Billy Owens | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Billy Owens

He was my favorite player, Melo replaced him. I was so excited when he came to SU. When I think of him I never think of Richmond, he was more than anyone game, even if the game was the first #2 going down to a #15. thats a team issue not just his.

He should have stayed for his senior year.

If no other reason, because it that year would have been my freshman year.

Plus, who wants to end their college career with a loss like that.

He should have stayed for his senior year.

If no other reason, because it that year would have been my freshman year.

Plus, who wants to end their college career with a loss like that.
He was the 3rd pick in the draft. He made the right decision. If he came back for his senior season he most likely wouldn't have gone that high in the 1992 draft.

Plus, even with Billy coming back I don't really see them being a final four contender in '92. That team still couldn't shoot, which was our biggest problem of that era.

He was the 3rd pick in the draft. He made the right decision. If he came back for his senior season he most likely wouldn't have gone that high in the 1992 draft.

Plus, even with Billy coming back I don't really see them being a final four contender in '92. That team still couldn't shoot, which was our biggest problem of that era.

Yeah, but he didn't get to go to school with me, so his loss.

Thanks for all the replies, there was a lot of interesting feedback. There was something found interesting; there were a lot of comments about Billy’s NBA career, leaving early and the Richmond loss. If you think about it, the most beloved and revered player in ‘Cuse history left after his Jr. year, which ended in an embarrassing NCAAT loss (at home to a team we had easily beaten earlier in the season). This player’s NBA career was short and uneventful. I’m of course talking about Pearl .

When I think about Billy I struggle to come up with a specific memorable moment (hitting 2 Ft at the end of regulation as a Frosh?) or visual. When I think about my other favorites I can remember moments or have images. These include Pearl crossing over GTown victims, Sherm alley-ooping to Stevie, DC grabbing every rebound in sight, Wallace carrying us on his back in 96 and hitting shot after shot against Georgia, Hak’s block, Gerry being super clutch (especially in the BET) and so on.

When I think of Billy I remember that he was REALLY good but I don’t have a specific memory or visual. I think it goes back to what others said, he deferred and didn’t seem to have that chip on his shoulder. He did everything so well but he wasn’t the best at any one thing.

He’s still one of my favorites and would be ecstatic if we ever get another player as good as him. The only guys I might say were better all-around are Melo or DC.

VS

In response to “Richmond”, you fairly point out how Pearl’s career ended. I’ll add on: Warrick had 10 turnovers in a loss to Vermont. GMac was injured and ineffective in a loss to Texas A and M. Coleman got a big technical in a loss to Minnesota. Carmelo is our only superstar who won his last game.

IMO, Billy is a first tier SU player along with Melo, Bing, Coleman, Pearl, and Douglas.

In response to “Richmond”, you fairly point out how Pearl’s career ended. I’ll add on: Warrick had 10 turnovers in a loss to Vermont. GMac was injured and ineffective in a loss to Texas A and M. Coleman got a big technical in a loss to Minnesota. Carmelo is our only superstar who won his last game.

IMO, Billy is a first tier SU player along with Melo, Bing, Coleman, Pearl, and Douglas.
Agreed ^^^^. Some of the amateur takes on this thread are simply ridiculous. Billy Owens is the most talented player in the history of the program. He thrived in 3 seasons in the Dome, culminating in First-Team AA status his final season. He was the third overall pick for a reason. Because he dominated the college game. The pro ranks did not go as swimmingly, but that had more to do with injuries than anything else.

So many here are either born 15 years too late or have faulty memories. Cannot shoot, didn't smile, no killer instinct, teams underachieved, lost his last game, deferred to others, no highlight moment.

Good reminder that this is not a forum of talent evaluators.

Agreed ^^^^. Some of the amateur takes on this thread are simply ridiculous. Billy Owens is the most talented player in the history of the program. He thrived in 3 seasons in the Dome, culminating in First-Team AA status his final season. He was the third overall pick for a reason. Because he dominated the college game. The pro ranks did not go as swimmingly, but that had more to do with injuries than anything else.

So many here are either born 15 years too late or have faulty memories. Cannot shoot, didn't smile, no killer instinct, teams underachieved, lost his last game, deferred to others, no highlight moment.

Good reminder that this is not a forum of talent evaluators.
Agreed, Billy's talent level was second to none and he should be remembered as such. I have no doubt that if he wanted to, or had the mindset, he would have dominated as a Freshman/Soph. The resson he deferred to others those first 2 years is because the upperclassmen he was deferring to included folks like Sherman, Stevie and DC.

Agreed, Billy's talent level was second to none and he should be remembered as such. I have no doubt that if he wanted to, or had the mindset, he would have dominated as a Freshman/Soph. The resson he deferred to others those first 2 years is because the upperclassmen he was deferring to included folks like Sherman, Stevie and DC.
So so so true. Was my next point, but did not want my post to get too long.

Not being named on the Build a Player video... I mean, where would you have put him? In which category was he the 'best' or 'most prominent name?' That list wasn't about who was the best player. Many were, but a "Glue Guy" like Josh Pace—that wasn't an indication that Pace was better than Owens.

Reading these responses reminds me of how much of a dissonance there is, with Billy's actual accomplishments/stats, versus my impression of him. I was there when he played for us, but i just don't have memories of him being as great as the numbers indicate. He was really good in just about every way, but maybe i expected more? Great guy. Great player. I think i saw in him something that 'afflicted' me—the shooting confidence thing mentioned upthread. And that 'great guy' thing—he may have been too nice. Too nice, and without enough ego. Those two things will compromise your basketball game severely, even if you have the skills, athleticism, talent, and understanding.

His legacy and game are unappreciated because he wasn't a snazzy, highlight reel player. He could just ball. Better than 95% of the guys who have ever played here.

I think Billy Actually had some swagger that people didnt see. I believe he was asked in High school what is the greatest game you ever had, right before his last game, He said something to the affect the game im about to play, and he then when out and scored about 56 points or something like that.

He was so good that he made getting 20 points and 10 rebounds a game look like pedestrian ho hum day. He was the big East Player of the year in the 90-91 season. He was a truly Amazing player .

a sidenote is that the 1990-1991 team may well be the most inluential roster of players in the schools last 30 years except the championship team.

Adrian Autry and Mike Hopkins were also on that team two guys that shaped the future and present day Orange Teams

His numbers were terrible. He may not have an NBA career in the analytics era despite his height, build and athleticism.

In this era he would have been a great PF. He would have been just a nightmare for opposing PFs to guard. His curse was having the skills he had at the time he had them. Everyone saw some Magic like skills and envisioned him playing down. Same with Wallace. He also would have been a tremendous PF in todays game. Timing is everything.

Billy was top five all time at SU, but Pearl probably had the greatest impact on the program.
1. Bing
2. Coleman
3. Melo
4. Douglas
5. Owens
6. Pearl

He was a great, great talent but the results on the court matter, and the way his team went out that postseason without winning a game hurts his legacy, harsh as it may be. (Mike Edwards was a starter on that 91 team and incredibly frustrating, he should have been in a lesser role like he was the following season).

Cant argue with him leaving when he did, but in the one year that it was his team, we got an ending that was embarrassing. If he had come back as a senior that team would have been excellent, with him, Johnson and Moten as the core, which was better than the 91 mix of players. They were a 6 seed without him, adding a potential national POY to the mix would have been significant.

Since the Richmond and Villanova losses have been brought up here, deservedly so, I go back to the NCAA investigation going on that year, starting over the holiday break. They lost on the court, and it is not an excuse, but that took a big toll on the coaches and players that whole time. JB even mentioned it in his book and how it exhausted everyone. I think in his book I forget his exact words but it was kind of like "we didn't know the toll it took until afterwards".

Players were doing interviews before and after practices, the media was all over it, and things like half the team not allowed on the plane to go to Notre Dame, only to be reinstated hours later and fly out at midnight (and this was before the team took charters). To me there was kind of a "less was more" thing with the media back then -- you didn't have phones, the internet and a million distractions, so the stories that came out every day seemed to resonate more. Unlike the latest investigation, that was announced in 2012 without much context, then sanctions in 2015, in 91 was big news every day during that season.
Again, not an excuse for the losses, as they got beat when they shouldn't have, but this played a role IMO.

He was a great, great talent but the results on the court matter, and the way his team went out that postseason without winning a game hurts his legacy, harsh as it may be. (Mike Edwards was a starter on that 91 team and incredibly frustrating, he should have been in a lesser role like he was the following season).
That’s something fans say and this is a fan forum, so I should not be surprised. Those who get the nuance of sport, athletes and talent don’t get caught up in such detail and understand that the results of one game are not true indicators.

Coleman’s last game was a loss to a wholly inferior Minnesota team, ... Pearl, Hakim and Gerry (injury) too. That’s not changing the career narrative on any of our greats, all of whom lost their last game, ... well outside of Carmelo.

That’s something fans say and this is a fan forum, so I should not be surprised. Those who get the nuance of sport, athletes and talent don’t get caught up in such detail and understand that the results of one game are not true indicators.

Coleman’s last game was a loss to a wholly inferior Minnesota team, ... Pearl, Hakim and Gerry (injury) too. That’s not changing the career narrative on any of our greats, all of whom lost their last game, ... well outside of Carmelo.
That's real insightful. Titles, wins, losses, the post-season, they don't really mean anything. Thanks for enlightening us on what really matters. It was a proud day for the program to be the first 2 seed to lose to a 15.

Derrick Coleman grabbed 19 rebounds in a classic national title game. Was the best player on an Elite 8 team two years later. That last game he lost was in a Sweet 16 at least. Warrick was the #2 guy on a national champion and also won a Big East title as a senior. McNamara was not close to the talent that Owens was but he also was huge in a national title game and won two Big East titles, including a legendary run on a bad team.

Owens was a great talent, had a great individual season his junior year and was part of some very good teams. 91 was also possibly the most disappointing season of the Boeheim era when it was all said and done, with maybe the exception of 2014 (even that team won a game in the NCAA tournament).

That was literally one of the all-time best plays in Syracuse history!

The swarming D to force the turnover, then the ball ping-pongs on a fast break to finish with an ooop AND1! :cool:

If I remember correctly from watching that game on YouTube not too long ago, I believe that play was on the tail end of a huge comeback so the Dome was insane - and something flew out on the court prompting Jimmy to take the mic and tell people to knock it off.

If I remember correctly from watching that game on YouTube not too long ago, I believe that play was on the tail end of a huge comeback so the Dome was insane - and something flew out on the court prompting Jimmy to take the mic and tell people to knock it off.
100% right.

That play was one of the three loudest moments I've ever experienced in the dome. Absolute bedlam.

That's real insightful. Titles, wins, losses, the post-season, they don't really mean anything. Thanks for enlightening us on what really matters. It was a proud day for the program to be the first 2 seed to lose to a 15.

Derrick Coleman grabbed 19 rebounds in a classic national title game. Was the best player on an Elite 8 team two years later. That last game he lost was in a Sweet 16 at least. Warrick was the #2 guy on a national champion and also won a Big East title as a senior. McNamara was not close to the talent that Owens was but he also was huge in a national title game and won two Big East titles, including a legendary run on a bad team.

Owens was a great talent, had a great individual season his junior year and was part of some very good teams. 91 was also possibly the most disappointing season of the Boeheim era when it was all said and done, with maybe the exception of 2014 (even that team won a game in the NCAA tournament).
Wasn't Edwards the PG of that team. If so nuff said.

100% right.

That play was one of the three loudest moments I've ever experienced in the dome. Absolute bedlam.

I was a little kid and I vaguely remember flying high on adrenaline and sprinting around the house throwing down dunks on my nerf hoop after that game.

Wasn't Edwards the PG of that team. If so nuff said.
Co-point guard anyway, and I in fact mentioned him being very frustrating earlier in the thread. Yet the team was good enough to be a 2 seed and won th regular season conference title. Shoulda been able to win at least one post-season game.

I found Billy to be somewhat frustrating. As fabulous as he was, I thought he made more than his share of unfortunate plays. There were times when you could see a double-team coming and rather than give it up, he'd dribble into the double-team and lose the ball. It got so you could predict it. Also, he dribbled high and didn't always bring it down when closely guarded.

I guess what was frustrating was that he could do wondrous things but he made the kind of mistakes that as bad as I was, I didn't make when playing pick-up.

Sorry if that's an amateurish take. Even so, though he was one of the all-time best, he often left me frustrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom