Buddy suspended for Duke | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy suspended for Duke

JFC, some you make me embarrassed to be an SU fan. Cut the homer crap. It’s sad.
Same people think fans who realize Buddy had to be suspended only think that because they hate Jim Boeheim.
Not that Buddy actually threw a punch and sadly in 2022 basketball that is a suspension.

If you hate JB then you think Buddy should be suspended. If you think JB js bigger than the program then you must complain about the suspension is unjust.

Buddy should be suspended, but I am bookmarking this thread until the day some suburban Duke player does something stupid, doesn’t get suspended, and one of our moron Duke sucking fans defends that player not getting a suspension like half this board did over Grayson Allen’s career.

Anyone that doesn’t think that’s a punch should give it a go at a bar. See what the verdict is.

This thread is insane.

A good kid had a bad moment and got properly punished.

Root for the team on the court today and stop trying to justify a dumb decision by Buddy.

Does someone always need to ask Jay Bilas before forming an opinion? He's just another commentator with his own opinion. He talks sense sometimes and nonsense other times.
We all have opinions.

Anyone that doesn’t think that’s a punch should give it a go at a bar. See what the verdict is.

This thread is insane.

A good kid had a bad moment and got properly punished.

Root for the team on the court today and stop trying to justify a dumb decision by Buddy.
it's a "punch" and the reason he should not be suspended is ...see Jay Bilas

A bad year. Capped off with the leading scorer and coach’s son taking himself out of an opportunity to Beat Duke.

Lame.

I just swung my arm sounds like something I'd desperately say between punching my brother and taking a beating as a kid

I'll tell you, if I pulled that "swung my arm" excuse as a kid, that lie/lack of accountability would have gone over way worse than the punch itself.

It scares me that some otherwise capable people are parents.

Yeah, pretty much that.

I think you're right that there are some vicious elbows (illegitimate in a basketball context) that are deserving of ejection/suspension, but the distinction is that the elbow can be a basketball move while a punch cannot. Because officials struggle when there's a gray area, punches are treated differently.
I disagree that an "elbow" is a basketball move. It is always a foul. You can't throw an elbow legally. But you are pointing out that illegal elbows are many times overlooked as part of the game and not treated the same way as a "punch" simply due to the part of the body used. I understand the gray area comment and agree somewhat. However, if you have the luxury of time to review for hours, I think it is prudent to consider the differences in "punches" like people do for elbows.

A bad year. Capped off with the leading scorer and coach’s son taking himself out of an opportunity to Beat Duke.

Lame.

I've got no ill-will toward Florida State, but I'd be the first one rooting Buddy Boeheim on to Beat Duke.

I always wished Cooney had tried to Beat Duke after that opposing player punched him (unpunished, obv) at midcourt near the end of the 2014 OT game.

I disagree that an "elbow" is a basketball move. It is always a foul. You can't throw an elbow legally. But you are pointing out that illegal elbows are many times overlooked as part of the game and not treated the same way as a "punch" simply due to the part of the body used. I understand the gray area comment and agree somewhat. However, if you have the luxury of time to review for hours, I think it is prudent to consider the differences in "punches" like people do for elbows.
I can only assume you haven't played much basketball. I've taken many elbows to the face (even broke my nose on one) that had no ill intent. I've never been punched in a game, however. It happens nearly every game to someone.

Lame.
Actually what Buddy did was wrong, but Jay Bilas
has it right. Now the ACC has opened Pandora's box. From now on after every football or basketball game, they are going to have to go back and disqualify every player, who commits a foul that the referees miss during the game.
Not a smart move on the league's part.

Buddy threw a punch.
The ACC could have suspended him for a half like the NCAA gave Johnny Manziel a ridiculous half game suspension his last year.

If this wasn’t Buddy’s last game then nobody would complain.

Kid deserves a chance to end his career on the court.
However we as a fanbase outside of the Couscuse wing have to accept he did the deed.

It sucks for the kid but he did it. Intent doesn’t mitigate the crime it mitigates the severity of the crime punishment.

I can only assume you haven't played much basketball. I've taken many elbows to the face (even broke my nose on one) that had no ill intent. I've never been punched in a game, however. It happens nearly every game to someone.
LOL...I played in grammar school, high school, college (intramurals) and rec until my late 30s.

You must not have played much if you have never been "punched".

I said elbows are always illegal. Yes, they happen all the time. That's my point. Many times they are intentional and yet, who can really say?

After hearing Bilas during the game begging for a suspension, he comes out today on Twitter saying it was wrong of the ACC to suspend him...can't make this crap up

LOL...I played in grammar school, high school, college (intramurals) and rec until my late 30s.

You must not have played much if you have never been "punched".

I said elbows are always illegal. Yes, they happen all the time. That's my point. Many times they are intentional and yet, who can really say?
The example that comes to mind is the way players are taught to rebound. You go up for the ball and then you are taught to "chin it" as my coaches called it. Grab it with two hands, elbows out. Then you swing the ball to protect it. Elbows are a bit lowered now but it's still the same idea. When you have players swiping at you after a rebound, an elbow can be inadvertent in the context of a basketball move. That's the difference.

There is no basketball move that involves a closed fist which is the primary characteristic of what's considered a punch.

Buddy threw a punch.
The ACC could have suspended him for a half like the NCAA gave Johnny Manziel a ridiculous half game suspension his last year.

If this wasn’t Buddy’s last game then nobody would complain.

Kid deserves a chance to end his career on the court.
However we as a fanbase outside of the Couscuse wing have to accept he did the deed.

It sucks for the kid but he did it. Intent doesn’t mitigate the crime it mitigates the severity of the crime punishment.
He’s playing tomorrow. Book it. :)

The primary example that comes to mind is the way players are taught to rebound. You go up for the ball and then you are taught to "chin it" as my coaches called it. Grab it with two hands, elbows out. Then you swing the ball to protect it. Elbows are a bit lowered now but it's still the same idea. When you have players swiping at you after a rebound, an elbow can be inadvertent in the context of a basketball move. That's the difference.

There is no basketball move that involves a closed fist.
but there is no basketball move that involves swinging elbows...which is why it is an infraction even if you don't hit someone.

Definitely prudent, I'm just not sure it's realistic. It seems to me that at every step of the way in every sport replay and post hoc review has caused further frustration.

40 pages on this. Amazing.

The worst part is that we are the joke, and not in on the joke, as a program.

Buddy punched a kid. He got a one game suspension. End of story, but here we are rationalizing, equivocating, etc, when it doesn't really matter. This all amounts to trying to stomp out a cigarette in the middle of a forest fire.

We are 16-16 and about to get trucked for the third time by Duke. We don't have an ESPN 100 kid for next year.

But here we are, grasping at ANYTHING that may somehow take away the injustice that is Buddy's maybe-kinda-sorta-open-hand-twisting-dance-routine leading to a one game suspension against a team that has basically toyed with us.

This thread is sad more than anything. It's not even the ridiculousness of people claiming it's not a punch or he shouldn't have been suspended, it's that we care so much about something that just won't matter, instead of focusing on caring why even our coach says we can't hang with Duke.

Buddy is a good kid and he had a bad moment. In other news, we're about to finish 16-17 for the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom