Benny is back | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Benny is back

If you ask a Red Sox fan he mentally checked out many plays. He did leave the field during a game by going into the Green Monster.

I guess I really don’t understand the Manny Ramirez references in this situation but ok.

Point taken.

I will say that I think you mentioned scuffling with teammates. I recall that there were a lot of rumors about fights between teammates on the 2003 NC team.

All that aside, let me clarify and say that I don't know what happened and also clarify that I made it a point to not call your post out. A lot of posters have been saying things and coming to conclusions. Sounds like your info perhaps gives you more a bit more basis to do it. Certainly more basis than I have, which is why I haven't commented.
Red comes from as tough or tougher background than most of the kids he will ever coach. He isn't going to put up with any BS, but he also probably understands these kids better than most. I'm sure he handled it well and hopefully Benny learns from it and starts to play up to his potential.

JB was different. He always said he was against suspensions because they hurt the team. You have to hold players accountable. He lost 101 wins because he didn’t hold players accountable for rules.
I think JB held players accountable but many were not publicly reported as suspensions. They were out “injured”, had a personal matter to attend to, just didn’t see the court etc.

JB was different. He always said he was against suspensions because they hurt the team. You have to hold players accountable. He lost 101 wins because he didn’t hold players accountable for rules.

Well, the Athletic Department didn’t enforce their written rule, across all sports, which is a little different than Boeheim not holding players accountable.

Scuffles happen often in practice, walking away from your team and leaving practice isn’t acceptable. He left the team last year too. One time, sure, two times and it becomes a trend. I hope he does well, Im glad he’s back, but he needs to figure a lot of things out it seems like.

Scuffles happen a lot more often on football teams than on basketball teams. On basketball teams, that's not a typical thing. You don't physically smash into each other over and over at hoops practice.

I guess I really don’t understand the Manny Ramirez references in this situation but ok.
They don‘t really apply. Different thing altogether. Manny was a kook, a lovable dumbass. This has been fun, remembering Man’tics, but it’s not the same thing.

Clicked on this thinking I'd see the zombie apocalypse version of Benny Mardones...

Let down again.
It Mighta Been Love

Seriously though the last few time I saw Benny it was the Zombie Apocalypse version. Still awesome tho

Scuffles happen a lot more often on football teams than on basketball teams. On basketball teams, that's not a typical thing. You don't physically smash into each other over and over at hoops practice.
Unless you played for the Bulls in the '90's.

In the midst of all this Benny discussion, I'm still trying to figure out who is attempting to kiss Benny's a$$.

ben.jpg

At least that's better than what Warrick got from Royal Ivey.

You have no clue as to what’s going on with this kid, and to make disparaging comments about him is the height of insensitivity and ignorance. You should be lifting him up and praying for him. That’s what Jesus would do. He and Judah both coming from PG County Maryland are good friends, and I am sure he’s giving him support and praying for him. His teammates are supportive of him too. He’ll be fine and will play a major role in their successful season. Who among us have not made bad decisions. It’s just that with him it’s under the scrutiny of the college basketball community.
Thank you. This dumping on any player really is wrong. Who the hell are we all on this board? The majority of the fans are supportive. This board has some really passionate fans, and sometimes the fandom blurs their filters.

You have no clue as to what’s going on with this kid, and to make disparaging comments about him is the height of insensitivity and ignorance. You should be lifting him up and praying for him. That’s what Jesus would do. He and Judah both coming from PG County Maryland are good friends, and I am sure he’s giving him support and praying for him. His teammates are supportive of him too. He’ll be fine and will play a major role in their successful season. Who among us have not made bad decisions. It’s just that with him it’s under the scrutiny of the college basketball community.
How exactly am I, who is just a fan and alum who now watches every game from my tv down here in Florida, going to lift him up? While I agree that many here have really piled on him over this suspension, this is a forum where diehards talk about everything and anything Cuse related. We talk. We exchange ideas. We argue. There are bad takes, like many even right in this thread, but that's what this forum is. In the meantime, I guess I'll do my part...

Pray I Hope GIF

How exactly am I, who is just a fan and alum who now watches every game from my tv down here in Florida, going to lift him up? While I agree that many here have really piled on him over this suspension, this is a forum where diehards talk about everything and anything Cuse related. We talk. We exchange ideas. We argue. There are bad takes, like many even right in this thread, but that's what this forum is. In the meantime, I guess I'll do my part...

Pray I Hope GIF
Yes. Prayer. This is the way.

I know the details.
I know the details also. But bottom line, is I don't need to know them as it is none of my business. Someone told me the details. I don't know what every student at SU is doing. Yes, some here are invested in the program by spending money to go to games, but a player and a student has a right to privacy, and there are laws regarding this. I also laugh when a poster wants to know the specifics about an injury. Try finding out about your own kid who went to the infirmary on campus. Guess what, you can't unless they tell you themselves. And that is how the privacy laws work. But I really try not to make any personal remarks about a college student. Seriously that is a form of bullying. And with that, I am out of this conversation, because it shouldn't even exist on here.

Scuffles happen often in practice, walking away from your team and leaving practice isn’t acceptable. He left the team last year too. One time, sure, two times and it becomes a trend. I hope he does well, Im glad he’s back, but he needs to figure a lot of things out it seems like.

Devil’s advocate: sometimes walking away, even a long ways away, is better than what one might do if they stayed.

Manny Ramirez was a total quack, playing for the Red Sox back in the single digits. His antics were pretty legendary. In fact, we had a term for it:

"Manny being Manny"

I guess this could be chalked up to:

"Benny being Benny"

Of course, the difference is that Manny Ramirez was one of the best hitters of his generation.
You never know, Benny may be a good hitter also?

I am for supporting Benny and getting this year into high year. We need the entire team to play well to have a good showing in Maui. Let's start the ball rolling with turning the tables on Colgate.

I think when Benny gets back on the court he’s gonna come out with a vengeance.

Sure hope so. I don't want to use Colgate as a measuring stick but want to see us be relentless to get this win after having to suffer through the past two years against them not to mention those losses really felt like they derailed the entire non conference even if it was one game each year.

How many times did Manny leave his team?
He used to take vacations every once in awhile by faking injuries and going on the IL (the DL back then).

Sure hope so. I don't want to use Colgate as a measuring stick but want to see us be relentless to get this win after having to suffer through the past two years against them not to mention those losses really felt like they derailed the entire non conference even if it was one game each year.
I think we have to use Colgate as a measuring stick. Yes, they are Patriot League, yada, yada, yada, but this team needs to keep taking steps forward. Beating Colgate would separate this team from the last two. This is important to the perception of the team in a lot of the average fan's eyes. Then we go to Maui. Need to be competitive there. A lot of fans won't be watching those games if they are off peak hours, so what they read is important.

I know the details also. But bottom line, is I don't need to know them as it is none of my business. Someone told me the details. I don't know what every student at SU is doing. Yes, some here are invested in the program by spending money to go to games, but a player and a student has a right to privacy, and there are laws regarding this. I also laugh when a poster wants to know the specifics about an injury. Try finding out about your own kid who went to the infirmary on campus. Guess what, you can't unless they tell you themselves. And that is how the privacy laws work. But I really try not to make any personal remarks about a college student. Seriously that is a form of bullying. And with that, I am out of this conversation, because it shouldn't even exist on here.
I agree with the sentiment of this. And a lot of the substance. But a ’fan’ wanting to know about a player’s injury is not the same as wanting to know about a student’s illness or disease. In pro sports, we have injury reports and disclosures at a certain level because they are related to the enterprise of competition, and players surrender a certain level of privacy. College athletes have a higher level of that sort of protection, but just as no one is entitled to know about a pro’s colitis but are given info about sprains, hamate fractures, and groin pulls, it’s not out of line for a college fan to want to know if an athlete had a meniscus procedure. If/when collegiate rules block such disclosures, that’s fine and I don’t see anyone knowingly breaking those rules. People just don’t know them. After 35 years, I don’t know them because sometimes we get the info and sometimes we don’t.

A lot of folks seem to believe that people who have public success (athletes, actors, musicians, etc.) are suddenly immune from all the trials, tribulations, self doubt, recriminations, relationship dynamics, that “normal” people go through.

What they seem to fail to understand is that public figures go through all the same things as “normal” people, but do it while their public audience is watching them, hoping for their failure, so they can negatively judge the fallen, and by doing so falsely validate their anonymous lives in comparison.

Also, I think due to these guys' physical development we often forget that they are still college aged kids.

I can personally say that I did all kinds of dumb things dumb things at that age, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has as well.

I would encourage everyone to operate with that in mind when commenting on these kind of situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom