Bob Chesney | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

After several years of being regularly destroyed in blowout losses on National TV - by multiple opponents on multiple occasions - including this year's batch of big losses: 38-10, 40-7, 41-3, all in-conference. Combine all the embarrassing losses with the recent history of losing - including a subpar 27-62 conference record since joining the ACC, I think it's fair to say that SU's proud, historic football brand and its reputation as a respected Eastern football power, have been damaged.

But you were right, you caught me red handed - I totally didn't know what the word 'rebuild' means. So I looked it up. Here's what I learned:

re·build
/rēˈbild/
verb
  1. build (something) again after it has been damaged or destroyed.
    "we try to help them rebuild their lives (or football program)"

You’re combing two different ideas into your argument. There’s the rebuild of an entire program and the rebuild of the current football team. The next coach, whomever it is, doesn’t have a rebuild project with the current roster. No coach is single-handedly going to rebuild the football brand when he steps on campus. Which is what I was under the impression you were trying to argue.

My 2 cents (probs worth less than 2 pesos).

This all comes from being a SU fan for 30+ years now. The glory days are well in the rear view. Trying to grab an old retread that did well at high level schools will probably end poorly.

If I was hiring someone to a C level position for my business, these are the requirements I’d want:

Hard worker
Good work ethic
Some success in this industry/role (could be at a smaller co)
Problem solver
Outside the box thinker / creativity
Good references (aka good morals / personal ethics)
Smart, honest and capable
Good salesman aka people person

To me I think White and Chesney fit the above in different ways. They’re both young and aren’t coming in here ala a Grob to let other people do the heavy lifting. They’ll both be heavily involved in every aspect of the team. They know that this is a huge deal for them because they don’t have 20 years of HC laurels to fall back on. They won’t be ok ”retiring” if they fail. They want to succeed because of where in their lifecycle they are (not saying older people don’t want to succeed at all, so please don’t twist those words). Success to these younger more “unproven” coaches is very important to their career arc.

I personally like the idea of Chesney. Seems like a good guy that works hard and has the respect of his players, both past and present. We could do a lot worse than grabbing an up and coming coach with ties to the NE that is hungry and wants to succeed.

We all already know that only ADJWs opinion is what counts. This is all debate, speculation, and a free exchange of ideas. it’s ok to have a differing opinion.

If Chesney coached in Iowa or Tennessee he wouldnt even be in the conversation. He’s only being looked at because he coaches in and is from the northeast. That’s the ONLY reason.

There are a lot of good lower level coaches out there. I’d go vet former QB Willie Simmons at Florida A&M. In 6 seasons he is 33-12 and 64-24 overall as a HC. Dynamic offense and from the ACC footprint who started his college career at Clemson. That’s the type of guy I want.
This isn’t true. I’ve heard his name discussed prior for jobs outside of the NE. He’s a good coach who will move up.

The risk with guys from the south is they underestimate the cultural and recruiting hurdles in the north east.

I don't look at more expensive is better. I think it's a function of unearthing a gem vs turning over the same old rocks again. There's certainly a premium to certain guys who are so outside of our price point like Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, et al. Those are never going to happen.

We are in the retread guys looking for a second shot, coordinators looking for their first shot and the exotic lower division hot shots.

I see this search as a we have nothing to lose. Bob Chesney would be a crazier pick in say 2005 when we were still a commodity in college football. We need to shake things up in a big way again. I liken this to when Mac came in. SU is at a 52 week low stock wise. If Chesney doesn't work we have lost no ground at all IMO because we're already at the bottom of the ACC and college football.

If it works we may get ourselves back into the hot shot category again (which is where SU was when i was there in the early 90s). no program was cooler IMO than Syracuse University Orangemen football.
Two highest paid failures both over 70 million didnt work out well. Pay a fair amount and pay up for assistants

This isn’t true. I’ve heard his name discussed prior for jobs outside of the NE. He’s a good coach who will move up.

The risk with guys from the south is they underestimate the cultural and recruiting hurdles in the north east.
Never ever ever ever never had a coach from the south. HC.

Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin, Pete Carroll, Steve Sarhisian, Jim Harbaugh are all "retreads", that's just off the top of my head. Honestly, it sounds unbelievably stupid that a person who has never been in a position is going to be better than someone who has already been in that position. People learn.

I am not surprised. Media reports show 10 potential candidates. He may not even get an interview even with our excitement about him.

He’s the real outside the box candidate. If you were him it’s business as usual until it isn’t. Wildhack won’t have to worry about Bob getting an equal raise where he is and staying. The only worry is someone else jumps into coaching search. If that happens then maybe bobs lawyer/agent tells him to play it cool if Syracuse isn’t his first choice of likely openings

If he is JWs guy and wildhack is interviewing others to confirm it, that makes sense. I wouldn’t be surprised if JW uses Thanksgiving as a way to get him to campus in a down low way (or even someone else). Good time to show things with zero wondering eyes around….

I bet this is finalized by Monday next week
Wildhack has already interviewed his top candidates or knows them and if it’s of mutual interest. If the search firm has a wildcard, he will add them to the mix. Any good CEO always has a plan in place with the most important hire. He would not have thrown out the 12/4 date if this was not a done a deal already.

I like Chesney's resume!...But, I may be going out on a limb here, but I am predicting our next coach will be Tony White! Why: 1. Wilhack has great respect for him already 2. His 3:3:5 worked at Syracuse and we need to keep that system 3. He is a NY guy and he understands the limitations of the Syracuse situation and so, he should be prepared. 4. He had a great relationship with his players and that is important for any Coach. 5. He is young and hungry!
Would be fine with either guy. Can tell you that Nebraska loves White, he has changed the culture on defense. White would keep the defense in tact and momentum going, my only concern is that the SU job is a stepping stone as he is a west coast guy. Chesney has better potential as a long term play And like that he could bring the QB.

Mark Duffner once dominated the Patriot League with HC. He was 60-5 and 25-1 in conference.
Gained him an opportunity to coach Maryland in the ACC. Where he ended up 20-35 never to be head coach again.

We also seen what happened to Joe Moorhead.

Big boy football is completely different from these small schools. Not saying it can’t happen but it’s very rare.
Well said

If I was hiring someone to a C level position for my business, these are the requirements I’d want:

Hard worker
Good work ethic
Some success in this industry/role (could be at a smaller co)
Problem solver
Outside the box thinker / creativity
Good references (aka good morals / personal ethics)
Smart, honest and capable
Good salesman aka people person
the holy grail of candidates. this person is a unicorn

Am I the only one who thinks we are motivated here primarily because he’s cheap to get?
That doesn't matter. If he succeeds, he wont be cheap to keep. We'll have to step up eventually.

Would be fine with either guy. Can tell you that Nebraska loves White, he has changed the culture on defense. White would keep the defense in tact and momentum going, my only concern is that the SU job is a stepping stone as he is a west coast guy. Chesney has better potential as a long term play And like that he could bring the QB.
I agree 100% on Chesney as a better long term fit than White. Whoever the coach is...we need to retain the 3:3:5 in my opinion!

You’re combing two different ideas into your argument. There’s the rebuild of an entire program and the rebuild of the current football team. The next coach, whomever it is, doesn’t have a rebuild project with the current roster. No coach is single-handedly going to rebuild the football brand when he steps on campus. Which is what I was under the impression you were trying to argue.
How can you separate the rebuild of the entire program with the rebuild of the team? They're two sides of the same coin - micro/macro, short term/long term. If you properly build the roster, you build a winning culture and get wins on the field. Wins lead to the rebuilding of the brand/reputation - all intertwined and inseparably related, imho.

You say the next coach doesn't have a rebuild project with the current roster? Why, because its just overflowing with ACC caliber talent, budding superstars and a room full of promising young QBs?

This roster is currently 1-6 in ACC play against a soft schedule, in a down year for the league. And when you factor in the portal defections that have already begun, whoever the next coach is - it's not like he's inheriting some kind of sleeping juggernaut stocked with young talent. We have far too many lineman who can't block, receivers who can't separate or catch consistently and QBs who can't effectively throw in live games.

Like with most first year coaches, there will likely be lots of roster turnover when the new guy arrives. And normally more losses than wins that first season. It would be great if the next guy can come in, hit the ground running and make a bowl yr one. That'd be amazing. That would also be the exception, not the rule.

So I don't think the next coach is walking into some kind of ready made, bowl-assured roster. There are a few talented players on the current roster to work with to be sure. But this roster still has a long way to go to compete against the better teams in the ACC.

I'm high on White for all the same reasons you cite. I think he'd be an excellent hire. But there is one obvious risk with White - no head coaching experience. Not all successful coordinators end up being good head coaches, so lacking HC experience is an undeniable red flag.

With Chesney, he checks the " has HC experience" box and has proven to be a more than capable head coach - 111-46/70% winning percentage. Regardless of the level of competition, that's outstanding. But there is one obvious risk with Chesney - no P5 coaching experience. Not all successful coaches at lower levels of competition succeed when they move up in class, so lacking P5 experience is also an undeniable red flag.

So if JW's choice is btwn White and Chesney, it really comes down to which red flag bothers you less. ADJW is looking for someone to rebuild his program. So do you pick the candidate who is a proven program builder - albeit at a lower level of competition with no experience in big boy football? Or do pick you pick the candidate who displays all the attributes to be a program builder, with the requisite experience and success in big boy football - albeit as a coordinator, not a head coach?

It's a tough call. But if it were my call to make, I think I'd lean towards the proven program builder over the projected program builder.

I think both men are going to be successful P5 head coaches at some point in their careers. The question is, will it be at Syracuse? Cant wait to learn JW's answer.
Love your response! I am leaning towards Chesney as well. There is just something about him!! His record as a winner and program builder at multiple levels speaks to something that he has...something inherent ...some intangibles... some kind of magic...that makes me want to take a chance on him!!!!!

Love your response! I am leaning towards Chesney as well. There is just something about him!! His record as a winner and program builder at multiple levels speaks to something that he has...something inherent ...some intangibles... some kind of magic...that makes me want to take a chance on him!!!!!
Agreed.

How can you separate the rebuild of the entire program with the rebuild of the team? They're two sides of the same coin - micro/macro, short term/long term. If you properly build the roster, you build a winning culture and get wins on the field. Wins lead to the rebuilding of the brand/reputation - all intertwined and inseparably related, imho.

You say the next coach doesn't have a rebuild project with the current roster? Why, because its just overflowing with ACC caliber talent, budding superstars and a room full of promising young QBs?

This roster is currently 1-6 in ACC play against a soft schedule, in a down year for the league. And when you factor in the portal defections that have already begun, whoever the next coach is - it's not like he's inheriting some kind of sleeping juggernaut stocked with young talent. We have far too many lineman who can't block, receivers who can't separate or catch consistently and QBs who can't effectively throw in live games.

Like with most first year coaches, there will likely be lots of roster turnover when the new guy arrives. And normally more losses than wins that first season. It would be great if the next guy can come in, hit the ground running and make a bowl yr one. That'd be amazing. That would also be the exception, not the rule.

So I don't think the next coach is walking into some kind of ready made, bowl-assured roster. There are a few talented players on the current roster to work with to be sure. But this roster still has a long way to go to compete against the better teams in the ACC.

You’re all over the place. You made part of my argument in the 1st paragraph, so thank you for that. The rest, is exaggerations of what I said or my intent.

You’re all over the place. You made part of my argument in the 1st paragraph, so thank you for that. The rest, is exaggerations of what I said or my intent.
All over the place? I've said the same thing consistently - it's a rebuild. And it is. You may disagree with that but who cares?

All over the place? I've said the same thing consistently - it's a rebuild. And it is. You may disagree with that but who cares?

You care, that's who cares because you keep responding lol.

I agree 100% on Chesney as a better long term fit than White. Whoever the coach is...we need to retain the 3:3:5 in my opinion!
Zack Arnett DC? Hear he's available these days. And he too has a Syracuse history - well, sorta?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom