Assistant Coach Possibilities | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Assistant Coach Possibilities

Whoever it is, we need to have this hire be Troy Weaver caliber -- someone who can turn recruiting around and breathe an infusion of life into a stale program.

I wouldn't mind seeing a complete shakeup of the staff, but I don't expect that to happen.

Whoever it is, we need to have this hire be Troy Weaver caliber -- someone who can turn recruiting around and breathe an infusion of life into a stale program.

I wouldn't mind seeing a complete shakeup of the staff, but I don't expect that to happen.
It basically will if GMAC goes west. We will have no shortages of applications to fill Hop's spot. Who wouldn't want to come learn under one of the top head coaches of all time.

th

That crossed my mind.

I actually think Devo would be better than Gerry.
I could see Devo replacing G-Mac (if he follows Hop to UW), but not Hop.

Wonder who recruited for NC St and the fired Gottfried? He always recruited talent very well but they'd transfer, not develop and underachieve as a team.

I wish GMac would go with Hop. A man can dream. I'm usually on the side of JB, but his biggest fault is his love of GMac. Did Troy Weaver leave his memory? We need someone outside the family, badly.

JB will be a popular man at this year's Final Four; young coaches from all over the country will be pressing their CVs into his hands

whether its a great job or not, it would represent a big step up and tremendous resume enhancer for 90% o/t assistant coaching population

I've previously mentioned Mike Mennenga in another thread and JTIII jokingly in this thread. Another option could be Brandin Knight.

He played at Pitt and was an assistant coach there from 2008-2016. Jamie Dixon endorsed him as his successor, but the Pitt AD chose an experienced coach who would play a more exciting, up-tempo offense in Kevin Stallings. Obviously that hasn't worked out, and Knight is now an assistant at Rutgers, even though he had HC offers from other schools. He's a well-established recruiter in the northeast region and could be a good #2 AC behind Autry and ahead of G-Mac if we went that route. I'm not sure if there would be mutual interest since Knight very well may hate Syracuse as a rival player/coach, but Syracuse is definitely an upgrade over Rutgers. He could be a good short-term fix in the recruiting department, but I think once Kevin Stallings is fired from Pitt (probably in 2-3 years), Knight could be a leading candidate for their HC job again.

That said, Mennenga would still be my #1 choice if I got to choose, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see JB look for a Syracuse alumni.

Only one criteria, can he deliver recruits.

I don't care if he can coach worth a damn. Bring in talent, everything else gets better.

Huh Etan? Last I heard about a year or 2 ago, Otis was a corrections officer working with troubled youth not a coach. Rather have Herman Harried. For big men, I'd even look at a unique choice like Lasalle Thompson known for working with big men in the NBA. Would love to see what he could do in the college level.
LaSalle Thompson - Wikipedia

Anyone think Louis Orr comes back. He is available. Former Big East Coach of year. MAC Coach of year. And won a MAC championship.

Then give HC job to Red and let Orr be his right hand man.
Why. TERRIBLE RECRUITER! Used his pulpate to preach the gospel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom