Bob Chesney | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

I won't know until I finish googling all the coaches.

I like the fact that Lewis is (was) part of the hottest ticket in college football this season, coach Prime's CU Buffs. There is a certain electricity to that that does not exist on the New England Sports Network game of the week. I like that he was the OC for a high octane offense, in a P5 league.

We'll see.

After a 2-10 year in his first season, Lewis led Kent State to seven wins and a bowl victory in Year 2. It marked the program’s first winning season since 2012 and its first bowl victory in program history.

Anyhow, I hope its a true national search. I am not in this to guess who Wildhack picks...

Lewis and Chesney's conference records
  1. 2018 4-2 (chez) to 1-7 (Lewis)
  2. 2019 5-1 (chez) to 5-3 (Lewis)
  3. 2020 2-0 (chez) to 3-1 (Lewis)
  4. 2021 6-0 (chez) to 6-2 (Lewis
  5. 2022 6-0 (chez) to to 4-4 (Lewis)
Before Chez, HC was 4-7.
Before Lewis, Kent State was 2-10.

And just looking at the team's Kent State plays, they are way more recognizable than who HC plays.

Why are you discounting Lewis' accomplishments at Kent State, resurrecting an even more moribund program?
He was incredible at one of the worst jobs in all of D1 football. I think he should be on the short list. His Dino connection, fair or not, is most likely going to work against him in our search.

Dude you’re ridiculous talking 250-300 mile radius not 60 mile radius. Big difference. Sometimes I think you and Billy Joel like go to extremes a bit too much. Neither are good songs. We aren’t talking Geneva Vs Weedsport here
We are losing too many great 5'11" athletic superstars with first names like Grayson and Jackson and Maverick and Chase and brayden to lacrosse

We start thinking about local recruits and then we start thinking about the types of offenses they are used to playing and that makes things even worse

And the few kids that are any good go to Penn State and notre dame

We are losing too many great 5'11" athletic superstars with first names like Grayson and Jackson and Maverick and Chase and brayden to lacrosse

We start thinking about local recruits and then we start thinking about the types of offenses they are used to playing and that makes things even worse

And the few kids that are any good go to Penn State and notre dame
all true, football is not much of anything in NYS anymore. A lot of the best athletes aren't playing it anymore

all true, football is not much of anything in NYS anymore. A lot of the best athletes aren't playing it anymore
My wife and I have had discussions about how the nature of high school sports has changed due to the rise of club sports, especially in soccer and lacrosse. Lots of articles on it as well, basically high school sport participation is declining rapidly. Football in particular has a participation problem.

My wife and I have had discussions about how the nature of high school sports has changed due to the rise of club sports, especially in soccer and lacrosse. Lots of articles on it as well, basically high school sport participation is declining rapidly. Football in particular has a participation problem.
The best kids go play mls next and skip school soccer. I don't think there are many high D1 athletes playing other sports

East high in Rochester has better athletes than any pay to play soccer and lax. (My son has been one of those pay to play soccer kids who also wouldn't become any loss for a football team)

It’s a struggle for football because of the numbers you need. I coached both Hirls and Boys Varsity Soccer in the past 30 years. It has gotten absurd with every Varsity Coach trying to convince players to focus on their sport (Off season travel team, Olympic Development Program, AAU and other club teams, Off season strength training) That’s why you see a lot fewer 2 and 3 sport stars, constant pressure from coaches to not do that. Of course in Florida/Texas…. football rules without question.

The buyout isn’t a problem, if we want Chesney and Chesney wants us it’ll happen.
Could be factored into future game payouts even. It's a huge honor for Holy Cross if one of their guys gets poached too. And the program is way better situated for the next guy.

It’s a struggle for football because of the numbers you need. I coached both Hirls and Boys Varsity Soccer in the past 30 years. It has gotten absurd with every Varsity Coach trying to convince players to focus on their sport (Off season travel team, Olympic Development Program, AAU and other club teams, Off season Texasstrength training) That’s why you see a lot fewer 2 and 3 sport stars, constant pressure from coaches to not do that. Of course in Florida/Texas…. football rules without question.
It's all ridiculous. Gullible parents thinking that year round focus will turn the kid into something they're not when they could just play a bunch of sports and have fun

Spend 40k trying to get a 5k merit scholarship to a d3 only for the kid to burn out. If the kids good, he'll be good

My opinion of speed training for twelve year olds is not popular with wealthy parents of slow twelve year olds

I won't know until I finish googling all the coaches.

I like the fact that Lewis is (was) part of the hottest ticket in college football this season, coach Prime's CU Buffs. There is a certain electricity to that that does not exist on the New England Sports Network game of the week. I like that he was the OC for a high octane offense, in a P5 league.

We'll see.

After a 2-10 year in his first season, Lewis led Kent State to seven wins and a bowl victory in Year 2. It marked the program’s first winning season since 2012 and its first bowl victory in program history.

Anyhow, I hope its a true national search. I am not in this to guess who Wildhack picks...

Lewis and Chesney's conference records
  1. 2018 4-2 (chez) to 1-7 (Lewis)
  2. 2019 5-1 (chez) to 5-3 (Lewis)
  3. 2020 2-0 (chez) to 3-1 (Lewis)
  4. 2021 6-0 (chez) to 6-2 (Lewis
  5. 2022 6-0 (chez) to to 4-4 (Lewis)
Before Chez, HC was 4-7.
Before Lewis, Kent State was 2-10.

And just looking at the team's Kent State plays, they are way more recognizable than who HC plays.

Why are you discounting Lewis' accomplishments at Kent State, resurrecting an even more moribund program?

In a way we already tried Lewis. He is a very good O mind and his teams will put up a ton of yards and points, but that is just part of the game. Look at 2016 and 2017. We went 4-14 vs P5 teams and 2-2 against G5 teams. That was because our D stunk and we lacked depth.

So why would we expect different if he were hired? That is a question he would need to answer in the interview and it better be a good one. What is his plan on D when the teams he has been a part of have been bad the last 8 years? What is his plan for recruiting when he has little to no connects within our recruiting base (both the Northeast and the rest of the Atlantic seaboard)? If he has good answers, great.

At least with Chesney you know he has contacts in NJ, PA, VA, Florida, and even Texas. He just needs those schools to send him their 3 star kids instead of their 1 star kids. We also know that with Chesney that he wants to be strong on O, D, and STs. Holy Cross was 1st in Total D in 2021 and 17th in 2022 to go along with his high Scoring O ranks. This year they weren't any good on D.

I don't think any of the names being thrown around is an Ash like choice. They are all solid on paper. But I also don't think anyone is really a HR (maybe Mullen). Everybody has positives and everyone has negatives.

Just peeking at the stats the RB1 averages over 6 yards a carry and they have a 1000 yard receiver to go with their running QB. RB2 averages over 6 as well. Does run the QB a lot though.

Giants just signed OLB Benton Whitley off the Vikings practice squad. Whitley went to Holy Cross and played for Chesney. Definitely a sign :rolleyes::

To the point that there is now a SIGNIFICANT 8 man football division with a state tournament, not just sectionals.
Pembroke scored a hundred in one of those tournament games, I'm surprised they even have enough for 8 man

I think it's fair to say that the defense has more talent if no one lleaves than the offensive side and that if you need potentially on offense 3 to 4 more starting capable oline, a starter and backup QB and a #1 WR and WR bench to go with your stud but injured TE and RB that you have a partial rebuild. Definitely some talent but I heard allot of fans kvetching in game threads that our recruiting stinks and we have no talent to compete. Now some of those voices in game chat are emotionally stunted for sure but I am not sure I would call Syracuse a "step away " from anything. Allot of work is needed. Especially when you are at ground zero from a QB standpoint. Lots of "maybes " and "what ifs" still need to shake out with injuries, players returning, keeping certain recruits in the fold and finding needs. This could range from a slightly moderate lift to a real heavy lift depending. To be clear my opinion here and 75 cents may get you a cup of coffee :cool:

Spend 40k trying to get a 5k merit scholarship to a d3 only for the kid to burn out. If the kids good, he'll be good

My opinion of speed training for twelve year olds is not popular with wealthy parents of slow twelve year olds

So are you saying I should return the agility ladder I just bought for my 8 yr old daughter

Last edited:
It certainly looks like JW has a number of excellent candidates.
Mullen
Ches
Al
White
Doug
Lewis
And a slew of others.
JW will make a good decision. I do believe it's Al White or Ches with Mullen and Doug as long shots

It's all ridiculous. Gullible parents thinking that year round focus will turn the kid into something they're not when they could just play a bunch of sports and have fun

I find it ridiculous as well. So many parents spending insane money traveling every weekend for their kid who is not that good in the grand scheme.

For a girl best bet is golf scholarship or full ride ROTC like mine did. I wish my kid would have played more golf but the route she’s taking is pretty good too.

Well for a lot of parents you have to do it just for your kid to remain competitive and make the team. I’m seeing it now with my almost 6-year old who is doing a beginner lacrosse clinic. We just want exposure, there are some who take it way too seriously for a 5 and 6 year olds.

In a way we already tried Lewis. He is a very good O mind and his teams will put up a ton of yards and points, but that is just part of the game. Look at 2016 and 2017. We went 4-14 vs P5 teams and 2-2 against G5 teams. That was because our D stunk and we lacked depth.

So why would we expect different if he were hired? That is a question he would need to answer in the interview and it better be a good one. What is his plan on D when the teams he has been a part of have been bad the last 8 years? What is his plan for recruiting when he has little to no connects within our recruiting base (both the Northeast and the rest of the Atlantic seaboard)? If he has good answers, great.

At least with Chesney you know he has contacts in NJ, PA, VA, Florida, and even Texas. He just needs those schools to send him their 3 star kids instead of their 1 star kids. We also know that with Chesney that he wants to be strong on O, D, and STs. Holy Cross was 1st in Total D in 2021 and 17th in 2022 to go along with his high Scoring O ranks. This year they weren't any good on D.

I don't think any of the names being thrown around is an Ash like choice. They are all solid on paper. But I also don't think anyone is really a HR (maybe Mullen). Everybody has positives and everyone has negatives.
Yeah, all of the candidates had better have good answers to their interview questions, not just Lewis or whomever. And there had better be good interview questions.

I hope Wildhack is focused on the process, not the person.

Yeah, all of the candidates had better have good answers to their interview questions, not just Lewis or whomever. And there had better be good interview questions.

I hope Wildhack is focused on the process, not the person.
I think he will, this hire is his legacy along with Red.

At least with Chesney you know he has contacts in NJ, PA, VA, Florida, and even Texas. He just needs those schools to send him their 3 star kids instead of their 1 star kids.
Or leverage those contacts to get looks from the 3*s that he couldn't get before who are now entering the portal.

a number of schools in NY will be out of the sports business in the next 20 years.

I just pulled my 16 year old out of this MCU timeline. He doesn't practice on his own, so I'm not spending the money on it anymore. And the coaches for these clubs are just using them as vehicles for players from their own HSs. Very frustrating ecosystem.

Coaching youth lax from 1st grade to about 8th grade, and now watching them into their junior years, has been fascinating.

The kids who practice on their own and are having fun rapidly rise above the rest. If they are a natural athlete, even better. One of my kids is going D1 at some random school in Missouri. But, he was a gifted athlete. He started in 5th grade and by the end of 6th was on a regional club, by 7th on a state club, and eventually state and national teams. Just this past year he won a state championship and was 1st team all state. Its crazy.

But, the majority are spending too much money for inarguably too little return. Close to $10k per year for multiple years only to not get a scholarship anywhere. Those kids start dropping out of that path in 10th grade when they don't make varsity in HS, or don't play much. By 12th grade they aren't on the clubs anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom