Benny is back | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Benny is back

Williams had a terrible start to the year with his shooting. His hot steak in the last five games brought him up dramatically.

However, looking at the actual game play, you'll notice two things about Williams' improvement that indicate it might be a longer term improvement, and not a fluke.

First, his shot started looking better, he was setting his feet better, his form looked better, and the ball had a nicer arc and rotation coming out of his hands.

Secondly, he was taking better shots. When he gets his feet set on the catch and shoot, his percentage is much much better than when he's trying to take a step back or off the dribble three. Forget about the stupid fade away three! :(

Between his improved mechanics and shot selection, I think he might be closer to the guy at the end of the year than the one who was struggling with everything the first 25 games.

I know it was only one game, but this is the Benny Williams I was hoping for when I predicted a great first season for Red.
He has been far more confident with his jumper since early last year, which is great. Definitely some mechanical improvements. I’m with you — he is the key to our season so yesterday was thoroughly enjoyable. If he can play like that going forward, this team is far more interesting.

Okay, great.

My position is more of the mindset that if it ain't broke...
Agree. Plus Benny can prove himself this year to be the starter next year. Red isn't going to make Benny a starter with all the issues he has had. I suspect Benny stayed on the team knowing he isn't going to start the rest of this year, but with the continued opportunity to prove himself a good teammate.

Nice to hear, but… I’m not sure I buy it. Hard to trust a 180-degree turn from someone who was unrepentently pushing that childish behavior. He knows what he’s supposed to say at this point. But, whatever. I have always said a good Benny is the key to us being average or above average, and I think he needs to be in the starting lineup. It’s just up to him to deserve that role, in games and out of games. No more second chances.

I also think his three-pt percentage would increase along with regaining a starting role. As if he is on a ‘prove something, now’ mindset each time he gets in, and that’s pressure on each shot that might make him try harder, but is also pressure on each jumper which may not make him more effective from the outside.

Man, this kid may go on my SU redemption favorite players along with Scoop.
So many people who post here wanted this young man off the team for mistakes. Those posts were really upsetting. It’s as if they do not consider these young athletes as people, only chattle to be exchanged when they are not “perfect”. College, and sports as a subset of that experience, are about growth as a person.
The luckiest among us have a talent that brings us under the guidance of mentors who can help us navigate through ups and downs of life.
I can’t even fathom being a player in the social media world doesn’t meet the fans’ expectations.
Some player cut and run. Some players fold. Benny seems to have learned, grown, and embraced the opportunity. It speaks volumes about who he is and his upbringing.

Agree. Plus Benny can prove himself this year to be the starter next year. Red isn't going to make Benny a starter with all the issues he has had. I suspect Benny stayed on the team knowing he isn't going to start the rest of this year, but with the continued opportunity to prove himself a good teammate.
I respectfully disagree completely with this. Why would Red not make Benny a starter at some point? To further punish him? I don't really get that. The kid lost his starting job, got very few minutes for multiple games, and now seems to be accepting his mistakes and okay with working his way back. That was the whole point.

At some point, you allow people (kids in this case) the opportunity to redeem themselves while moving forward. I think Red has done a great job in handling Benny, based on what I know. Therefore, I trust in the process but at the same time, hope that he returns to the starting lineup soon. This also comes from someone who really likes JT.

Our best lineup now that has emerged is Judah - Starling - Copeland - Benny - Brown.

At the beginning of the season, Benny looked like a lost cause. Props to him.
That’s a very athletic lineup that creates a lot of trouble for opposing teams. It’s great to be able to put those type of athletes on the floor at the same time.

I sure wasn’t mature and did some dumb stuff in college. That is why I’ve always believed we should hang in there with Benny given his God-given talents. If Benny continues to come on, we will be a tourney team.
Yeah, me too for sure. At one time I even had the honor of having to go in front of the student misconduct committee (whatever that is called).

I think the BIG thing for me is that I'm willing to forgive and provide second and maybe even third chances to a person who has the willingness to accept responsibility and reflect on things that happened. However, there are many people/kids that don't do this for whatever reason - I'm not as willing to bend as much in these cases.

That’s a very athletic lineup that creates a lot of trouble for opposing teams. It’s great to be able to put those type of athletes on the floor at the same time.

AND -- I'll add that group is our best passing lineup. All five of those guys are good passers [wouldn't have thought that about Benny entering this year, but he's really showed expanded awareness with his passing -- case in point, his nice spinning reverse bounce pass feed to Maliq in the first half after Benny spun into a double team].

I respectfully disagree completely with this. Why would Red not make Benny a starter at some point? To further punish him? I don't really get that. The kid lost his starting job, got very few minutes for multiple games, and now seems to be accepting his mistakes and okay with working his way back. That was the whole point.

At some point, you allow people (kids in this case) the opportunity to redeem themselves while moving forward. I think Red has done a great job in handling Benny, based on what I know. Therefore, I trust in the process but at the same time, hope that he returns to the starting lineup soon. This also comes from someone who really likes JT.
I would add that Taylor probably would have a hard time looking at his play compared to Williams lately and saying "I deserve to be starting."

Taylor is a nice piece, and deserves minutes in the rotation, and might become a nice starter in the next few years. But Williams has a chance to be a star right now.

There I am getting ahead of myself again when it comes to Williams.

It's more important who finishes than who starts. Some guys do better watching the game for a bit before coming in anyway. If Benny has had to work on the mental aspect of the game and maybe life, coming in off the bench may allow him to relax and feel less pressure.

Last edited:
I hear people say it doesn't matter who starts but who finishes, but I doubt many players feel that way. I certainly wouldn't. I'd want to start.

I hear people say it doesn't matter who starts but who finishes, but I doubt many players feel that way. I certainly wouldn't. I'd want to start.
What players want and what matters the most aren't always the same thing.

If I started but coach had me on the pine in the closing minutes of a tight game, I'd feel worse than if I came of the bench but was in at the end.

Why change anything? If Taylor or Bell come out hot, you keep them in & juggle the lineup. If Benny is on, you play him more.
Red has shown a willingness to adjust based on feel- which is extremely impressive.
I agree. I’m fine with them, but that’s who the rest of the board seems to be focused on replacing. Maliq over McLeod is the move no one really speaks to where I think there’s a legit argument for a change to be made.

I didnt start at Nottingham my junior year but did my senior year. There is 100 pct a different feeling to your adrenaline and mindset when you start. There is something about them calling your name and going through the line and going into the huddle with everyone cheering you on. And that was high school. Can’t imagine being in the dome and getting that rush to begin the game

Wow.

If Benny can continue this trajectory, it's going to be a helluva turnaround. And there's no doubt to think that he won't continue -- right now, he's establishing himself as one of our best forwards.

A lot of talk has centered around Copeland's 4-game stretch -- and deservedly so -- but over that same stretch, Benny has put together some high quality games, as well.

Our best lineup now that has emerged is Judah - Starling - Copeland - Benny - Brown.

At the beginning of the season, Benny looked like a lost cause. Props to him.
I would give an eye tooth, no, my little finger, no!, a dollar, nah, well, I sure would give something to know Benny’s back story these last couple months. I hope someday we find out. As a former therapist, I can barely control my nosiness. Some days I hate being retired!

I would give an eye tooth, no, my little finger, no!, a dollar, nah, well, I sure would give something to know Benny’s back story these last couple months. I hope someday we find out. As a former therapist, I can barely control my nosiness. Some days I hate being retired!
I know and I’m not willing to share that on a public forum. He’s workin hard on things and we can leave it at that

But what about the kid you sit? That had no lapses? Is that punishing someone else?

I didnt start at Nottingham my junior year but did my senior year. There is 100 pct a different feeling to your adrenaline and mindset when you start. There is something about them calling your name and going through the line and going into the huddle with everyone cheering you on. And that was high school. Can’t imagine being in the dome and getting that rush to begin the game
Damn!! I always liked you Bro! Didn't realize you were a Nottingham Bulldoddddgg, can't even type it, dang!

I know and I’m not willing to share that on a public forum. He’s workin hard on things and we can leave it at that
When Benny dunked the ball, I don't know if I ever seen him as explosive, athletic and aggressive as that. Like he was getting the past out of his system or something. Loved it.

When Benny dunked the ball, I don't know if I ever seen him as explosive, athletic and aggressive as that. Like he was getting the past out of his system or something. Loved it.
He brings a whole new level of physicality and intimidation even when he’s playing like that. That pass from Judah to him was NBA quakity on both ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom