Boeheim's Army: " Lydon is a Jewel" | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's Army: " Lydon is a Jewel"

In general it seems when people try to make player comparisons of TylerL they seem to forget to factor in how athletic he is. He's an elite athlete.

One more awesome complement and I'm going to think we have the second coming of Hansborough on our team.

Loved this paragraph:

He jumped up, dunked with one hand and his neck was at the rim," Roberts said. "He was swinging on the rim. Being able to pass the ball, put the ball on the floor at his height, I told Boeheim, 'He's a jewel, man.' He said, 'That's good. We need a jewel.'

Now a question regarding this. Its ok that former players are playing current players in pick-up games right? No violations or anything?

Loved this paragraph:

He jumped up, dunked with one hand and his neck was at the rim," Roberts said. "He was swinging on the rim. Being able to pass the ball, put the ball on the floor at his height, I told Boeheim, 'He's a jewel, man.' He said, 'That's good. We need a jewel.'

Now a question regarding this. Its ok that former players are playing current players in pick-up games right? No violations or anything?
Yes as long as they don't play in rec-league games cause you know that is a huge advantage for them :rolleyes:

That's not what I took away from recent articles. "it's a process"... doesn't scream improvement. That's what you say when you can't think of anything positive.

I literally dropped my head and rubbed my eyes at the thought of Devo mentoring him on the Orange system as a PG. Eric is a natural scoring guard with a fearless trigger, but he will set KJo back if he thinks he can teach him anything about playing the zone.

I literally dropped my head and rubbed my eyes at the thought of Devo mentoring him on the Orange system as a PG. Eric is a natural scoring guard with a fearless trigger, but he will set KJo back if he thinks he can teach him anything about playing the zone.
That said - one of Joseph's biggest issues last year was confidence. Who in the world would be better to mentor KJ in gaining confidence than a tag team of Devo and GMac?

Dcuse said:
How much money you got? See posts by jekelish and jordoo( #'s 36,38) above and learn a little about basketball.

It's the biggest ? Going into the season...I don't think it's set one way or the other.

Lydon is super skinny so that may limit him ala CM5 when competition gets rough and tough. The best part about Lydon imo is that Roberson will be able to play the 4 and Lydon will get some minutes at the 3 with G and Richardson. Last season when CM5 was healthy Roberson was out of place on the offensive end.

Lydon is super skinny so that may limit him ala CM5 when competition gets rough and tough. The best part about Lydon imo is that Roberson will be able to play the 4 and Lydon will get some minutes at the 3 with G and Richardson. Last season when CM5 was healthy Roberson was out of place on the offensive end.
I agree that it could limit him some, but again, I really feel the need to point this out: he played on the U18 team with guys like Justise Winslow, Stanley Johnson, Myles Turner, Stephen Zimmerman...and he was the leading rebounder.

He's skinny. But he's not nearly as weak as people want to think.

Additionally, he's MUCH more perimeter oriented than McCullough. McCullough was a 4/5, while Lydon is absolutely a wing forward (who may play some PF out of necessity).

That said - one of Joseph's biggest issues last year was confidence. Who in the world would be better to mentor KJ in gaining confidence than a tag team of Devo and GMac?

The KJo from the @ BC game is a 2nd team all ACC player. The ability is there, he just needs to experience success and critics will be forced to look for a new whipping boy. I do hope some of that swagger translates.

Not sure about UMass but I'm kinda envisioning a Steve Novak type player.
Sorry when I posted that ...I had more to put in. I added to it right away to put the links in, but you had already responded. If you go back up and look I put the box scores in there -- the main reason I brought up UMass is that their tallest players (7.-1 center and 6-8/6-9 forward) killed us from outside and we couldn't stop them.

I agree that it could limit him some, but again, I really feel the need to point this out: he played on the U18 team with guys like Justise Winslow, Stanley Johnson, Myles Turner, Stephen Zimmerman...and he was the leading rebounder.

He's skinny. But he's not nearly as weak as people want to think.

Additionally, he's MUCH more perimeter oriented than McCullough. McCullough was a 4/5, while Lydon is absolutely a wing forward (who may play some PF out of necessity).

I did say "may"! It's no guarantee he is going to get bullied on the defensive glass. His narrow frame is just a cause for concern prior to see him playing an actual college game. I am a glass is half empty type of guy!

I did say "may"! It's no guarantee he is going to get bullied on the defensive glass. His narrow frame is just a cause for concern prior to see him playing an actual college game. I am a glass is half empty type of guy!
Oh, I know. If Tyler was 215 or 220 instead of 200, I think he'd be a lock to start, because I think he's, overall, the most talented player on the roster. If he were 215 and started this season, I think he'd be one and done. I legitimately think he's that good.

When I first heard about Lydon's Verbal Commit I was thinking who's this kid. What are the coaches doing I thought. Why did they offer this kid.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/10/syracuse_gets_commitment_from_1.html

And then I thought, they would not have offered him if they did not see something special in him and his game. But still, I was not convinced. I watched his highlight tape and thought about Mike Water's comment "they only show shots that go in on highlight tapes". Nothing in the highlight tape made me go, "wow this kid is the second coming of some Orange basketball god of the past".

But the Chris Carson's article is very encouraging: "This guy, Tyler Lydon, if he gets stronger, he can be one-and-done or two-and-done," said Roberts

You can't coach height as they say. But being able to make good choices and make good shots under pressure is just as important as anything else. I sure hope this kid is the real deal. I would love to see TL become this season's X-factor.

Sorry when I posted that ...I had more to put in. I added to it right away to put the links in, but you had already responded. If you go back up and look I put the box scores in there -- the main reason I brought up UMass is that their tallest players (7.-1 center and 6-8/6-9 forward) killed us from outside and we couldn't stop them.

Don't give me Harper Williams flashbacks! Wasn't that the joker that hit the 3 back in the 92 tourney?

There's so much to like in this article. I love the "family" feel, and it's great for the youngsters to bang with the "old" guys. Also love how some of the guys have matured and are better leaders off the court now. win - win

Bang with the old guys Huh?

Oh, I know. If Tyler was 215 or 220 instead of 200, I think he'd be a lock to start, because I think he's, overall, the most talented player on the roster. If he were 215 and started this season, I think he'd be one and done. I legitimately think he's that good.
I agree. 200 is not enough bulk. Unfortunately, it's the weight (soaking wet) of our starting PF, who's also 2 inches shorter than Lydon. Not to get this started again (because Rob's is a good player), but just saying ... Lydon could seriously help us.

Agree on both counts.
And to add to Jordoo's comment (that G is a matchup problem for a forward offensively, but not for a guard as much), G is sometimes a defensive liability on the perimeter also. He has little chance of staying in front of the top ACC guards... too quick. It's great G's a swiss army knife, and all, but we need him at the 3.

Last edited:
jekelish said:
You've got to love Terrence Roberts. He comes off like our very own version of Uncle Rico with how he compares himself to Tyler Lydon, particularly when it comes to shooting. T-Rob, we love you, but I think my 4 year old son is already a better shooter than you ever proved to be in game situations.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess I do the same thing now looking back at my game and making the stories, and memories to be so much better then what they really are.

I love Lydon's potential, but think he will need a year to bulk up a bit, but then watch out. I'm trying to think of a comparable game, and all I can come up with is Dontae Green with hopefully some more defense.

As for starting line up I'll go the safe route:

KJ
Coon
G
TRob
DC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics