Boeheim's Army: " Lydon is a Jewel" | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's Army: " Lydon is a Jewel"

jekelish said:
You've got to love Terrence Roberts. He comes off like our very own version of Uncle Rico with how he compares himself to Tyler Lydon, particularly when it comes to shooting. T-Rob, we love you, but I think my 4 year old son is already a better shooter than you ever proved to be in game situations.
Excuse me? No one is a version of me.

And to add to Jordoo's comment (that G is a matchup problem for a forward offensively, but not a guard as much), G is sometimes a defensive liability on the perimeter also. He has little chance of staying in front of the top ACC guards... too quick. It's great G's a swiss army knife, and all, but we need him at the 3.
MG might have some missing components as a pg but so does KJ2. MG may not have the quickness but has superior height. And, so far at least, intensity.

And if you put MG at pg, you could put in someone like Lydon or Malachi. One of those two could easily blow up and to get that person on the court JB just may want to sit KJ2. Because it is safe to say MG is seeing big minutes this year.

I literally dropped my head and rubbed my eyes at the thought of Devo mentoring him on the Orange system as a PG. Eric is a natural scoring guard with a fearless trigger, but he will set KJo back if he thinks he can teach him anything about playing the zone.
I think Devo might have picked up some defensive pointers playing internationally for the past 5 years.

I agree. 200 is not enough bulk. Unfortunately, it's the weight (soaking wet) of our starting PF, who's also 2 inches shorter than Lydon. Not to get this started again (because Rob's is a good player), but just saying ... Lydon could seriously help us.

I'd rather have him fast than bulked. If he's hitting outside shots his bulk will not matter.

No reason for Lydon to start. He can be the super sub off the bench we always have had. I don't care about his weight. He will slowly get stronger. He has a skill for hunting down the ball and has proved it against top competition.

I think that this kid's going to be a really good one. He seems to have a little chip on his shoulder, which I like.

Also, the home page displayed the thread title as follows: "Boeheim's Army: " Lydon is a Jew..."
That's what lured me in, thought the kid might be a landsman.

Any idea if he's related to John Lydon?

Just remember that any of these freshmen better play some good defense if they are going to get a chance at meaningful minutes.

Barring injury, Lydon isn't starting and G isn't the 1. However, wouldn't it be nice to see a Syracuse team that can throw out a group of shooters to spread the floor. I think this year's team is going to have a bit more offensive flexibility with Malachi and Lydon.

You've got to love Terrence Roberts. He comes off like our very own version of Uncle Rico with how he compares himself to Tyler Lydon, particularly when it comes to shooting.

T-Rob, we love you, but I think my 4 year old son is already a better shooter than you ever proved to be in game situations.
He once made a game-winning 3.

You've got to love Terrence Roberts. He comes off like our very own version of Uncle Rico with how he compares himself to Tyler Lydon, particularly when it comes to shooting.

T-Rob, we love you, but I think my 4 year old son is already a better shooter than you ever proved to be in game situations.
I will not argue about his rushed shots, but we never saw the real Roberts. He played on broken wheels and gave it his all.

Franklin Howard is more of a slasher. He does have a few unorthodox shot releases. I'd compare him to Josh Pace in that regard but with a better handle. Like Pace, he doesn't have an outside shot.
You obviously did not read the Josh Pace practice reports.

"He can shoot the mid-range like clockwork." :)

BIG fan of Howard's game. Strongly believe that he's going to be a very good one here [just don't expect him to get his chance this year, although he's more than capable if KJ falters].

I like him too He just seems to have good instinct for playing the game and getting to the basket. Everybody's talking Joseph, Gbinije, Battle. Don't under-rate Frank Howard.

Last edited:
I agree. 200 is not enough bulk. Unfortunately, it's the weight (soaking wet) of our starting PF, who's also 2 inches shorter than Lydon. Not to get this started again (because Rob's is a good player), but just saying ... Lydon could seriously help us.

Is TR still at 200 lbs? Saw a recent picture of him, posted here in the last few weeks, and the guy looked pretty stacked. Looked like he added 10-15 pounds of muscle from what I remembered last year.

MG might have some missing components as a pg but so does KJ2. MG may not have the quickness but has superior height. And, so far at least, intensity.

And if you put MG at pg, you could put in someone like Lydon or Malachi. One of those two could easily blow up and to get that person on the court JB just may want to sit KJ2. Because it is safe to say MG is seeing big minutes this year.
No doubt G sees big minutes. He's a senior and one of our best scorers. Having him on the perimeter, while helpful during KJ's development, is certainly not ideal. No doubt he will play some minutes up top, but he's not a guard. At 6'7, yes he adds height to the back court. And his defense is not that much worse than KJ's last year -- but KJ was a freshman. I fully expect a sophomore leap from him this year, including his defensive intensity.

Another problem with G up top is that there's a big hole at the 3 when he's playing guard. He can't stay in front of better ACC guards, and having him shore up PG prevents JB from using him where he really hurts other teams -- playing SF where he can hit the long jumper or get inside at will against players his size. When you put him at PG, these attributes are wasted ... because he's not going to drive by too many decent ACC guards, so they play up on him negating his height advantage.

KJ's our best bet at PG if he's making good decisions and being smart on defense, and I think you will see both of those issues improve this year. Certainly, if he's not having a good game or is not handling the pressure of certain game situations well enough, G can be the bandaid. If this happens, it's probably not a good sign for the team.

Last edited:
Is TR still at 200 lbs? Saw a recent picture of him, posted here in the last few weeks, and the guy looked pretty stacked. Looked like he added 10-15 pounds of muscle from what I remembered last year.
That's great .. I haven't seen him in person, but some beef will really help him. What I'm even more concerned about is his shot. That's the big question mark for him this year.

We're 0-4 vs UMass 92, 95, and 07 x 2.
Always good to hear from you, Doc. ;) (I think the last loss was in 2008 (East Regional 2nd Round). But the one in 2007 at the Dome was the worst -- having their 7'1 center hit 2 threes' against us really sucked).

I think that this kid's going to be a really good one. He seems to have a little chip on his shoulder, which I like.

Also, the home page displayed the thread title as follows: "Boeheim's Army: " Lydon is a Jew..."

Saw the abbreviated title as well and fully expected the full title to read: "Boeheim's Army: Lydon is a Jewish Chandler Parsons"

That's great .. I haven't seen him in person, but some beef will really help him. What I'm even more concerned about is his shot. That's the big question mark for him this year.

Agree. If TR shows up this year with 1) mo' beef 2) more consistent mid range jumper and 3) increased confidence, he could be a really strong player for us this year.

Agree. If TR shows up this year with 1) mo' beef 2) more consistent mid range jumper and 3) increased confidence, he could be a really strong player for us this year.
Oh he's a good player. He totally manned up against Pitt in the Rugby game in the Dome. He's a very long, fluid athlete, and in the right position I think he could be a matchup nightmare (he plays too big for a SF and he's too quick for a PF to guard).

My concerns with him are the same as others have posted about many times. His jumper was almost non-existent last year, and teams could play off him with the ball and drop back to double our Center. At 6'7, he's a little undersized for a PF, and against bigger ACC front lines he has difficulty establishing and keeping good position. Other than in those situations, he has a long reach and sure hands. I love him in "space" ... the area at the second level (4 feet away from the rim or so) where he has a talent for long rebounds and put-backs.

If he has added some strength AND restored confidence in his jump shot, he could do damage this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom