Blood from a stone | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Blood from a stone

Really, really wish that he'd redshirted. I agree that weight isn't the main factor, but he is so young for his grade and so slender, there is no doubt that the additional physical maturity wouldn't be a bad thing.

My fear is that he'll decide to bail after this year, and then we'll see him play at one of the Big 5 schools like St. Joe's or Drexel, where he'll post a stat line like 15 ppg / 7 rpg / 4 apg, while shooting 37% from three. I could totally see that happen.

BTW, was in Twin Cities from Dec 30-Jan 2. Had a show at XCel. NICE place. Been to the new Surly spot? Fantastic beer and new space. Had Surly for the first time this past summer. Also had a great meal at Travail.

Ennis likely is especially had we not lost Chris. Look at our losses, everyone other than Cal where winnable games coming down the stretch that we botched plus we are much less likely to have long draughts with Ennis as the lead guard. Cal game is also different with a leader at PG because that's where they killed us in the backcourt. College bball is so bunched up that one player can make that much of a difference.

But Ennis couldn't feed the post, so where would that leave us......;)

This is probably going to ring somewhat hollow for some, but I'm proud of this team and proud of the coaching staff this year. We've suffered massive attrition losses for several years in a row, losing tons of scoring and multiple key players every season and have somehow managed to reload, but this year it finally caught up with us. If we had either Ennis [preferably] or Grant back, it would be a different story.

I think back to how inept offensively we were at the beginning of the year, and not like this team is going to conjure images of the 09-10 squad, but they've come a LONG way. Kudos to the coaching staff for introducing a wrinkle that had the initiation of our offensive sets flow thorugh our small forward.

I'm very encouraged by the development / emergence of both Cooney and Gbinije. Those guys are poised for big senior years.

Roberson and Joseph are getting an infusion of heavy minutes this year that will help accelerate each player's developmental curve.

And most of all, I'm shocked, surprised, and awed by the staggering improvement that Rakim Christmas has shown. This kid deserves a standing ovation for playing himself into potential first round draft contention.

Ultimately, there just isn't enough gas, scoring pop, or depth in the tank for this team to go far. We are a lot closer than people realize--but came an eyelash short. Losses like Clemson / Miami / Villanova are games that a team with a razor thin margin for NCAA contention couldn't afford to drop. And while I don't want to give up and proclaim that the season is over--after all, if we go on to beat UNC / Duke / Louisville, unlikely as that would be, we'd be back on track--but it basically is.

From the beginning, this has felt like a wasted year. Too much stuff to overcome, too many issues to overcome, too many injuries depleting the team, etc. I commend our coaching staff and players for coming close to maximizing this group's potential this year, even though the results aren't what we're accustomed to. Not happy about the final results [which admittedly are still being written], but I'm pleased with the effort. I know that someone is going to read this post and get on my case about "accepting mediocrity," but I think such a reaction misses the point--you can't get blood from a stone, and this team is maxing out their capabilities.

Bring on the sanctions. The sooner the better, as I'd hate for the NCAA to balk at the prospect of us applying any prospective ban this year.

Excellent Post and agree with so much of it. Really like the growth as you mentioned. Also like that if Rak continues on this warpath he will succeed at the next level too and give us a big in the pros you can point to for future recruits. It is painful just how close we have gotten to getting over the hump with a big win or 3. The potential is incredible though for next year. Gotta hope we can can some interior production given how huge it has been for us this year. The experience coupled with talented youth should really bear fruit in the form of success and a return to the norm of the recent run of great seasons.

Wow, you think one of those guys is the difference between being in the NIT (in all likelihood) and a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney? ATL, I feel like you usually aren't one for hyperbole.

If I may, Ennis is the difference between use being in the NIT and a protected seed. With both we are a top 5 team and a number one seed, no doubt...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom