Attendance | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Attendance

Scooch said:
But seriously, let's count tickets sold on Ticketmaster. I'm predicting 46K there tomorrow. Maybe a sell out with the walk up. ;)

Counting tix on the SU site isn't hard it's just tedious.

Kind of wish they did the one free ticket with every season ticket purchase for this game just like last year vs. Nova. Would have atleast helped slightly with the overall butts in seats. But I will still be there tonight blissfully excited.. until half time =)

Yeah, let's blame our attendance on the fans/alumni that live across the country when there is almost 650,000 people just in the Syracuse Metro area (with Rochester right down the road), and we can't fill a 49k stadium. GTFOH.

I had to defend out of towners last year in a similar thread (every year it seems). First of all, we make our money from TV, not the ticket sales from the townies that do show up. The people watching at home are valuable to the program just as much as the fans in the stands (TV contracts). Secondly, a lot of us out of town folks, go out of our way to make it to road games that are a little closer to where we live, and cost A LOT more money than going to a game at the Dome. Where are you locals at then? If it's reasonable for you to expect us to travel 9+ hours to get to the Dome, than carry your butts down here, ya hypocrites!

the wake game would have been the one i would have promoted. a bad opponent labor day weekend was always going to be a tough sell. did they do any promoting at all this year like the usually do? the season ticket +1 and the coaches promotion from last year didnt happen but other than normal package deals little else seemed to be done.

the wake game would have been the one i would have promoted. a bad opponent labor day weekend was always going to be a tough sell. did they do any promoting at all this year like the usually do? the season ticket +1 and the coaches promotion from last year didnt happen but other than normal package deals little else seemed to be done.
Coming off a 3 win year and opening with Rhode Island there is no promotion in the world that would have gotten people to this game. They could have announced FREE tickets and they would have still had trouble getting people to show up

Coming off a 3 win year and opening with Rhode Island there is no promotion in the world that would have gotten people to this game. They could have announced FREE tickets and they would have still had trouble getting people to show up
which is why i wondered why the didnt do anything for wake or even cent mich yet

which is why i wondered why the didnt do anything for wake or even cent mich yet

Not true at all. Used to be plenty of alumni.

When? Alumni that stay local sure. Those 5 to 6 hours away in big cities never in any numbershow. Alumni hasn't stayed local in 30 years.

Last edited:
For sake of argument

50k capacity
3k students
2k visitor
25k season ticket holders
5k walk up
That leaves 15k unaccounted for on average

Put an exciting, winning product on the field, you will find another 10k

The other 5k are going to be 'event' type fans

These discussions are futile, because until we are winning 8-9 games consistently and winning home games with exciting play, the crowds will continue to be what they are.

For sake of argument

50k capacity
3k students
2k visitor
25k season ticket holders
5k walk up
That leaves 15k unaccounted for on average

Put an exciting, winning product on the field, you will find another 10k

The other 5k are going to be 'event' type fans

These discussions are futile, because until we are winning 8-9 games consistently and winning home games with exciting play, the crowds will continue to be what they are.

Nah man. Nova was a thriller. We won on a pass by our holder. That's the definition of excitement.

Bayside44 said:
When? Alumni that stay local sure. Those 5 to 6 hours away in big cities never in any number never in any real number. Alumni hasn't stayed local in 30 years.

Maybe not alumni but just out of town fans but there used to be a boatload of RVs parked at Manley and a full lot of them on Henry St. Where'd those people all go?

In the 90s we had a team that was perennially in or around the top 25, had recognizable, marketable stars, scored a lot of points, had generally lousy-to-nonexistent marketing...and averaged 46-48K every year.

This isn't rocketship science.

Of all the things we debate here attendance is the most ridiculous. There's only one solution and we all know what it is. And that solution proven out every November-March.

My favorite topic. New thread for it every season. Everyone who goes to the games sees the empty dome, then attempts to explain it by placing blame on any of a number of factors. Some of which include, but not limited to:
A) Lack of wins/ poor product (fairweather fans)
B) Lack of support by locals
C) Lack of support by students/fans/alumni
D)Environmental factors (leaves, rain)
E) competition (fair, sale at tj maxx, internet Pron)
F) Economics (high poverty rate)
G)Poor advertising/media communication
H) Parking
I) TV coverage (if its on t.v., why go?)

If I had to pick one, I blame competition. Most people I know are aware of a game most weeks, but usually have something else lined up. Of course, people would also gladly rearrange their schedule if they happened to be basketball tickets, so iI dunno.

Because its still a team coming off a 3 win season vs a bad opponent. There is literally nothing they can give away to get people to go to these games until the team starts winning.

The only thing you can control is your fanny in the seats. Show up, stand up, cheer and have a good time.

It's pretty simple. Don't try to control the "uncontrollables" ie the seasonal fans.

Maybe not alumni but just out of town fans but there used to be a boatload of RVs parked at Manley and a full lot of them on Henry St. Where'd those people all go?

Got old, died, moved away, etc...

You'll see some of those folks at UVa and NC State and GT and USF (yay Mark! ;)) where they moved to.

Yeah, let's blame our attendance on the fans/alumni that live across the country when there is almost 650,000 people just in the Syracuse Metro area (with Rochester right down the road), and we can't fill a 49k stadium. GTFOH.

I had to defend out of towners last year in a similar thread (every year it seems). First of all, we make our money from TV, not the ticket sales from the townies that do show up. The people watching at home are valuable to the program just as much as the fans in the stands (TV contracts). Secondly, a lot of us out of town folks, go out of our way to make it to road games that are a little closer to where we live, and cost A LOT more money than going to a game at the Dome. Where are you locals at then? If it's reasonable for you to expect us to travel 9+ hours to get to the Dome, than carry your butts down here, ya hypocrites!
As soon as folks from the 'Cuse start traveling to every away game, their claims that alums that live many hours away are to blame for lack of attendance is laughable. I bleed orange and blue (and grey, and white I guess) and live eight hours away. I might make one to two games a year. I can't make six or seven, just like townies can't travel to every away game. So trying to make this an alumni problem is ludicrous.

Could we have better alum showings? Sure. I would love to see true outreach on the part of the AD's office looking for alums within a three hour radius. Fact of the matter is, most alums move five hours or more away from the 'Cuse when they leave. Trying to blame lagging attendance figures on the alumni base is like me bagging on locals who don't travel to all games within a seven hour radius. It makes no sense.

Coming off 3-9 and against an FBS opponent on Labor Day weekend? I'm pretty sure if you dug up the thread when the game time and opponent were announced you'd see just about everyone saying we'd have poor attendance.

I think out of towers and alumni get a pass for this one. Who is traveling (outside of the board diehards) to get to this game?! Save your $, get loud for LSU, Clemson, Pitt, and BC.

My favorite topic. New thread for it every season. Everyone who goes to the games sees the empty dome, then attempts to explain it by placing blame on any of a number of factors. Some of which include, but not limited to:
A) Lack of wins/ poor product (fairweather fans)
B) Lack of support by locals
C) Lack of support by students/fans/alumni
D)Environmental factors (leaves, rain)
E) competition (fair, sale at tj maxx, internet Pron)
F) Economics (high poverty rate)
G)Poor advertising/media communication
H) Parking
I) TV coverage (if its on t.v., why go?)

If I had to pick one, I blame competition. Most people I know are aware of a game most weeks, but usually have something else lined up. Of course, people would also gladly rearrange their schedule if they happened to be basketball tickets, so iI dunno.
Thats why the new internet in the Dome was a great investment. People can now watch internet Pron whilst at the game. WIN WIN

As soon as folks from the 'Cuse start traveling to every away game, their claims that alums that live many hours away are to blame for lack of attendance is laughable. I bleed orange and blue (and grey, and white I guess) and live eight hours away. I might make one to two games a year. I can't make six or seven, just like townies can't travel to every away game. So trying to make this an alumni problem is ludicrous.

Could we have better alum showings? Sure. I would love to see true outreach on the part of the AD's office looking for alums within a three hour radius. Fact of the matter is, most alums move five hours or more away from the 'Cuse when they leave. Trying to blame lagging attendance figures on the alumni base is like me bagging on locals who don't travel to all games within a seven hour radius. It makes no sense.
You realize that people living 8 + hours away are NOT who we are referring to as the culprit right? I mean you have to know that. Also, the locals DO travel to plenty of away games and bowl games ( when we get to one ). The Pinstripe bowls were basically my high school reunion and a who's who of all the tailgating lots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom