B1G and SEC form joint advisory committee | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

B1G and SEC form joint advisory committee

I also think it's a huge mistake to do this, but that's irrelevant and not going to stop them. I think they believe the hardcore fans of the remaining teams will be enough. How many people outside those states would tune in to watch Wisconsin-Florida if "their school" which is not part of the amalgamation is playing at the same time? I know I won't, and I don't watch many B1G or SEC games while it's "free" now, let alone if I have to pay for them. If Bama wasn't playing in the same time slot, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn a significant number of Bama fans tuned in to watch a game like Wisconsin-Florida.
I agree but I think as sports betting grows people will watch. the super conference elite games will get all the betting (and viewing) action.

I agree but I think as sports betting grows people will watch. the super conference elite games will get all the betting (and viewing) action.
If they really wanted to clean up - it’s all about the money after all - they’d move the season to the spring. It’d approach NFL level then.

Shame on you.
Just being honest. I hate what is happening and I really hope SU has a seat when the music stops. But watching Oregon play Texas or Bama play Southern Cal would interest me far more than watching the Jets play the Browns (probably been living too long in the college football obsessed South). But who knows, with how quick things are morphing, they may still break me.

And what will they do with all the non-revenue sports?
No way the left out schools will play them without a large amount of money, nor should they.
They would be locked out of the basketball tounament, and all the other sponsored NCAA tournaments.
When that happens a lot of Alumni from those schools would start to have second thoughts.
They'll leave the non-revs in the NCAA. There's nothing to prevent them from doing that. They'll have their own tournament in basketball if they take basketball out of the NCAA (which I've been saying they will). The bulk of 5-star HS players will gravitate to them.

In all of this, there will be NCAA teams which will play the bluebloods for the big paycheck, just like we have "pay" games now.

Most definitely. The Northeast is about the only area that you can say right off won't have very much interest in watching the bluebloods. But other areas of the country will watch, including SoCal with USC and UCLA in the bunch.

Most definitely. The Northeast is about the only area that you can say right off won't have very much interest in watching the bluebloods. But other areas of the country will watch, including SoCal with USC and UCLA in the bunch.
When the P2 schools lose regularly to the P2 schools and cannot rack up enough wins from the body bag games to break even, viewership will wane. This is especially true if they wean off the bottom feeders and pull in a few more high level teams.

The problem still remains that the P2 do not support enough wins for all the big names. Also, if the P2 allows larger teams, the the FCS schools will be out and the remaining BCS schools will likely be limited to play once or twice annually.

Then you also have the Congressional egos to salve/buy off. Powerful states like NY, VA, NC will have no teams representing the state and states like WY, ID, MT, etc., will want something in exchange for their votes.

I'm not saying they cannot make it work, but it is much easier with more teams and avoiding the remaining issues. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Eh I really don’t see So Cal having that much interest if USC isn’t good. UCLA is already an afterthought here. There are so many things you can do with your time on a weekend here that I have a hard time seeing it.

I also think it's a huge mistake to do this, but that's irrelevant and not going to stop them. I think they believe the hardcore fans of the remaining teams will be enough. How many people outside those states would tune in to watch Wisconsin-Florida if "their school" which is not part of the amalgamation is playing at the same time? I know I won't, and I don't watch many B1G or SEC games while it's "free" now, let alone if I have to pay for them. If Bama wasn't playing in the same time slot, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn a significant number of Bama fans tuned in to watch a game like Wisconsin-Florida.
I think this strategy is leaning heavily on there being a large number of sports nut front runners to drive viewership. Because you’re right, most people at least that I know tend to gravitate to college teams that they grew up near, attended or lived near for a longer period of time.

hopefully this is the straw that gets the government involved.

There is no more P4.
The die has been cast, and this "alliance" seals the deal.
I'd look for a major announcement within the next 18 months or so- something pertaining to a shift or split from full NCAA enforcement rules.
Their basketball "tournament" will suck compared to the NCAA tournament.

I keep picturing the meeting between the two conferences, like the meeting of the five families in The Godfather. I am not a suspicious conference; but if something should happen…..

Congress needs to get involved. I don't know if they'll make things better, but there are some real antitrust issues here if these two conferences collude to shut everyone else out.
Congress would serve them. It serves every other big money whore.

I still maintain that limiting a national sport to 30 schools isn’t the genius move they think it is. If they break away and we aren’t involved I will stop watching the sport and I’m not alone.
They need to be strongly encouraged to leave the NCAA. That can be Dione by the rest of the leagues playing 1A (FBS) football agreeing to have an NCAA sponsored football playoff. The BT and ASEC will never agree to that because they intend to secure for themselves the vast majority of major CFB football. So they will reject that NCAAoplaytoff. Then we ban them from playing isn the NCAA dfior any sports - let them sponsor their own 2 league playoffs for all sports.

I have a little different perspective than some here as I have two degrees hanging on my wall (well, sitting on the floor waiting to be hung). One from SU and one from a B1G university in the state I grew up in and currently live.

As I have gotten older, the amount of time I spend watching sporting events has gone down significantly. Rather than watching college football or NFL games generally, I only make it a point to watch/listen to my alma maters and my local NFL team. If the B1G moves to professional model, I am not sure how much I will continue to watch or care as it will essentially be a minor league sport being played in a city in which I went to college. I enjoyed going to Syracuse Crunch games, but I do not follow the team or make a point to travel back to Syracuse to attend a game. I think the connection I have with a team affiliated with my alma mater will be the same. For people like me, the golden goose will have been killed.

Last edited:
Congress would serve them. It serves every other big money whore.
There are a lot of states completely left out, or on the verge of being left out. Including a few rich/important states. I wouldn't be so sure.

I have a little different perspective than some here as I have two degrees hanging on my wall (well, sitting on the floor waiting to be hung). One from SU and one from a B1G university in the state I grew up in and currently live.

As I have gotten older, the amount of time I spend watching sporting events has gone down significantly. Rather than watching college football or NFL games generally, I only make it a point to watch/listen to my alma maters and my local NFL team. If the B1G moves to professional model, I am not sure how much I will continue to watch or care as it will essentially be a minor league sport being played in a city in which I went to college. I enjoyed going to Syracuse Crunch games, but I do not follow the team or make a point to travel back to Syracuse to attend a game. I think the connection I have with a team affiliated with my alma mater will be the same. For people like me, the golden goose will have been killed.
Well said.

Well said.
That is going to happen to many. This move that these greedy fools assume with save their audiences will cost them some of it with no growth in new areas.

If the article is accurate, the ACC is included, which means that ESPN is not fully turning their back on the ACC. Time will tell...
Right, they should be included. The ACC is very low cost in comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom