Benny is back | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Benny is back

Great to have him back! He'll be good depth and might actually start.

This is not the first time we’ve had a good player do stupid things and it won’t be the last time unfortunately. MCW comes immediately to mind. And there are a litany of others.

College-age kids (not the least being myself!) do some really, really dumb things. And if they are good kids, they pay the consequences for them and try to learn from them and make amends. Glad Benny did whatever he had to do.

He’s walked away from the team twice, scuffled with teammates and pouts on the court more than he’s been effective. I don’t think there are a lot of “bad” people as there are good, but he isn’t exactly helping his cause. He’s been a disappointment since he’s gotten here and it’s not just because of his piss poor production.
You have no clue as to what’s going on with this kid, and to make disparaging comments about him is the height of insensitivity and ignorance. You should be lifting him up and praying for him. That’s what Jesus would do. He and Judah both coming from PG County Maryland are good friends, and I am sure he’s giving him support and praying for him. His teammates are supportive of him too. He’ll be fine and will play a major role in their successful season. Who among us have not made bad decisions. It’s just that with him it’s under the scrutiny of the college basketball community.

Listen, if my college years were broadcast, I’d be having to clarify a few things quite a bit.
Nodding Nod GIF by DJ Khaled

You have no clue as to what’s going on with this kid, and to make disparaging comments about him is the height of insensitivity and ignorance. You should be lifting him up and praying for him. That’s what Jesus would do. He and Judah both coming from PG County Maryland are good friends, and I am sure he’s giving him support and praying for him. His teammates are supportive of him too. He’ll be fine and will play a major role in their successful season. Who among us have not made bad decisions. It’s just that with him it’s under the scrutiny of the college basketball community.
Perfectly said

Well put.

Last edited:
Whatever has been going on with Benny, I hope he is ok and I hope that whatever happened doesn’t happen again and that things are smoother going forward for him. On the court, if we can get the Benny we saw at times last year, that would help immensely

Disparaging? What’s not true?

Exactly.

Not calling out any posters, because who among us has not come to conclusions about what happened with an off-court incident...the details of which we do not know...and then posted those conclusions. I am sure I have in my 30 years on SU boards, but I sure try not to.

Whatever happened, it is player matter, a team matter and a Coach Red matter. I'll leave it to them to figure out. It seems they have, and so is time to move on. I have always liked Benny and am hoping for the best for him.

Exactly.

Not calling out any posters, because who among us has not come to conclusions about what happened with an off-court incident...the details of which we do not know...and then posted those conclusions. I am sure I have in my 30 years on SU boards, but I sure try not to.

Whatever happened, it is player matter, a team matter and a Coach Red matter. I'll leave it to them to figure out. It seems they have, and so is time to move on. I have always liked Benny and am hoping for the best for him.
I know the details.

Manny Ramirez was a total quack, playing for the Red Sox back in the single digits. His antics were pretty legendary. In fact, we had a term for it:

"Manny being Manny"

I guess this could be chalked up to:

"Benny being Benny"

Of course, the difference is that Manny Ramirez was one of the best hitters of his generation.

Manny Ramirez was a total quack, playing for the Red Sox back in the single digits. His antics were pretty legendary. In fact, we had a term for it:

"Manny being Manny"

I guess this could be chalked up to:

"Benny being Benny"

Of course, the difference is that Manny Ramirez was one of the best hitters of his generation.
How many times did Manny leave his team?

I know the details.
Point taken.

I will say that I think you mentioned scuffling with teammates. I recall that there were a lot of rumors about fights between teammates on the 2003 NC team.

All that aside, let me clarify and say that I don't know what happened and also clarify that I made it a point to not call your post out. A lot of posters have been saying things and coming to conclusions. Sounds like your info perhaps gives you more a bit more basis to do it. Certainly more basis than I have, which is why I haven't commented.

Point taken.

I will say that I think you mentioned scuffling with teammates. I recall that there were a lot of rumors about fights between teammates on the 2003 NC team.

All that aside, let me clarify and say that I don't know what happened and also clarify that I made it a point to not call your post out. A lot of posters have been saying things and coming to conclusions. Sounds like your info perhaps gives you more a bit more basis to do it. Certainly more basis than I have, which is why I haven't commented.
Scuffles happen often in practice, walking away from your team and leaving practice isn’t acceptable. He left the team last year too. One time, sure, two times and it becomes a trend. I hope he does well, Im glad he’s back, but he needs to figure a lot of things out it seems like.

How many times did Manny leave his team?
Unknown.

My point is Benny Williams is not one of the best players in his generation. I guess I got a little folksy with my delivery.

Sadly this is the case, though, I was told his teammates love him. He’s just….Benny. He made a big improvement at the end of last year and just needs to keep his head on straight and work harder. He will never live up to the expectations.
So do his teammates love him or has he scuffled with his teammates?

Scuffles happen often in practice, walking away from your team and leaving practice isn’t acceptable. He left the team last year too. One time, sure, two times and it becomes a trend. I hope he does well, Im glad he’s back, but he needs to figure a lot of things out it seems like.
Yes, he's the only upperclassman on this team who will play significant minutes, so it's time for him to figure out this off court stuff and produce with some consistency on the court. If he can provide some leadership, that would be nice as well, but it's not required.

So do his teammates love him or has he scuffled with his teammates?
I’ve never heard about scuffles with teammates. If that’s the case, I imagine it’s this year vs last year or they just didn’t rise to the level of real issues. Of course as someone else pointed out, JB largely let these things slide so what he thought was an issue vs others is different. So that impacts things a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom