Baylor to fire Art Briles / Hire Jim Grobe | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Baylor to fire Art Briles / Hire Jim Grobe

IMO, there is absolutely no way Syracuse, with its recent history with the NCAA, would allow HCDB to hire Briles.
I don't think SU would ever hire him for that reason but I honestly wouldn't be too upset if they did hire him as a quality control coach. He wouldn't have any authority and wouldn't be able to make the same mistakes he may or may not have made at Baylor, but it sure would be nice to have him working on offensive game plans.

And before people start calling me a monster for even suggesting it, our HOF basketball coach's program doesn't exactly have a spotless record when it comes to sexual assault and assault against women in the past 15 years or so.

dinosaurbbq said:
What exactly is it that anyone knows Art Briles did or had knowledge of? The posts on this board and several media articles intimate that he should never coach again and there is no way he could have or should have kept his job at Baylor. I get, and agree with, the fact that the head coach is ultimately responsible for what happens at his program and there are virtues in holding the head coach responsible to some degree. I also understand that if things that happened under his watch were bad enough, the coach must go. Discouraging or retaliating against complainants is bad stuff. I've got a daughter and am not an insensitive guy and don't have my head in the sand as if this isn't something significant. Before I say horrible things about Art Briles that I've seen in print, I'd have to have some indication that he engaged in it or knew of it being done. However, I have yet to see any source of information or article that says Art Briles did anything or knew of anything being done that was inappropriate. Anyone with a link?

He's in charge of the decisions made by those underneath him. Bringing in super high-risk kids and then attempting to circumvent the schools policies and procedures usually comes from the top.

Plus - there is no way he didn't know. Too many in a row to be ignored.

What exactly is it that anyone knows Art Briles did or had knowledge of?

The posts on this board and several media articles intimate that he should never coach again and there is no way he could have or should have kept his job at Baylor. I get, and agree with, the fact that the head coach is ultimately responsible for what happens at his program and there are virtues in holding the head coach responsible to some degree. I also understand that if things that happened under his watch were bad enough, the coach must go. Discouraging or retaliating against complainants is bad stuff. I've got a daughter and am not an insensitive guy and don't have my head in the sand as if this isn't something significant. Before I say horrible things about Art Briles that I've seen in print, I'd have to have some indication that he engaged in it or knew of it being done.

However, I have yet to see any source of information or article that says Art Briles did anything or knew of anything being done that was inappropriate. Anyone with a link?
c'mon man, the dude is a god in waco and they canned him, what else do you need?

Surprised no one mentioned that the President of Baylor was Ken Starr. The lawyer in charge of the Clinton Whitewater investigation. Irony...he goes after POTUS for illegal activity, including "sexual relations with that woman" and he gets fired as President for sex crimes being covered up at the University he is in charge of.

It was mentioned in another non-sports thread. The 2017 recruiting class has already disintegrated. I've got to think the AD is also on thin ice. Program is imploding even worse than Ped State's did. I doubt that there's a Bill O'Brien to the rescue here as Baylor 'football tradition' is only about 5 years old. This could be SMU death penalty territory.

It was mentioned in another non-sports thread. The 2017 recruiting class has already disintegrated. I've got to think the AD is also on thin ice. Program is imploding even worse than Ped State's did. I doubt that there's a Bill O'Brien to the rescue here as Baylor 'football tradition' is only about 5 years old. This could be SMU death penalty territory.
Someone also might want to take a peek at the men's and women's hoops programs.

Football was (is) a true cult at State College. It has merely been an enthusiasm in Waco, with about the same lasting power as the last enthusiasm that swept through town courtesy of David Koresh.

Football was (is) a true cult at State College. It has merely been an enthusiasm in Waco, with about the same lasting power as the last enthusiasm that swept through town courtesy of David Koresh.
Penn St went from O'Brien to Franklin, who shouldn't have gotten a job with the mess at Vanderbilt.

In other Waco news
11a1122.jpg

c'mon man, the dude is a god in waco and they canned him, what else do you need?

I was hoping for a legit response to the question. Is there proof that he was personally involved in anything that shouldn't have been done or actually knew of something that shouldn't have been done and failed to stop or report it? I get that he's the man in charge and they can fire him any time. However, I'm genuinely curious whether there is some actual info out there that he did something or actually knew. That's important to me, because people improperly slur a coach for shady behavior without proof that he did something or actually knew all the time. Its happened here at SU for God's sake.

IMO, there is absolutely no way Syracuse, with its recent history with the NCAA, would allow HCDB to hire Briles.

Not only that, there's no way Briles is going to start calling his former underlings right away for a job.

He'll most certainly take this year off, let the noise die down, then see what happens in 2017.

Briles and Franklin are both scumbags, obviously. Even with this baylor story, i still think Franklin is the bigger doushe. Briles player's at least loved and respected him. Franklin was and is hated by most psu players. Good, all involved in that program deserve misery.

I was hoping for a legit response to the question. Is there proof that he was personally involved in anything that shouldn't have been done or actually knew of something that shouldn't have been done and failed to stop or report it? I get that he's the man in charge and they can fire him any time. However, I'm genuinely curious whether there is some actual info out there that he did something or actually knew. That's important to me, because people improperly slur a coach for shady behavior without proof that he did something or actually knew all the time. Its happened here at SU for God's sake.
A lot of folks are saying Briles or one of his coaches reached out to victims on their own and "encouraged" them to not go to the police. If this is true, that alone is grounds for firing. Additionally Briles lied when he said he didn't know about Ukwachu's problems at Boise... Peterson said he told him Ukwachu was still a threat and not ready to resume playing.

There is enough smoke in the public domain that I'm sure the report has much more damning evidence... Otherwise Baylor would never have fired him.

I really don't know how much more you want......

“In certain instances, including reports of a sexual assault by multiple football players, athletics and football personnel affirmatively chose not to report sexual violence and dating violence to an appropriate administrator outside of athletics,”the findings of fact released by the university said. “In those instances, football coaches or staff met directly with a complainant and/or parent of a complainant and did not report the misconduct.”
Baylor fires coach Art Briles amid rape scandal
http://www.baylor.edu/rtsv/doc.php/266596.pdf

dinosaurbbq said:

Sheesh. Yeah the report they had in hand when they made the choice to fire him?

wait do you understand what has happened here at all? Baylor hired a neutral party to investigate these claims, a neutral party that has been criticized in the past for taking it too easy on the school. based on the results of this independent, neutral, third-party investigation, the powers-that-be at Baylor said "holy " and fired the coach. think about it dude. the details will come out soon enough but of course their is proof they wouldn't fire their Lord and Savior if this was anywhere near disputable. it's completely different than the fine case where SU hired a neutral party to investigate the case, where it was determined that the allegations were BS. and they were. this is totally different, Baylor is going to be paying out millions in settlements and we are just scratching the surface of the title 9 implications.

wait do you understand what has happened here at all? Baylor hired a neutral party to investigate these claims, a neutral party that has been criticized in the past for taking it too easy on the school. based on the results of this independent, neutral, third-party investigation, the powers-that-be at Baylor said "holy . . . . " and fired the coach. think about it dude. the details will come out soon enough but of course their is proof they wouldn't fire their Lord and Savior if this was anywhere near disputable. it's completely different than the fine case where SU hired a neutral party to investigate the case, where it was determined that the allegations were BS. and they were. this is totally different, Baylor is going to be paying out millions in settlements and we are just scratching the surface of the title 9 implications.

There are already reports that the coaches (Briles or not) spoke with victims without reporting their meetings with Administration and at least once tried to get the victim to recant.

who said Briles is more to blame than the Waco PD or District Attorney? Why the need to attempt to measure and compare blame? Baylor does not employ the Waco PD or District Attorney and Baylor lacks the ability to fire or reform those institutions. Baylor can fire the football coach.

I've only seen that Briles didn't suspend players. I haven't seen that he tried to cover anything up and he certainly isn't responsible for leading a criminal investigation. That's where this has failed, law enforcement not investigating these complaints.

Meanwhile over at Notre Dame Brian Kelly is directly responsible for a kids' death.

Reading forums with BU fans that believe more is coming down. Will be interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom