that there isn't a whole lot to disagree with.

With Pierce out, we went 5 wide quite a bit, especially on 3rd down. One thing I noticed is that when Clemson would show blitz off the edge, we didn't seem to change. Everyone is in single coverage, you have to take a shot on those. Worst case it's an INT, which is the same as a punt. Best case you beat your guy and either catch the ball or draw PI/holding.

There's no one to help protect, so the blitzes were getting right in. Have to recognize that.

Not diagreeing with you but we only ran 67 total offensive plays:
26 run...41 pass
Clemson ran 82 total Offensive plays:
53 run...29 pass

Dino has said on more than one occasion that to be successful you must stop the run which we failed to do yesterday.

Clemson actually succeeded to do to us what we normally do to our opponents...wear them down with a chance to win in the 4th quarter.

Not diagreeing with you but we only ran 67 total offensive plays:
26 - run...41 pass
Clemson ran 82 total Offensive plays:
53 - run...29 pass

Dino has said on more than one occasion that to be successful you must stop the run which we failed to do yesterday.

Clemson actually succeeded to do to us what we normally do to our opponents...wear them down with a chance to win in the 4th quarter.

I was just more thinking that one drive. In hindsight, it probably wasn't the time/place for 3 throws or snapping the ball with 23 seconds left on the clock. But as others have said, I do appreciate Dino's ability to say this is what we're going to do and challenging the team. Long game.

Clemson was determined to establish that run right from the 2nd half whistle. I'm impressed with our front 4 pass rush (3 man rush even had a sack), but the line was pushed around for most of the 2nd half. LBs and safeties couldn't cover every gap. Something to keep an eye on. Was it just that Clemson's run game is that good? I hope so.

By throwing on first down

We did. Excluding the last possession where we had to throw, we had 10 first down plays in the second half.

We ran on 5 and threw on five.

“Aggressive play calling”. Yeah. That would’ve kept their DL from living in our backfield the whole second half.
You are missing the point. It wasn’t just aggressive playcalling.

It was aggressive playcalling together with Babers reminding th O line to block the way they did in the first half.

Banned for a few days did some good.

I positively lost my mind. Just wanted to apologize to everyone in the game thread, chat, and the board in general.

That said I'm going to stay away for a few more.
Just to be clear, the 'like' was for the apology and introspection, not for staying away longer. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom