Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

So you think he got the same opportunity as Buddy?

He never really came off the bench and made a huge impact on a game and earned more opportunity the way Buddy started doing in the second half of the ACC season.

So you think he got the same opportunity as Buddy?
More or less. If Buddy hadn't made three 3s against Ga Tech - and hadn't followed that up by going 4-5 from 3 against Pitt two games later and then 3-6 from 3 the very next game against Miami (completing a 4 game stretch where he shot 11-20 from 3-pt range!) - I think his minutes would have looked a lot more like Goodine's. But Buddy did hit those shots, that's pretty important to factor in, don't you think?

And I also think that Brycen's broken nose in early January makes this comparison a little silly to begin with. One guy got hurt - the other didn't - so how do we make a fair comparison of "did this guy get the same opportunity as that guy"?

I liked Brycen - I'm bummed he's leaving - I just take issue with the implications or statements that he didn't get a fair chance here. I think that's a bunch of malarkey.

He never really came off the bench and made a huge impact on a game and earned more opportunity the way Buddy started doing in the second half of the ACC season.
Exactly. What was the game this year when Brycen came in and grabbed the game by its throat? You can come up with games when Joe did that... when Quincy did it... when Buddy did it... even Jalen had a "wow" performance at MSG as a freshman. But Brycen - I don't know, to me he never really had that game or that spurt where I thought "we've got to find ways to get this kid on the floor!"

I think Brycen is a good player - and I probably would have played him more than Jim did. It seemed like JB never settled on a true "third guard" this year - Howard played back-up point guard, and Brycen played back-up shooting guard. It would have been better for Brycen if he could have been the primary back-up at both those spots, but he never really showed the ability to run the point when he was in there. Ultimately, splitting the back-up minutes between two guys instead of just one left them both unhappy.

And I don't blame him for wanting to seek out a better/different opportunity. I wish him well and am curious to see where he ends up and how good he turns out to be.

Exactly. What was the game this year when Brycen came in and grabbed the game by its throat? You can come up with games when Joe did that... when Quincy did it... when Buddy did it... even Jalen had a "wow" performance at MSG as a freshman. But Brycen - I don't know, to me he never really had that game or that spurt where I thought "we've got to find ways to get this kid on the floor!"

I think Brycen is a good player - and I probably would have played him more than Jim did. It seemed like JB never settled on a true "third guard" this year - Howard played back-up point guard, and Brycen played back-up shooting guard. It would have been better for Brycen if he could have been the primary back-up at both those spots, but he never really showed the ability to run the point when he was in there. Ultimately, splitting the back-up minutes between two guys instead of just one left them both unhappy.

And I don't blame him for wanting to seek out a better/different opportunity. I wish him well and am curious to see where he ends up and how good he turns out to be.
How exactly do u “grab a game by its throat” when you play 5 minutes every 4th game, & every mistake or missed shot gets you a seat on the bench?
He NEVER got the opportunity to develop like JG & Buddy did, that’s not debatable, IMO.
Also, if i remember correctly, there was one game later in the year, the team escapes me, where he hit like 2 consecutive threes, made a couple of shots & steals, and all of us on the game thread were wondering “ why hasn’t this kid been playing more”? And what did that performance get him? You guessed it, a seat on the bench where he never RE-entered the game or saw PT for a few more games afterwards. To be fair, that scenario happened a few times w/ HoWash as well...play well, sit anyway.
Its just not a fair comparison vs the other 2 because the parameters were not the same. One played under a cloud hoping to NOT make mistakes, while the 2 others knew that they were gettin their 35-40 minutes, regardless of 3’s surrendered, bad passes thrown, or missed shots. It’s unconscionable that Buddy averaged over 36 MPG, whether he was playing well or not. There’s just no excuse for that disparity for anyone not named Carmelo Anthony. There wasn’t equal treatment, that was pretty obvious.

Last edited:
I agree with Bees that Brycen has a lot of talent. I hope he stays. Wish JB was more willing to run a normal rotation and give the backups a little regular playing time. A veteran coach should know how to manage playing time. Love JB but we have lost too many players with short sided foolish substitution patterns (or lack thereof).
What I find interesting is that JB didn't always substitute, or refrain from it, the way he does now. I've watched a few old games lately ranging from the '80's up until the 2009 6 OT game. He used to rest starters a little. Can you imagine Sherman Douglas coming out of games today? As a starter he averaged 32, 34, and 35 minutes per game. Coleman averaged 30, 32, 33, and 35. Carmelo averaged 36.

If those guys can sit a few minutes per game, I don't get how there can be such a talent drop off that minutes can't be found now to develop a bench with Joe and Buddy as the starters. It's as if JB has forgotten how he did things in the past.

How exactly do u “grab a game by its throat” when you play 5 minutes every 4th game, & every mistake or missed shot gets you a seat on the bench?
He NEVER got the opportunity to develop like JG & Buddy did, that’s not debatable, IMO.
Also, if i remember correctly, there was one game later in the year, the team escapes me, where he hit like 2 consecutive threes, made a couple of shots & steals, and all of us on the game thread were wondering “ why hasn’t this kid been playing more”? And what did that performance get him? You guessed it, a seat on the bench where he never RE-entered the game or saw PT for a few more games afterwards. To be fair, that scenario happened a few times w/HoWash as well...play well, sit anyway.
it not a fair comparison vs the other 2 because the parameters were not the same. One played under a cloud hoping to NOT make mistakes, while the others knew that they were gettin their 35-40 minutes, regardless of 3’s surrendered,bad passes thrown, or missed shots. There wasn’t equal treatment, that was pretty obvious.
He never made two 3s in the same game.

He never made two 3s in the same game.
Too lazy to look it up, but it was later in the season vs Gtech or Wake or something. BG played really well for a few minutes stretch, and yes, was rewarded with a seat on the bench as Buddy came back in because...stretch the floor.

Too lazy to look it up, but it was later in the season vs Gtech or Wake or something. BG played really well for a few minutes stretch, and yes, was rewarded with a seat on the bench as Buddy came back in because...stretch the floor.
So Brycen's signature moment this season was a game that you really can't remember? You just proved my point. Thanks!

As long as Buddy is on this roster and we don’t win there is going be a problem. Transfer Portal?

My best case scenario would be something like:

Girard makes mild statistical improvements and gives us something like 13 and 5 on 38% shooting(35% from 3)

Buddy same thing: maybe 16 ppg on 39% from 3

Quincy gives us 11 and 7.

Marek rediscovers the outside shot that was improving his sophomore year and at least becomes a guy who can knock down open 3s(junior year CJ Fair style) and makes a big jump to a 17 and 8, second team all ACC level guy.

Sidibe builds off his strong end of the season and gives us 8 points and 10 boards a game.

Kadary is ready to help and has his moments and maybe gives 6 ppg off the bench - like a freshman Waiters or Deshaun Williams level production.

And Edwards is at least ready to be a legit decent backup who doesn’t just play in emergencies, but gives you a reasonably decent 7-8 mpg.
That still doesn't equal what we had this year, so I'm guessing you are content with us being worse.

That still doesn't equal what we had this year, so I'm guessing you are content with us being worse.

lol, that’s a pretty big assumption to make based on me pulling some possible projected numbers out of my...

If I had one wish, it wouldn't be for money or power. It would be for a "life simulator" where I could plug all you "experts" in to coach this team for the last 5 years and see what results you would have gotten.

A lot of you here are VERY full of yourselves. You've never coached a single game, but you have ALL the answers. :rolleyes:

Jimmy transfers in to take his spot. ;)
Same could be said about plugging anybody into anyone's job. It's JBs and second guessing is part of it.

So Brycen's signature moment this season was a game that you really can't remember? You just proved my point. Thanks!

But, what was Buddy's big moment as a Frosh? Spacing?

The game against Baylor?

In ACC games where Buddy played less than 10 minutes, we were 3-1.

In rematches against those teams we were 0-3 after we went to big minutes Buddy.

I'm sorry, but the threes will never be enough to offset what we lose by giving him big minutes. He's improved this year, improved dramatically with the ball, but he still can't do enough to absorb having him play significant minutes.

He's a phenomenal chess piece, a huge piece of the puzzle, a fantastic change of pace guy that can drill threes, and change up the offense in an instant. He's not a shooting guard though - he's a player without a position that we can use strategically for offense/shooting. Like UL with McMahon.

That's ALL HE IS.

Last year, he was a 5-10 minute guy. That got way, way, way more. This year he's a 10-20 minute guy. That got way, way, way more. Partially out of necesity, but moreso because the coach has a blind spot for his son.

We're playing him 40 minutes whenever we can, and it's insanity. I've never seen a forum so obsessed with threes...it's the equivalent of thinking whatever bench dude that just dunks should play WAY MORE because his FG% is through the roof!!! The dunks are fun...but there is more to the game than that.

Last edited:
But, what was Buddy's big moment as a Frosh? Spacing?

The game against Baylor?

In ACC games where Buddy played less than 10 minutes, we were 3-1.

In rematches against those teams we were 0-3 after we went to big minutes Buddy.

I'm sorry, but the threes will never be enough to offset what we lose by giving him big minutes. He's improved this year, improved dramatically with the ball, but he still can't do enough to absorb having him play significant minutes.

He's a phenomenal chess piece, a huge piece of the puzzle, a fantastic change of pace guy that can drill threes, and change up the offense in an instant. He's not a shooting guard though - he's a player without a position that we can use strategically for offense/shooting. Like UL with McMahon.

That's ALL HE IS.

Last year, he was a 5-10 minute guy. That got way, way, way more. This year he's a 10-20 minute guy. That got way, way, way more. Partially out of necesity, but moreso because the coach has a blind spot for his son.

We're playing him 40 minutes whenever we can, and it's insanity. I've never seen a forum so obsessed with threes...it's the equivalent of thinking whatever bench dude that just dunks should play WAY MORE because his FG% is through the roof!!! The dunks are fun...but there is more to the game than that.
The kid hit three or more 3-pt FGs nine different times last year in ACC games. And you think his big moment was spacing? You're too funny.

I don't envy you, my man - you've got 2 more years of watching SU with Buddy playing significant minutes, even though you know in your heart that "he's not a shooting guard" (whatever that means). That's gotta suck for you.

And why add on the crap at the end about thinking that a kid who made 97 3s on the season while shooting at a 37% clip is somehow equivalent to the "bench dude that just dunks"? Nobody thinks that - you just come across as a nut when you write stupid stuff like that.

Geez, dude- this isn’t a competition, at least not to me. You wanna pat yourself on the back, then power to you...you’re the winner. Hooray for you!
If you can’t grasp the basic premise of opportunity afforded, versus opportunity implied, then i can’t help you. But you do you, bruh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom