Bob Chesney | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

Mark Duffner once dominated the Patriot League with HC. He was 60-5 and 25-1 in conference.
Gained him an opportunity to coach Maryland in the ACC. Where he ended up 20-35 never to be head coach again.

We also seen what happened to Joe Moorhead.

Big boy football is completely different from these small schools. Not saying it can’t happen but it’s very rare.

I’m not saying I think this is the direction we should go but you mention one person who failed and then say it’s “very rare” these guys are successful. Most of the NFL and P5 are filled with guys from lower levels. How do you think they started. It’s actually not rare at all.

I’m not saying I think this is the direction we should go but you mention one person who failed and then say it’s “very rare” these guys are successful. Most of the NFL and P5 are filled with guys from lower levels. How do you think they started. It’s actually not rare at all.
Did someone say "Wesleyan College"?

AP21341109903966.jpg

You realize NIL is more about the boosters right?
My bank account sure does, but that doesn't diminish my overall point a guy who coached at Holy cross and did not win big even at Holy Cross can not be the top candidate.

Holy Cross LB Jacob Dobbs, an All-American, entered the portal as a grad transfer; this season he had 123 tackles, 12 TFL, 6 sacks and 3 FF in 9 games; in his career he totaled 432 tackles, 46.5 TFL, 22.5 sacks, 4 INT, 4 FF and 8 PD @JLDobbs5 @mfarrellsports

My bank account sure does, but that doesn't diminish my overall point a guy who coached at Holy cross and did not win big even at Holy Cross can not be the top candidate.
He made the FCS playoffs FOUR YEARS IN A ROW at HOLY CROSS. They belonged on the field with South Dakota St when they played them in the yoffs and had BC and Army on the ropes. Again, at Holy freaking Cross.

That is arguably as, or more difficult, than the challenge at Syracuse.

My only push back to that is there is a GIANT difference on how these teams play on the field. Offenses are vastly more complicated in the Power 4 schools then they are in the ivy league or patriot league. Talent affords schools to use different techniques and schemes. I have ties to Cornell football I know their philosophy its vastly different then what even Syracuse attempts.

It was a long time ago but Mark Duffner was hot as a rocket at Holy Cross, went to Maryland and after four years below 500 became a career assistant.

Agree with your post, this is a worry with Chesney, floor could be a lot lower than a Golden type who's in the P4.

Coming from a small school and eventually moving up yes.
I’m talking about going straight from a Patriot League or similar school to a power conference and succeeding.
If that’s not rare, name me some examples please.

He made the FCS playoffs FOUR YEARS IN A ROW at HOLY CROSS. They belonged on the field with South Dakota St when they played them in the yoffs and had BC and Army on the ropes. Again, at Holy freaking Cross.

They didn't make it this year did they? And they did not win a thing. If you are taking a coach from that level of football and bringing him in he should have damn near made it to the Championship. Otherwise offer the coach from Villanova or Delaware?!

It was a long time ago but Mark Duffner was hot as a rocket at Holy Cross, went to Maryland and after four years below 500 became a career assistant.

Agree with your post, this is a worry with Chesney, floor could be a lot lower than a Golden type who's in the P4.
We can't worry about floors or ceilings. Just find the right guy. Safe picks will be safely mediocre. Aggressive picks could be disasterous or a lightening strike of success.

At this point Syracuse has nothing to lose. I see us as Colorado looking for a Deion like spark. Program needs to be bold here whether it's a guy who is considered out of our reach (BoB) or a guy who is just hitting his prime (Chesney)

We can't worry about floors or ceilings. Just find the right guy. Safe picks will be safely mediocre. Aggressive picks could be disasterous or a lightening strike of success.

At this point Syracuse has nothing to lose. I see us as Colorado looking for a Deion like spark. Program needs to be bold here whether it's a guy who is considered out of our reach (BoB) or a guy who is just hitting his prime (Chesney)

You're not looking for a Deion spark - your posts (which I agree with) are all northeastern football footprint types of hires.

And the Deion thing might end up as a disaster.

Bob Chesney coached at my college (Salve Regina) in the late 2000's early 2010s. I had the opportunity to meet him at some alumni events. He is incredibly dynamic and articulate, while giving off some PJ Fleck vibes minus the douchey and cliched attitude. He has been successful everywhere he has been. My concern is lack of FBS experience, ONLY a Northeast experience at that. Can't we do better? Can't we do more experienced? Can't we get someone who has done this before?

ALBANY ! made the playoffs this year, we should have got whoever that coach is here yesterday, probably have to wait until FCS playoffs are done this year i get it. And he recruited Jared Verse, open up the check book he is gonnnnnaaa be expensive lol.

Comparing Chesney to Deion Sanders now? He can provide that same type of spark for us?
I admire you Bob fan boys but let’s be a bit realistic. You’ve let your love for coach BC to cloud your judgement.

i'm jim fassel...chips to the center of the table.

if he fails, i'll buy more chips...

A full cycle (even amount of home and away games) through the ACC under the current format is 14 years. Over those 14 years I would expect SU to have at least 3 HCs. That is just the nature of CFB. If we get a good HC, they will move on in 3-4 years. If we get a bad HC, we will move on in 3-4 years. If we get a decent HC, things will get stale in 6-8 years and we will need to move on.

ACC schools
Clemson 15.5 years
NC State 11 years
Wake 10 years
Pitt 9 years
Cal 7 years (might get fired)
UNC 5 years (retiring?)
BC 4 years
FSU 4 years
Duke 2 years (might bounce)
Miami 2 years
SMU 2 years
UVA 2 years
VA Tech 2 years
GA Tech 1.5 years
Louisville 1 year
Stanford 1 year

Not including SU, the median tenure is 3 years. And if Cal fires their HC it will be 2 years. So half the conference is at 2 years or less. Only 5 are over 5 years (assuming Cal HC stays).

I think Chesney is different than anything we have tried at Syracuse so far and that is sort of exciting in itself. I think when an organization steps outside of its comfort zone sometimes great things happen. Because it has worked someplace else doesn't mean it will work here and because it failed someplace else doesn't mean it will fail here.

I think the unknown is what excites me about Chesney if it doesn't work out oh well we will just do this all over again in 3-4 years. If it works out it could be a long-term answer to our football program. The risk is well worth the reward.

I would much rather take a flyer on Chesney than a coordinator.

You're not looking for a Deion spark - your posts (which I agree with) are all northeastern football footprint types of hires.

And the Deion thing might end up as a disaster.
I didn't articulate myself well enough.

Hiring Deion was a risk by Colorado. one that may blow up in their face.
Syracuse needs to make a risky hire. For us the risk may be hiring a guy from the Patriot league. It's still a risk that could blow up.

I just don't think we can be safe with our picks. We need to operate with some courage and allow JW to find the guy who has the energy and willpower to turn this around

Disagree I would rather have winning consistently then take a flyer on someone. Jason Candle is 68-33 and never had a losing season. Thats what i'd prefer. Bowl game every year with occasional great year

I am so surprised so many people want this guy to be the hire. The ACC and power 4 dynamics with NIL and the transfer portal are worlds apart from the patriot league. Maybe he would be fantastic but winning at Holy Cross is worlds different then winning in the ACC., especially with a coach that has zero experience in big time college football. Its not like he could even bring a couple players with him from Holy Cross. Could he be successful? Maybe but he would have to hire one heck of a group of assistant coaches who can recruit at this level, and have experience coaching at this level.
Success with out the bells and whistles of p5 resources is why you’d look that way. You can hire experience under you and support staff to help. A young dynamic coach can figure out recruiting. P5 athletes are not that different than G5 or FCS kids. We don’t normally swim in the top end of the pool anyways. A program builder develops talent. The portal can be learned - ie - most of the coaches out there at every level have been learning on the fly. There’s no “master of the portal going on 20 years”

ALBANY ! made the playoffs this year, we should have got whoever that coach is here yesterday, probably have to wait until FCS playoffs are done this year i get it. And he recruited Jared Verse, open up the check book he is gonnnnnaaa be expensive lol.
We’re never going to be a big time player in recruiting, our ceiling is a few 4 star players. We need a coach that is fundamentally sound, knows how to build a program, and knows how to do more with less. Holy Cross could be considered harder to win at than Syracuse. The only thing missing from his resume is P5 experience, if we don’t hire him someone else is going to and if he goes elsewhere and on to be successful it’s going to leave a very bad taste in our mouths. He’s a great coach.

He has never beat a good FBS team or any of the top FCS teams. His team took a step back this year which is a red flag. Hard pass.

Holy Cross could be considered harder to win at than Syracuse.
There are no strong programs in the Patriot league, it's an FCS bottom dweller. Colgate is probably one of the better football programs in that league.

We’re never going to be a big time player in recruiting, our ceiling is a few 4 star players. We need a coach that is fundamentally sound, knows how to build a program, and knows how to do more with less. Holy Cross could be considered harder to win at than Syracuse. The only thing missing from his resume is P5 experience, if we don’t hire him someone else is going to and if he goes elsewhere and on to be successful it’s going to leave a very bad taste in our mouths. He’s a great coach.

Holy Cross is harder to win at than Syracuse?!

I feel like I’m in some kind of fever dream.
The Bob Chesney fan club is in full force folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom