Bronco Mendenhall stepping down at Virginia / Tony Elliott hired | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bronco Mendenhall stepping down at Virginia / Tony Elliott hired

It’s a phenomenal school and the area is rather wealthy. Facilities seem top notch and the alumni aren’t nearly as nuts as the VT ones are about this stuff.

True but we're talking football and I'm not sure recruits necessarily see what you (and I might) see. Old is not 'historic' but 'broken down.' UVA is what a middle aged guy thinks a university campus should look like and I say that as a middle aged guy. Still hard for me to overlook all the confederate flags whenever I drive down there.

The same can be said for Syracuse. They're pretty similar in that regard, they're both snooty liberal private universities in the middle of rural podunk.

No SU and Syracuse the city is much more diverse. That should be a selling point for us in a sport where African Americans make up more than half the players. Agreed that outside Syracuse gets country pretty quickly but not nearly as quickly as C'ville.

No SU and Syracuse the city is much more diverse. That should be a selling point for us in a sport where African Americans make up more than half the players. Agreed that outside Syracuse gets country pretty quickly but not nearly as quickly as C'ville.
Yup. C’ville MSA is 235,000. no comparison. We dwarf that area

True but we're talking football and I'm not sure recruits necessarily see what you (and I might) see. Old is not 'historic' but 'broken down.' UVA is what a middle aged guy thinks a university campus should look like and I say that as a middle aged guy. Still hard for me to overlook all the confederate flags whenever I drive down there.

Understood. I golfed at Birdwood this summer (as a middle aged white guy) and it's UVa's home course along with tennis facility, that was just really nice . But yeah players aren't hitting vineyards and horse farms.

As a coach I would think it's one of the better jobs in conference if stability and quality of life were more motivating than where college football is going. Roster has 51 in state kids which has to make recruiting far easier than SU.

It's nice but let's not get carried away. And football recruits couldn't give a tinker's dam about the Lawn. Not to mention that five minutes outside of C'ville, it's hick city for miles and miles.
Why is it assumed that everyone prefers an urban environment? Not everyone grew up in and prefers a city. Clemson, Penn St. and Auburn are just a few examples of rural campuses that have no trouble attracting people.

The schools have the same percentage of African Americans in attendance. 15 minutes outside of Syracuse is the sticks.

I’ve been to Tuscaloosa, I don’t think recruits analyze the immediate area much at all.
I don't disagree. I was more responding to the idea that Syracuse is more cosmopolitan than Charlottesville. It ain't.

Private? UVA?
Back in the Day 50 years ago, we used to call ourselves "America's only state-supported private school" because we were so small, reputedly the 4th smallest "University of" in the country. My class in the liberal arts college was the first one to exceed 1000 students and people were screaming to stop expansion.

I lived in C’ville for years. Great town. I left in part because it was snooty beyond compare. Have lived in that environment before and it’s just not enjoyable for me.

When I lived on campus I used to hear that alumni wanted the university to do well but not TOO well. They prize their status as an academic institution and don’t want it tarnished by sporting success. At least in football. I take that with a grain of salt but there is some truth to it
Have those dumb fxck UVA Alum ever heard of Notre Dame?

I agree to some extent but I think this year would almost guarantee a poor HC choice if we had to compete with all other falling dominos.

Next year may provide a tad less competition (at least that’s the story I’m sticking to) if we’re in the market.

Coaches get fired or quit every single year.

Probably true for a fair number of schools that aren’t directly located downtown of the city.
Actually only south on 81 it's 12 minutes to Nedrow.

Other directions put you in Cicero, Liverpool, Dewitt / FM, Fairmount at 15 minutes out from quad

It's nice but let's not get carried away. And football recruits couldn't give a tinker's dam about the Lawn. Not to mention that five minutes outside of C'ville, it's hick city for miles and miles.
Five minutes outside SU campus and your in the projects. Five minute walk that is.

Coaches get fired or quit every single year.
No $chitt.

Georgia, USC and Miami were the biggest name brand schools looking for coaches when SU hired Babers.

Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, Iowa State and UCF were other notables.

Compared to 2021:

USC, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, LSU, Florida, VaTech, UVA, Duke, Washington, Washington State, Texas Tech, TCU, and more.

And that’s just the HC changes.

Factories changing coordinators is also not fun to compete with.

I’m fine rolling the dice next year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom