Benny is back | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Benny is back

Why does Benny need to start, but Brown does not?

Browns been the best player out of those two by far for two seasons.

The board craps themselves whenever Benny does something good. That was the best game of his career Saturday. Maybe bringing him off the bench is good for his motivation.
Because Benny in theory brings the complete package to the forward position.

Maliq is pretty close to that too, he's just getting his minutes right now at the 5.

Because Benny in theory brings the complete package to the forward position.

Maliq is pretty close to that too, he's just getting his minutes right now at the 5.
I’m only harping on this because I think there’s a bigger argument to be made for Brown to start over McLeod than Benny to replace Bell or Taylor especially if we are going to be playing so many perimeter bigs in the ACC.

Just subbing in Brown for McLeod changes our efficiency per 100 possessions by 20 points with the rest of the starters according to CBB Analytics.

We still have a positive plus/minus when the other two are on the court without McLeod.

I literally said nothing about Williams in my post.

You can put Brown and Q in or whomever. I just don't like seeing the current starters dig a hole. We need to see a positive start. Hopefully, we see Bell and/or Taylor knock some shots down early vs Duke
Hmm, I thought your post was in response to a call for Williams to replace Taylor. My apologies if it seemed a non sequitur.

I think the most likely change in lineup will be Williams starting over Taylor. McLeod and Bell seem locks to start, if not for entirely basketball reasons.

I feel like I’m in the minority here but Taylor does nothing for me I just don’t see it like others have and the thing he was heralded for the most, hasn’t existed at all. Any game against a team that’s even decent he hasn’t showed up at all.

If Benny plays the way he did against Pitt, then Benny is going to get about 30 minutes per game and Taylor will be down to 10 or so. We should all be rooting for that to happen because Benny brings more to the table than Taylor does.

But before that game, Benny stunk, and he got himself suspended twice. Taylor wasn't expected to start, but he came in and did a lot of things right. He's still only 2 rebounds behind Copeland for the team lead. He's still shooting 34% from 3 despite being in a slump, and he rarely turns the ball over.

Against Pitt he guarded their best player Hinson the entire time he played (even when Copeland was also in the game) and did a fantastic job. Hinson, fyi, is 6'8 230, a great athlete, and was averaging over 20ppg on almost 50% shooting from 3 before Taylor shut him down. I've yet to see anyone mention what a good job Taylor did defensively.

Hmm, I thought your post was in response to a call for Williams to replace Taylor. My apologies if it seemed a non sequitur.

I think the most likely change in lineup will be Williams starting over Taylor. McLeod and Bell seem locks to start, if not for entirely basketball reasons.
All good. I personally would like to see a Brown start over Taylor. Bell has shown he can get hot early.

I’m only harping on this because I think there’s a bigger argument to be made for Brown to start over McLeod than Benny to replace Bell or Taylor especially if we are going to be playing so many perimeter bigs in the ACC.

Just subbing in Brown for McLeod changes our efficiency per 100 possessions by 20 points with the rest of the starters according to CBB Analytics.

We still have a positive plus/minus when the other two are on the court without McLeod.
You're not wrong.

It's just not likely to happen.

Big difference is the original starting lineup included both McLeod and Benny.

There was a reason for that. Maliq was likely envisioned all along as the super sub that plays more minutes than a starter or two.

The discussion about who’s starting is getting overblown imo.
Chemistry, rotations and the guys playing at the end of the game are more important factors.
We’re seeing the benefit of having deep production off our bench, so why change something that’s not broken?

If we were consistently down early and getting out worked to start the game then yes there would be legitimate reason to look at switching the lineup. Bell and Taylor are shooters and if they can play well to start the game and get their confidence growing, then we suddenly have added dimensions to our offense with lanes opening up to Maximize production from Judah and JJ. We need to have Bell and Taylor playing with confidence and making shots to be a great team this year.

I think Red knows exactly what’s he’s doing. If they come out and are not very productive then Red knows he can rely on his bench to sub out, it’s not that deep.

Team first players are not worried if they start or come off the bench, as long as they have a chance to make an impact…it seems like peeps on here are more worried about who’s starting, then anyone actually on the team.

Meh.

If Naheem didn’t start, he prolly doesn’t get much run at all.

Brown can’t play all 40.

(Well, he could, but it’d be suboptimal.)

The Highlander played 9 mins.
Brown the other 31.
That’s about right.

And Naheem wasn’t useless -
he had FOUR blocks, a steal, and 2/2 FT’s.

I do agree with whomever said they maybe Red should play some 1-3-1 D while he’s in.
That best utilizes his skills as a rim protector, and means he doesn’t have to chase dudes around the perimeter or get stuck in bad switches.
I wonder if Naheem just gets too stiff to go back in until halftime warm ups?

No one said that you can't begin a 2nd career as a Sports Therapist. I know I could use some help on the golf course.

That said, I'm hoping Benny is talking to someone. I'm no professional, but it doesn't take a genius to see how someone's two ends of the spectrum are light years apart and that can't be considered normal. His lows are too low and his highs are great, but probably not sustainable. Would love your take on that.
Dr. Bob Cullen has some good books on golf psychology.

That is not probable. Red wants to use the bench and keep as many involved in the game as he can. Even if they start they are unlikely to get significantly more minutes. They will just different minutes.

Yep...Specifically I don't like if the set in stone starting lineup is causing you to fall behind with regularity. I willing to give it a couple more ACC games. But we need to see SOMETHING from this lineup at some point. Otherwise, you are digging a hole unnecessarily

I assume you aren’t talking about the Pitt game? When the subs came in we were down 1. When the starters came back it was tied.

I assume you aren’t talking about the Pitt game? When the subs came in we were down 1. When the starters came back it was tied.
Did my post suggest I was talking about 1 game?

Williams has higher upside than Brown. Brown is a very good player. But unless Brown develops a three point shot he can use in games, Williams gives us much more if he can reach his potential. I feel as if Brown is nearing his potential already. There is a reason he wasn't heralded nearly as much as Williams coming out of high school.

That said, I've come around to the Brown, Williams, Copeland, Starling, Mintz lineup is probably our best.

If Taylor, Bell and McLeod are starting, they better do something productive quickly, or the reserves who are proving to be more effective should be coming in sooner.

We need the starters to play enough minutes, if only so the best lineup doesn't suffer overuse as the season goes on.

One thing we haven't mentioned is the psychological effects of having McLeod in there for a few minutes to start the game... After he blocks a few shots, does that get into the head of players as their driving, even after he's on the bench?
Benny has moments of brilliance offset by a lot of less than stellar play. This is his third year in the program, and I just don't see where he develops into some kind of star at this level. Brown is by far the better--and more consistent and valuable and smarter--player. He's the kind of college player you kill to have but rarely find.

Did my post suggest I was talking about 1 game?

Yes. It suggested you were talking about or including Pitt.

“I willing to give it a couple more ACC games. But we need to see SOMETHING from this lineup at some point. Otherwise, you are digging a hole unnecessarily”.

Yes. It suggested you were talking about or including Pitt.

“I willing to give it a couple more ACC games. But we need to see SOMETHING from this lineup at some point. Otherwise, you are digging a hole unnecessarily”.
Yeah, you purposely left out my initial sentence that used the word “with regularity“ meaning I’m discussing the regularity of falling behind in games (plural) this year. have a great year.

Last edited:
Yeah, you purposely left out my initial sentence that used the word “with regularity“ meaning I’m discussing the regularity of falling behind in games (plural) this year. have a great year.

The paragraph I quoted says it all. Good night.

According to CBB Analytics we are -65 on the season when McLeod is on the court, -57 when Bell is on the court and +7 when Taylor is on the court which is good for the 4th best plus/minus on the team. Taylor's plus/minus is actually better than Benny or JJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom