Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

True. But we shouldn't kid ourselves about getting a big name coach unless we open our purse strings.
This is true. I think many of us will be a tad disappointed in the level of coach that will come here. Not saying we're going to have to settle for the OCC coach but if you think we can snap our fingers and get a big name you will be disappointed (I think).

imo this is a no brainier for Hopkins and it's simple. The 'make his own legacy' comment cemented my belief. If he takes over Syracuse and fails he's done as a head coach. And how many years would he be given to fail? 3 or 4?

With 6 years at UW there's a lot less pressure and a lot more time to make his mark.
I think he would have gotten 2 years here before people would start calling for his job.

UW let Romar be average for a very, very long time despite his great recruiting classes. There is a lot less pressure there.

A 5 year extension does nothing. JB has already spoken out about possibly retiring soon. The uncertainty will still be there and will be used against us by opposing coaches/recruiters.

Hop hasn't been out recruiting as much and this is most likely why. JB wants one thing, he wanted another.

A 5 year extension is certainly better than "will he or won't he."

Hop hasn't been all in, to our detriment.

The reason why this doesn't bother me that much is because if I was a Washington fan I'd be really mad about this hire. Screams small time taking the head coach in waiting Syracuse decided wasn't good enough and who went 4-5 against a fairly easy schedule for a team that went to the Final Four.

Let's all be realistic here. Look at Duke. No way in hell that they would have taken one of the unproven assistants to take over for K. K pushed his disciples out into the world to get experience. One of those guys will come back and take over and be ready. This gives Hop what he wants and needs and allows Syracuse a sense of stability and a chance to properly plan for the future. Hop could still be the guy in 5 years...and be game ready.

That announcement of JB's retirement date was done to placate the NCAA. But now that we saw they didn't much care about that (didn't give wins back, etc), JB said F it and decided he wasn't going to get pushed out. Perhaps recruiting was hurt by two things: Hop not on the road and players knowing JB was done. Now they will know JB is not done. And he clearly still has the passion to coach.

Good for Hop. Good for SU. I don't think Wildhack would allow this program to run itself into the ground. This had to have been in the plans for awhile. At least a few months.

This is not good. Hop was the beating heart of this program. Was voted most feared recruiter by his peers not too long ago. Lots of behind the scene stuff that you just can't get from any assistant. This is sad. Syracuse and Boeheim better come up with something quick. I don't care what Hopkins did in 9 games last year. The guy can coach and the fact that he wanted to make his own legacy somewhere else is heartbreaking. Terrible timing.

Please give me Andy Enfield. He's and East Coast dude and he can bring Bland and Hart back with him. It just makes too much sense to happen.
No thanks. And double the no thanks on Bland and Hart. Perfect ass'ts for the West Coast. They don't know the players here. plus, I don't see Amanda wanting to leave L.A, for syracuse.

I still think Boeheim is done after next season. Widhack will pull the plug on him and a search will be underway sooner than later. Wildhack is a TV guy as well. I'm sure he loves seeing those Boeheim rants all over the place.

If he's successful in Washington, why would he leave the West Coast?
If he's a failure, why would Syracuse hire him?
Money? Desire to coach at alma mater like you see a lot of successful coaches doing later in career.?

At this point in his life, he's been an east coaster longer than he's been a west coaster. I'm not saying it will happen, just suggesting that there is a path.

Hope you are right, but you have no idea about what goes on in someone else's mind. Transfers happen. Seems like Hop and JB are good cop / bad cop. What if UW has a few studs lined up and one or more of our youngins could be the missing piece for a NC run while the alternative is an undermanned Cuse team without a PG? You can whistle past the graveyard. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Lydon may enter the NBA Draft.

Battle is a year away from entering the NBA.

How does wasting an entire season sitting on the bench in Seattle help either of them?

THEY ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO PLAY NEXT SEASON IF THEY TRANSFER.

This is true. I think many of us will be a tad disappointed in the level of coach that will come here. Not saying we're going to have to settle for the OCC coach but if you think we can snap our fingers and get a big name you will be disappointed (I think).
If your post is true than Syracuse has ZERO place in a p5 conference.

If we can't pony up for a HC to lead our "Borderline Elite Level Program" then fold up shop.

I have to believe you're wrong.

What about Syverud has made you think that he doesn't take athletics and basketball seriously?

I don't doubt his commitment. It's just not our history to pay coaches top dollar. JB isn't even making top dollar. But maybe that changes.

A 5 year extension is certainly better than "will he or won't he."

Hop hasn't been all in, to our detriment.

The reason why this doesn't bother me that much is because if I was a Washington fan I'd be really mad about this hire. Screams small time taking the head coach in waiting Syracuse decided wasn't good enough and who went 4-5 against a fairly easy schedule for a team that went to the Final Four.

A 5 yer extension would be for show. Does anybody really expect JB to stick around until he's almost 80??

JB hasn't been all in either. He doesn't recruit anymore. We've been sending AA and Gerry out for recruits. That just doesn't cut it.

If your post is true than Syracuse has ZERO place in a p5 conference.

If we can't pony up for a HC to lead our Borderline Elite Level Program then fold up shop.

I have to believe you're wrong.
He is thinking that because we haven't paid a lot we won't. We are in a different place now. A lot of $$ with a A.D. that knows the inning and the score. We will get a top knotch coach.

Congrats to Hop for he waited and was loyal for a longtime at the Cuse. Now let's see what Syverud does now. I say quietly start the search and see what big name winners/recruiters would want to coach the Orange. How about Mojo at Marquette or Chris Collins from NW? Bet they want back in th ACC!

Finding a top-end recruiter to replace Hop fixes this in the short-term and buys JB another 3-5 years. This is the bridge that keeps JB running this program until he does leave and a national coaching search commences.

This program deserves a national coaching search. By that point Wildhack will have more experience as well and will have a better handle on the national coaching landscape.

But will an elite recruiter come here if he knows it's only for a few years.

The dogs will be barking next year if we miss the tourney again -- and it won't be pretty.

A 73 year old Boeheim ain't grinding.

So...Someone tell me about Allen Griffin

We couldn't get a Chris Mack? We can't offer more than Xavier?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom