Buddy suspended for Duke | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy suspended for Duke

40 pages on this. Amazing.

The worst part is that we are the joke, and not in on the joke, as a program.

Buddy punched a kid. He got a one game suspension. End of story, but here we are rationalizing, equivocating, etc, when it doesn't really matter. This all amounts to trying to stomp out a cigarette in the middle of a forest fire.

We are 16-16 and about to get trucked for the third time by Duke. We don't have an ESPN 100 kid for next year.

But here we are, grasping at ANYTHING that may somehow take away the injustice that is Buddy's maybe-kinda-sorta-open-hand-twisting-dance-routine leading to a one game suspension against a team that has basically toyed with us.

This thread is sad more than anything. It's not even the ridiculousness of people claiming it's not a punch or he shouldn't have been suspended, it's that we care so much about something that just won't matter, instead of focusing on caring why even our coach says we can't hang with Duke.

Buddy is a good kid and he had a bad moment. In other news, we're about to finish 16-17 for the year.
Tbh I needed this thread. It’s March.

Rebound, pivot. Guys stick their head in there and take it all the time.
yes...I agree, happens all the time. They are fouls (not always called). Not sure the point.

Tbh I needed this thread. It’s March.

Kacey Musgraves Smoking GIF by Paramount+

Buddy punched a kid. He got a one game suspension. End of story, but here we are rationalizing, equivocating, etc, when it doesn't really matter. This all amounts to trying to stomp out a cigarette in the middle of a forest fire.

We are 16-16 and about to get trucked for the third time by Duke. We don't have an ESPN 100 kid for next year.

But here we are, grasping at ANYTHING that may somehow take away the injustice that is Buddy's maybe-kinda-sorta-open-hand-twisting-dance-routine leading to a one game suspension against a team that has basically toyed with us.

This thread is sad more than anything. It's not even the ridiculousness of people claiming it's not a punch or he shouldn't have been suspended, it's that we care so much about something that just won't matter, instead of focusing on caring why even our coach says we can't hang with Duke.

Buddy is a good kid and he had a bad moment. In other news, we're about to finish 16-17 for the year.
Ha, right we used to argue about Fab Melo's suspension as a 1 seed.

Oh how far we have fallen.

Actually what Buddy did was wrong, but Jay Bilas
has it right. Now the ACC has opened Pandora's box. From now on after every football or basketball game, they are going to have to go back and disqualify every player, who commits a foul that the referees miss during the game.
Not a smart move on the league's part.
Every foul? No. Why would they disqualify players for normal fouls?

I believe they already do review plays that involve actions that are flagrant/dangerous that should have warranted an ejection, as they should. It's not like Every game has ejectionable offenses. We're talking a handful over a season across the league and they are always caught by someone who can flag it for the conference to review.

yes...I agree, happens all the time. They are fouls (not always called). Not sure the point.

It's a basketball move. And now when refs go to review it they're far more lenient than when that rule started being enforced - because it's a basketball move.

What's not a basketball move is rabbit punching a guy after a made basket.

Fans rationalizing something bad that happened to the team! Oh no! It almost like fans stands for fanatics and many of them have unhealthy obsession with the team! Whatever will we do with our Shame!

Let’s be honest, no one is guaranteeing syracuse goes out there and competes with Duke, but to write off the fantasy simply because YOU think it’s unrealistic is almost as sad as baselessly defending what buddy did. You don’t have to stomp on peoples hopes, what difference does it make to fans whether or not they believe the team can win? This could be the last game of the season and people hope that it won’t be, it’s not your job to come on and tell them they’re being ridiculous because they’re rooting for the team they are a fan of. All this talk of being disconnected from reality and yet the fan site is writing off a game before they’ve even tipped off. I know I can’t see into the future, but maybe you can (what are tomorrows lottery numbers then?).

After 39 pages, I notice the underlying delight (not well masked) of some in this thread that Buddy is suspended on a questionable post-game decision is equally correlated to those that have had enough of his father at the helm of the program.

If we can win today it will prove that Buddy never should have been starting.

Of course if Jimmy has a great game...

but there is no basketball move that involves swinging elbows...which is why it is an infraction even if you don't hit someone.
What? Using your elbows after securing a rebound isn’t a basketball move?

Buddy threw a punch.
The ACC could have suspended him for a half like the NCAA gave Johnny Manziel a ridiculous half game suspension his last year.

If this wasn’t Buddy’s last game then nobody would complain.

Kid deserves a chance to end his career on the court.
However we as a fanbase outside of the Couscuse wing have to accept he did the deed.

It sucks for the kid but he did it. Intent doesn’t mitigate the crime it mitigates the severity of the crime punishment.
I mean, of course I largely agree. But we’re fans. You know, fanatics, which implies some level of irrationality. What Buddy did was wrong, no doubt, and he should have gotten a flagrant foul during the game. But back in the day, Syracuse fans would have rallied around Buddy, who’s a great kid and the polar opposite of his cranky dad, and said it was unfair for this suspension to happen in what could possibly be his last game—or at least pointed out that the refs screwed up for not tossing him out of the game when the altercation happened. Punishing him after the fact isn’t in the rule book, which is what Bilas has argued. This has been such a depressing season, I’d just like to see the fanbase rally around our player now and not be so rational about him deserving his punishment. (We see UConn fans defending psycho Hurley’s behavior all the time.) The rule, btw, is that the refs have to issue the flagrant foul during the game. The ACC shouldn’t have gotten involved after the fact, but they bowed to all the coverage it received. Anyhow, how amazing would it be to see us beat Duke, then Buddy returns and we win the ACC title? Sure it’s unlikely, but that would be the most Syracuse move ever and the sports media would lose its collective minds.

Fans rationalizing something bad that happened to the team! Oh no! It almost like fans stands for fanatics and many of them have unhealthy obsession with the team! Whatever will we do with our Shame!

Let’s be honest, no one is guaranteeing syracuse goes out there and competes with Duke, but to write off the fantasy simply because YOU think it’s unrealistic is almost as sad as baselessly defending what buddy did. You don’t have to stomp on peoples hopes, what difference does it make to fans whether or not they believe the team can win? This could be the last game of the season and people hope that it won’t be, it’s not your job to come on and tell them they’re being ridiculous because they’re rooting for the team they are a fan of. All this talk of being disconnected from reality and yet the fan site is writing off a game before they’ve even tipped off. I know I can’t see into the future, but maybe you can (what are tomorrows lottery numbers then?).

Our coach wrote us off against Duke. Multiple times in pressers.

If you've seen my other posts, you'll see where my heart vs my head is at with this as it pertains to the Duke game. Or, you know, my full lifetime of being a fan, growing up in upstate, going to SU for undergrad, or grad school, or still being a fan after moving to NYC. So, please, tell me how to be.

Hope you are getting residuals for these posts of yours.

If we lose by less than double digits, JB may have an all time epic tirade at the presser.

I can't even understand that some people here are trying to debate whether or not it was a punch.

Yeah, but did those officers actually hit Rodney King with those clubs or were they just swinging them for exercise?

And yet, after 40 pages, you're still here leaving a comment. Okay.

The third time he tripped someone and not by the conference.

I have no issues with Buddy being suspended, but let’s stop pretending the conference enforces rules equally because they don’t.
Maybe you have a point.

my larger point is maybe not everyone is out to get your favorite team all the time. The idea that they evil acc is rubbing their hands together in delight because somehow THEY made Buddy punch a dude is weird. Buddy punched someone and it was on national TV. For them to ignore it would be just as unfair in the other direction

We have plenty of time after the season to discuss all these depressing facts. I think a large majority of posters on here are now in the change needs to happen camp. But we know it’s unlikely to happen after this season because JW and the board of trustees largely backs Boeheim. He has so much power and equity up on the Hill. Therefore I fear that most of the off-season will just be shouting into the void. I just hope the staff is very active in the transfer market and we can land one or two key players to give us some hope for next year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom