Boeheim's Army: " Lydon is a Jewel" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's Army: " Lydon is a Jewel"

I'm not really feeling these lineups offensively. Hopefully there will be improvement and some nice surprises but I think we'll have one more year of some ugly O.

I was most pleased to hear that he jumps like TR did when he was a freshman.
I just hope for his sake he can score like TRob did at the same age.

I'm referring to something I saw off the court when Roberts was on his recruiting trip, on Marshall Street, at about 2 AM. Let's just say he apparently played a game of 1 on 3 at the Sheraton that night.

I agree. The tools are there, it's just some pretty basic stuff he needs to clean up. 6-3, terrific athlete, solid handle (he just doesn't protect the ball well enough), and better than average midrange game. Just needs to keep his hands up on defense and, as mentioned, protect the ball better. And get some more freaking confidence. He played skittish.

If he improves and we can put more shooters out there he might really be able to do some damage driving the ball. I know some talk about the BC game but I think back to the Nova game. Nova was loaded with quality guards and KJ killed them for about an 8 min stretch in the pick and roll during the second half. He can absolutely be a dangerous pick n roll pg without huge improvements. I think he needs huge improvements on defense, decision making on the break and courtvision/awarness. I think he needs to strengthen his handle with the left as well.

Lydon seems like the type of player that other teams always have that just go off on us - except it sounds like we have a better version of it.

I did read the chat. At best there's speculation that he might be improved. Nothing about "turning heads" like Lydon.

Correction: yes, it's possible he starts on day 1... I'm talking about the most effective starting 5.

That's just it--G is a more effective scorer / shooter than KJ at this stage of their respective developmental curves, but as a team -- while G has the requisite versatility to initiate the offense -- is that plodding, ineffectual half court slow down game best for the team?

Probably not.

That's just it--G is a more effective scorer / shooter than KJ at this stage of their respective developmental curves, but as a team -- while G has the requisite versatility to initiate the offense -- is that plodding, ineffectual half court slow down game best for the team?

Probably not.
We will be so much better off this year with Gbinije playing on the wing it's not even funny. If we're playing G at point guard for extended minutes, it could be a long season, I fear.

Probably not.

Plus G's advantage is playing offense against forwards. He can play PG, no doubt but he is more of a catch and shoot slasher naturally which is hard to do when you are running the offense. When he is guarded by forwards he gets into the lane at will, not so much when he's checked by a guard. I do love when he gets a rebound and takes off with it. The more guys you have who can do that the better.

You've got to love Terrence Roberts. He comes off like our very own version of Uncle Rico with how he compares himself to Tyler Lydon, particularly when it comes to shooting.

T-Rob, we love you, but I think my 4 year old son is already a better shooter than you ever proved to be in game situations.

But that Rutgers game though

We will be so much better off this year with Gbinije playing on the wing it's not even funny. If we're playing G at point guard for extended minutes, it could be a long season, I fear.

Plus G's advantage is playing offense against forwards. He can play PG, no doubt but he is more of a catch and shoot slasher naturally which is hard to do when you are running the offense. When he is guarded by forwards he gets into the lane at will, not so much when he's checked by a guard. I do love when he gets a rebound and takes off with it. The more guys you have who can do that the better.

Agree on both counts.

Reading MW's chat responses today, I'm pretty confident KJ is showing the improvement needed to hang on to his starting role.

KJ
Cooney
G
Roberson
Coleman

...with Lydon / Richardson and hopefully Diagne as the bench. Howard probably won't break in this year, but sounds like he's an impact player down the road.
KJ will not start.

KJ will not start.

Even if that is the staffs plan as of now I think it could certainly change by the time the season starts. Practice hasn't started yet and the coaches have limited access to what they can do with the players until practice officially starts. We'll see and I certainly think its quite possible he won't start but I doubt anything is set in stone at this point.

Too early to speculate on the 8.

Lydon still needs to get stronger. It's a huge factor..

Don't sleep on Howard...if KJ isn't ready yet, he will steals minutes.

Who knows, but it still think the starting five will be;

KJ
Cooney
G
TR
DC
and the 1st sub will likely be 1 of the big kids for KJ as G slides up from the 3 to the 1...which is impressive in its own right.

and the 1st sub will likely be 1 of the big kids for KJ as G slides up from the 3 to the 1...which is impressive in its own right.
I think this is most likely what will happen. Not sure if it'll be one of the bigs, but I think that KJ will start and be either the first or second person to see the bench, with Gbinije sliding over while he's on the bench. It could either be Malachi or Lydon or Diagne coming in, and that's the plus side to G having some experience playing PG - we can shift our lineup around very fluidly with that personnel. Gbinije/Cooney/Malachi/Roberson/DC, Gbinije/Cooney/Lydon/Roberson/DC, Gbinije/Cooney/Roberson/Diagne/DC, etc. There's a lot of flexibility, but I think KJ will get the reins to start the year.

Lydon seems like the type of player that other teams always have that just go off on us - except it sounds like we have a better version of it.
UMass? Not sure if it's exactly comparable, but in 2007, they beat us in the Dome and their 7'1 Center (Bonner) went 2-4 against us FROM 3. Almost as bad, their two forwards (Forbers and Brower) went 3-6, and 4-6, respectively FROM 3. Painfull memory.
http://umasshoops.com/games/2007-08/1128syracuse/#boxscore

Then, in the NIT the next year, they beat us again. I think JB is 0-2 against them, one of the few black marks on his record. In the second game, Brower torched us again from outside (5 for 10 from deep). And Harris (a guard) hit 5-12 3 pointers. Sucked.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=280850183

Last edited:
Franklin Howard being compared to CJ Fair is lovely.
If we're talking about crafty scoring, sure. If we're talking about overall game, well, CJ isn't someone I'd have wanted to see playing point.

I'll take something between Fair and MCW.

If we're talking about crafty scoring, sure. If we're talking about overall game, well, CJ isn't someone I'd have wanted to see playing point.

I'll take something between Fair and MCW.

My favorite thing about CJ, other than the rim rattling dunks, was his ability to finish in heavy traffic under the rim. The guy was just very versatile and creative when he drove for a look inside.

Franklin Howard is more of a slasher. He does have a few unorthodox shot releases. I'd compare him to Josh Pace in that regard but with a better handle. Like Pace, he doesn't have an outside shot.
That's fine with me, Josh Pace and Kueth were the two players i grew into Syracuse basketball loving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom