Best SU coaching staff? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Best SU coaching staff?

The two Jonny Flynn squads treated defense like an STD. Prior to the 09-10 season, Murphy challenged the team to embrace defensive play as an identity - he created the Shut It Down rap and video and the team organized itself around the zone not simply as a defense but as a weapon. We haven't looked back since.

Great post. There's definitely a connection to Murphy and the current culture. I think it's more than defense, too. We have had some great kids in the system during the last five years and it makes for a great team.

In the 80's and 90's, we sometimes had parts that were greater than the sum. The last five years, esp. this year, the sum is waaaay better than the parts. I'm not knocking our talent but when I was watching UNC, I kept thinking they had more talented guys but they were somehow not being coached into better basketball players, or a better team. Kansas is another example right now.

When we played EMU and Murphy was keeping it tight, I wondered if he were to get them to the tourney, spring an upset, and do so next year, or just have continued success, would he be a candidate to replace JB IF JB decided to stay another 3-5 years and Hop bolts? Just a thought I had.

Great post. There's definitely a connection to Murphy and the current culture. I think it's more than defense, too. We have had some great kids in the system during the last five years and it makes for a great team.

In the 80's and 90's, we sometimes had parts that were greater than the sum. The last five years, esp. this year, the sum is waaaay better than the parts. I'm not knocking our talent but when I was watching UNC, I kept thinking they had more talented guys but they were somehow not being coached into better basketball players, or a better team. Kansas is another example right now.

When we played EMU and Murphy was keeping it tight, I wondered if he were to get them to the tourney, spring an upset, and do so next year, or just have continued success, would he be a candidate to replace JB IF JB decided to stay another 3-5 years and Hop bolts? Just a thought I had.
i forgot Murph was behind Shut it Down. whos idea was Unfinished Business?

imo we have more nba draftable guys than unc, if you dont count Hairston. cant say that about us vs KU tho.

The two Jonny Flynn squads treated defense like an STD. Prior to the 09-10 season, Murphy challenged the team to embrace defensive play as an identity - he created the Shut It Down rap and video and the team organized itself around the zone not simply as a defense but as a weapon. We haven't looked back since.

I observed that awful Flynn-era culture, too, but Murphy was there during that period (and before). Not sure about the causation.

My understanding is that change in effort and mindset came from the top down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom