Army Gameday... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Army Gameday...

He could have closed the gap a little bit and still had a open net.

Or we might of had numbers if a few guys went with him (I'll have to see the replay).

Or he could have waited.
Did seem like he could have closed the gap and still had an open net. Man he's not gonna be able to sleep all week seeing that open net in front of him. Ughh everything is different if he buries that.

Did seem like he could have closed the gap and still had an open net. Man he's not gonna be able to sleep all week seeing that open net in front of him. Ughh everything is different if he buries that.

Was the classic rush to shoot when he had more time. Almost like a guy with a wide open crease look who shoots into the goalies chest. Thought it looked good at first but it sailed on him a bit. He would have been better off running a few more yards or re-setting. Hindsight is 20/20 but you can't miss that shot if you take it.

faceoffs and goalie play. Not good enough.
Not having Stevens on the wing hurt. I can't blame this game on Will Mark. He made some big saves. I think JeremyCuse said it right he needs to adjust to lower volume of shots on goal. He's used to getting peppered all game and maybe has to adjust something to keep his mind mentally focused. The kid has proved he's capable of making big time saves. He seems to make them at the biggest moments which is why I think he falls a sleep a little not facing the volume of shots he's used to. He lets up goals during the game that he normally makes.

Was the classic rush to shoot when he had more time. Almost like a guy with a wide open crease look who shoots into the goalies chest. Thought it looked good at first but it sailed on him a bit. He would have been better off running a few more yards or re-setting. Hindsight is 20/20 but you can't miss that shot if you take it.
Yep can't miss that shot. Just can't

I was at my kids lax game. Saw the score. Unfortunate. What is the breakdown of the game?

Tough loss

My concerns after the Maryland game remain (I can only judge our team based upon when we play a good team, so, to me, we’re 0-2 on the season; although we are only two plays away from being 6-0)
-I don’t know if we have a single All American (1st, 2nd, or 3rd team AA) on our team. Maybe Rice is an AA SSDM? Maybe Leo, but he just struggled today, which may happen when gets poled more in the future. It’s hard to win close games against good defensive teams without having an AA on offense that can step up in the clutch moments. Sorry, Spallina may end up being SUs all-time leading scorer, racking up points against lesser teams, but he’s again not an All American this year (too slow to run by them and not strong enough to overpower good D1 defenseman when he tries to back them down, and those great passes of his become turnovers if he/we can’t dodge and create a slide, which open up his passing lanes)
-We REALLY need another solid SSDM. That’s what cost us the game today. Trujillo got beaten for 3 goals and Levine got beaten for 2 goals. Our SSDM injuries are killing us. Who else do we have? I realize this sounds weird, given his size, but I’d play Hottle on SSDM. He held is own today on D
-Rhoa needs to get the ball more. For a team that cannot dodge, to not utilize him more is criminal. He should be a 1st line middie
-The inability for any of our attackman to dodge and our lack of speed among any of our attackman is embarrassing
-Our best 6 offensive players need to be on the field as much as possible: Leo, Spallina, and Birtwistle/Mule at attack, and Rhoa, English, and Stevens at 1st line middie (I still see the potential in Thomson, but his shooting slump has just gone on too long now)

Last edited:
Kid choked the shot. Wasn't set.
Man up O was really disjointed. This needs to be addressed .
Thought the refs missed multiple calls that went against us.
Two maybe three pipes cost us.
We are extremely skilled but our lack of physicality is the Achilles heel of this team.

Kid choked the shot. Wasn't set.
Man up O was really disjointed. This needs to be addressed .
Thought the refs missed multiple calls that went against us.
Two maybe three pipes cost us.
We are extremely skilled but our lack of physicality is the Achilles heel of this team.

Watched the Mule shot on replay a few times finally.

Two things stood out
1. There was definitely no fast break happening, he either takes the shot or the O re-sets.

2. Almost looked like he got caught in between just shooting to the net or bouncing it and ended up with something in between. Feels like if he just tried to reach the net in the air it probably goes in.

Watched on delay. Maybe March is not the answer. He did well when he had Sowers at Princeton but can’t find the magic without an offensive weapon. I want Joey Spallina to be a dominate #22 but so far in his career that has not been the case. Hiltz has kind of regressed. Say what you will about Kevin Donahue but his offenses were good with a variety of players. Our offense stalls during big moments.

As a fan I love that they zoom in on the coaches during the broadcast so we can hear the huddles. March dropped a nice f bomb and otherwise I didn’t think his call was that impressive. I am a Desko guy so am biased but I used to love when he would add his input during those timeouts back in the day when he was on the camera huddle cams. His plays often times led to a good shot.

On defense, it kind of made me sad that Syracuse defensively had to zone it up against Army near the end of the game. We used to have that lock down brash defender (Beardsley, McCabe, Joe White, Glatzel, Sol Bliss, Marshall Abrams, etc.) who we could turn to make it tough on a team in a tight spot. Maybe the game has changed as I don’t know if there are takeaway defenders anymore. Syracuse never played zone for years as I remember.

I really want this team to turn the corner. It is hard I suppose to be disappointed with two overtime losses. As a previous poster said they are 0-2 against good teams. Sorry to ramble. I just finished watching and needed an outlet. GO ORANGE

On defense, it kind of made me sad that Syracuse defensively had to zone it up against Army near the end of the game. We used to have that lock down brash defender (Beardsley, McCabe, Joe White, Glatzel, Sol Bliss, Marshall Abrams, etc.) who we could turn to make it tough on a team in a tight spot. Maybe the game has changed as I don’t know if there are takeaway defenders anymore. Syracuse never played zone for years as I remember.

I really want this team to turn the corner. It is hard I suppose to be disappointed with two overtime losses. As a previous poster said they are 0-2 against good teams. Sorry to ramble. I just finished watching and needed an outlet. GO ORANGE
Fair point but the zone call was only made with limited time left after a time out. Most times when a coach does that it is not because they don't trust their defense, it is more to make the offense have to change their play call out of a time-out, as often times teams will have a dedicated zone scheme on offense since not all plays work against zone..

Bit of a chess move that has worked twice now for Odierna and the defense in late game situations out of timeouts, once against MD and once against Army.

Tough loss

My concerns after the Maryland game remain (I can only judge our team based upon when we play a good team, so, to me, we’re 0-2 on the season)
-I don’t know if we have a single All American (1st, 2nd, or 3rd team AA) on our team. Maybe Rice is an AA SSDM?
-We REALLY need another solid SSDM. That’s what cost us the game today. Trujillo got beaten for 3 goals and Levine got beaten for 2 goals. Our SSDM injuries are killing us. Who else do we have? I realize this sounds weird, given his size, but I’d play Hottle on SSDM. He held is own today on D
-Rhoa needs to get the ball more. For a team that cannot dodge, to not utilize him more is criminal. He should be a 1st line middie
-The inability for any of our attackman to dodge is embarrassing
-Our best 6 offensive players need to be on the field as much as possible: Leo, Rhoa, English, Spallina, Stevens, and Birtwistle or Mule
I do agree the short sticks had a bad game except for Rice. Need to have at least 2 solid shortys who u can play in crunch time and unfortunately we only have 1 in Rice. Levine is big boy but today his lack of foot speed showed and idk Trujillo was such a highly recruited shorty out of HS and just hasn't taking that next step. He's pretty much the same as last yr. He needs to get bigger. Idk why they don't give Titus more run and see what he has? Yes D3 is a big difference but he was supposedly the best in all of D3. Kempey doesn't even mix in anymore he at least has the foot speed. Jake Spallina is gonna be good he has the foot speed and tough just needs to add some muscle. Right now tho my top 2 would be Rice and Spallina not Trujillo. I hope Aviles left for academic reasons cause he's mixing in every 3 shifts at Hopkins yet would be in the top 2 here if he stayed. I think he left cause of Petro calling TOs on him when pushed transitions. Wonder if he knew Petro was leaving if he would have stayed. Idk why they didn't go after Eli Fisher the transfer from Wagner who is playing great for Ohio State this yr. I loved his game film and wnated him. He's big, physical and fast which is exactly what u need in shorty. Coaches knew we lost Aviles and Murphy and relied on young guys this yr. Sure Rosa got hurt but Rosa is Levine big physical but lacks foot speed too. Should have brought in more shortys. That group has to get better now that the competition is tougher.

I think Gaits free flowing offensive philosophy needs to be reeled in a bit. I think that could contributing to the lackadaisical turnovers and bad decision making
This.

I like that Gary emulates Slugger’s free flowing creative approach to offense. (Cultivating Slugger’s hairstyle is a topic for a different thread)

That philosophy was much easier in the 80s & 90s when SU routinely had superior talent. Desko was so successful in his first ten years because he knew how to balance a level of discipline needed to win with the creative talent he had.

I know the team has a lot of young talent. These guys need better guidance during some of these lulls when they’re spraying it everywhere or forcing it.

I do agree the short sticks had a bad game except for Rice. Need to have at least 2 solid shortys who u can play in crunch time and unfortunately we only have 1 in Rice. Levine is big boy but today his lack of foot speed showed and idk Trujillo was such a highly recruited shorty out of HS and just hasn't taking that next step. He's pretty much the same as last yr. He needs to get bigger. Idk why they don't give Titus more run and see what he has? Yes D3 is a big difference but he was supposedly the best in all of D3. Kempey doesn't even mix in anymore he at least has the foot speed. Jake Spallina is gonna be good he has the foot speed and tough just needs to add some muscle. Right now tho my top 2 would be Rice and Spallina not Trujillo. I hope Aviles left for academic reasons cause he's mixing in every 3 shifts at Hopkins yet would be in the top 2 here if he stayed. I think he left cause of Petro calling TOs on him when pushed transitions. Wonder if he knew Petro was leaving if he would have stayed. Idk why they didn't go after Eli Fisher the transfer from Wagner who is playing great for Ohio State this yr. I loved his game film and wnated him. He's big, physical and fast which is exactly what u need in shorty. Coaches knew we lost Aviles and Murphy and relied on young guys this yr. Sure Rosa got hurt but Rosa is Levine big physical but lacks foot speed too. Should have brought in more shortys. That group has to get better now that the competition is tougher.
Great points, although I’m not sure if Jake Spallina has the speed. The Rosa injury and the Clary injury have been huge losses for this team. Anyone have an injury update on Clary? I’m assuming he’s done for the year when I saw him being carried off the field (damn Colgate thugs, that game was Way too physical, and the injury to Clary in that game killed our season), but would it kill the Post Standard lax writer to at least mention Clary’s injury and whether he can return in an article? Also, anyone have a timeline on when Stevens can come back?

Last edited:
Great points. The Rosa injury and the Clary injury have been huge losses for this team. Anyone have an injury update on Clary? I’m assuming he’s done for the year when I saw him being carried off the field (damn Colgate thugs, that game was Way too physical, and the injury to Clary in that game killed our season), but would it kill the Post Standard lax writer to at least mention Clary’s injury and whether he can return in an article?

Done for the year.

Gait takes a page out of Dino's playbook and doesn't talk a lot about injuries.

Done for the year.

Gait takes a page out of Dino's playbook and doesn't talk a lot about injuries.
Thanks. Damn. Poor kid. Not again. I figured, but it’s helpful to know. Anyone have a timeline on when Stevens can come back?

That 2nd SSDM position and the inability of any of our attackman to dodge due to lack of speed are our teams weakest links.

If I were coach: play Hottle at SSDM (no one else looks fast enough), move Leo to attack (sit Hiltz), move Rhoa to 1st line middie, and move Thomson to 2nd line middie (assuming Stevens is healthy). We’re only 2 plays away from being 6-0, so at least we’re close to being a good team (and at least we can’t blame face-off’s for our losses)

Last edited:
Thanks. Damn. Poor kid. Not again. I figured, but it’s helpful to know. Anyone have a timeline on when Stevens can come back?

That 2nd SSDM position and the inability of any of our attackman to dodge are our teams weakest links. Play Hottle at SSDM (no one else looks fast enough), move Leo to attack (sit Hiltz), and move Rhoa to 1st line middie. We’re only 2 plays away from being 6-0, so at least we’re close to being a good team (and at least we can’t blame face-off’s for our losses)

According to Gait's media session from earlier in the week, Stevens has an "upper body injury", and he's close to returning.

Hottle is 5-7, 150#. That's tiny.

I guess Kempney has fallen out of favor which is too bad because he has solid size and athleticism I always thought he could be a good option. Losing Aviles was such a bummer, and it looks like Hopkins finally has some good depth at that position this year so yeah doesn't look like he's getting a ton of run. I say this of course without having access to practice but they have a lot of poles sitting on the bench, they gave Clary a short stick but sadly he's out, I would think there's gotta be another kid or two that could be converted and would love a chance to see the field? Watching the breakdowns on defense last night is making me nervous when I think about the games against the ACC, Cornell etc.

Just finished watching the replay. Another game they should’ve won by won 5. Offense is too immature, defense lacks cohesion and no one can pick up a ground ball off the wing. Until those things change they won’t get over the hump.

According to Gait's media session from earlier in the week, Stevens has an "upper body injury", and he's close to returning.

Hottle is 5-7, 150#. That's tiny.
Good news about Stevens. Thanks!

I agree, and I hear you about Hottle‘s size, but he actually held up fine playing D. We used Hottle like Stevens against Army, so he played D after the face-off, and he was solid on D. He’s fast enough to keep up with the dodger. Who else is there? Maybe even try giving Kol is a shortstick if Caccamo is going to play over him. I haven‘t seen another SSDM, besides Rice, with enough foot speed to stay with their man. Trujillo and Levine get beaten too often and too easily. I’m also not sure Jake Spallina is fast enough. Without Rosa and Clary we're desperate for that 2nd SSDM position. Maryland and Army both repeatedly attacked and beat our non-Rice SSDM

I'm not a diehard pro or anti Gait guy but part of me wonders if he's just not the answer. The CEO type of HC might work in the women's game but it's simply not working here.

Be it March or Gait they have to make some personnel changes.
As you may or may not remember, I was not a huge fan of the Gait hiring. At all. Maybe I was right, maybe I was wrong.

But when Army scored to make it SU 11-10, any of us could have written the script for the last ~20 minutes of the game. :(

As you may or may not remember, I was not a huge fan of the Gait hiring. At all. Maybe I was right, maybe I was wrong.

But when Army scored to make it SU 11-10, any of us could have written the script for the last ~20 minutes of the game. :(
I’m with you. He just seems to stand there. I don’t get the sense he’s in there working plays and watching tape. Gives me the, I’ll shake hands and kiss babies vibe and collect my check. Thought that when he was the womens coach too. His name carries weight, but will that be enough.

Good news about Stevens. Thanks!

I agree, and I hear you about Hottle‘s size, but he actually held up fine playing D. We used Hottle like Stevens against Army, so he played D after the face-off, and he was solid on D. He’s fast enough to keep up with the dodger. Who else is there? Maybe even try giving Kol is a shortstick if Caccamo is going to play over him. I haven‘t seen another SSDM, besides Rice, with enough foot speed to stay with their man. Trujillo and Levine get beaten too often and too easily. I’m also not sure Jake Spallina is fast enough. Without Rosa and Clary we're desperate for that 2nd SSDM position. Maryland and Army both repeatedly attacked and beat our non-Rice SSDM
Don't forget Rosa lacked foot speed too. He was the slowest last yr. He's good for games like last night where it's physical and can snag GBs. Like to see Titus get a shot and yeah maybe ask someone with a pole not getting PT and idk I would rather play and grab a short stick if I was them. That's why I don't get why it wasn't more of a necessity in the Portal for a SSDM knowing Aviles and Murphy were gone. We at least had 3 solid last yr just lacked depth but this yr really only have 1. I know ppl talk about Rosa but before the season we all talked about his lack of foot speed too. They knew this team needed someone to match with Rice. I guess they figured Titus but he really hasn't got much of a shot. Maybe he struggles in practice but some guys are better practice players and some game day players. Maybe he steps up on game day. Worth a shot and definitely asking someone maybe Schmitt the kid from the Mount? Kid was an excellent LSM and not getting PT maybe he would give it a shot. Gotta do something or they will struggle vs ACC teams big time.

I just can’t get over the fact that we had both of these games. I would be more inclined to scrap everything from the head coach to the starting lineup if we were not so damn close to victory against both of these tough opponents. My only legit long term concern right now is our presence in the midfield. Not having Rosa Clary or Stevens in this one could have easily been the difference and our ssdm unit will continue to be a concern going forward. We have a stable of lsms all healthy as can be but our area of most concern has had three injuries. Just a classic Syracuse nightmare.

I don’t know how to feel about gait. Is he to blame for some of these human errors our players are making down the stretch? A coach and OC can help generate the looks but the players need to execute on the field. More often than not we are getting that quality look. We are not getting bodied by these teams. We are two plays away from being in the conversation for #1 in the country. Idk lots of good points being made. I’ll join in more when I get over what a total freaking nightmare this has been. So close to being the biggest hyped team in the nation. Now getting laughed at once again. So freaking terrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom