Buddy suspended for Duke | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy suspended for Duke

Maybe you have a point.

my larger point is maybe not everyone is out to get your favorite team all the time. The idea that they evil acc is rubbing their hands together in delight because somehow THEY made Buddy punch a dude is weird. Buddy punched someone and it was on national TV. For them to ignore it would be just as unfair in the other direction
Again no issues with Buddy being suspended, but there’s already evidence they look the other way in certain instances and have had unfair rulings the other way in the past.

There’s fans on this board that called this years ago.

Okay is right!

ric flair GIF
Yep, amazing and okay.

ric flair wwe GIF

We have plenty of time after the season to discuss all these depressing facts. I think a large majority of posters on here are now in the change needs to happen camp. But we know it’s unlikely to happen after this season because JW and the board of trustees largely backs Boeheim. He has so much power and equity up on the Hill. Therefore most of the off-season will just be shouting into the void. I just hope the staff is very active in the transfer market and we can land one or two key players to give us some hope for next year.

Listen, I assume JB and crew are coming back. I'm not going to hem and haw about that. Is what it is. I'll still have the games turned on.

My point is that we've fallen so far that this even is what drives a 40+ thread and it's conference tourney time.

And, it just doesn't matter. Buddy hit a kid. Got a punishment. The timing is awful, but it is what it is. And we're facing a Duke team that will likely smoke us for a third time.

Here is my takeaway, let's see what it looks like with Joe off ball. Let's see what it looks like when Joe and Cole have more pressure on them. Let's see what Sy can do against real ball pressure.

And for Sid and Jimmy, play hard, have some moments, hope you go out with pride.

Let's see what may give us hope for next year and send the guys leaving out with a little bit of pride.

I mean, of course I largely agree. But we’re fans. You know, fanatics, which implies some level of irrationality. What Buddy did was wrong, no doubt, and he should have gotten a flagrant foul during the game. But back in the day, Syracuse fans would have rallied around Buddy, who’s a great kid and the polar opposite of his cranky dad, and said it was unfair for this suspension to happen in what could possibly be his last game—or at least pointed out that the refs screwed up for not tossing him out of the game when the altercation happened. Punishing him after the fact isn’t in the rule book, which is what Bilas has argued. This has been such a depressing season, I’d just like to see the fanbase rally around our player now and not be so rational about him deserving his punishment. (We see UConn fans defending psycho Hurley’s behavior all the time.) The rule, btw, is that the refs have to issue the flagrant foul during the game. The ACC shouldn’t have gotten involved after the fact, but they bowed to all the coverage it received. Anyhow, how amazing would it be to see us beat Duke, then Buddy returns and we win the ACC title? Sure it’s unlikely, but that would be the most Syracuse move ever and the sports media would lose its collective minds.
I don't see people here not rallying around Buddy, but I do see many people reacting to what they saw with their own eyes and choosing to accept the consequences without twisting themselves into pretzels trying to whitewash the incident.

One last thing:

Buddy does not need this Duke game to define him. His career is set.

Suspension or not, it stinks he can't leave it on the court, yes.

But the kid scored over 1700 points, gave us a fire-breathing dragon of a run last year and made first team all acc this year.

I'm not remembering this. I'm remembering that run where he was shooting it like he was a motherf'n basketball god and no one could stop him.

for me, bottom line:

days of yore no way that would be a suspension.
but now, as of a few years ago, every little thing reviewed and zero tolerance for any extra "non-basketball" stuff (now, consistent enforcement/application of that is another story for another thread), you knew if you were being honest from the moment it happened it was going to be a suspension.
that's it

didn't get to see it live. only caught the replay. it looked intentional imo but wasn't called. officials reviewed something afterwards but what they looked at is a mystery. wasn't imo a major blow but the dude did react immediately painfully. so i guess it hurt. buddy expressed his contrition immediately after the game which should count for something. i was thinking 1st half suspension last night. a full game to me seems excessive . i know buddy's not a dirty player. i feel like this hurt him more inside than the punch to the ribs hurt wilkes. but sometimes we do have to pay for our missteps intentional or not.

Last edited:
What? Using your elbows after securing a rebound isn’t a basketball move?
swinging elbows is an infraction. If you want to call an infraction a "basketball move" then that's ok. That is not a comment on whether people do it or whether the infraction is called.

face guarding is "a basketball move"
hand checking is "a basketball move"
flopping is a "basketball move"

all illegal (subject to ref's opinion)

Last edited:
One last thing:

Buddy does not need this Duke game to define him. His career is set.

Suspension or not, it stinks he can't leave it on the court, yes.

But the kid scored over 1700 points, gave us a fire-breathing dragon of a run last year and made first team all acc this year.

I'm not remembering this. I'm remembering that run where he was shooting it like he was a motherf'n basketball god and no one could stop him.
It’s a Shakespearean/Faustian ending for the Boeheim family. Doesn’t negate the journey.

Yeah, like it woulda been ruined had Buddy been allowed to play - just like the last 2 games vs/ Duke when he did.
This is syracuse basketball, we always come out of no where in these moments. Come on man really!

The perfect ending today would be to beat Duke and then have Buddy emerge from the tunnel and leg sweep K.

The perfect ending today would be to beat Duke and then have Buddy emerge from the tunnel and leg sweep K.

Buddy: "But Sensei... I can beat this guy!"

JB: "I don't want him beaten, Mr. Boeheim. Do you have a problem with that?"

so if you swing your arm with a closed fist meaning to actually hit him with like the inside of of your wrist and accidentally hit him with the fist does that make it a punch . because if he hits him with his fist on the side of the arm and not in the breadbasket no way he gets tossed out for that.

imagine if hockey players got called out for all the times they haul off and hit people like this and in college hockey in many leagues they have the same no fighting/punching rules and it happens 2-300 times a game..

Our coach wrote us off against Duke. Multiple times in pressers.

If you've seen my other posts, you'll see where my heart vs my head is at with this as it pertains to the Duke game. Or, you know, my full lifetime of being a fan, growing up in upstate, going to SU for undergrad, or grad school, or still being a fan after moving to NYC. So, please, tell me how to be.

Hope you are getting residuals for these posts of yours.
Yup, my mind is bought, you figured it out! No one could possibly disagree with you unless they’re being paid by JB and co.

JB interviewed by Matt Park prior to the Duke game, (hopefully it will be replayed: I would think so), said that Buddy "did something wrong...in the heat of the moment. If they'd made the call then it would have bene a flagrant 2 everybody says...we were up 18 and would have won and he would be playing today. they gave the maximum punishment to a kid who didn't deserve it [the maximum]"

You’re not serious right? Coaches always apologize to others for players egregious behavior.
“Always” is a pretty strong word, you’re telling me there are no examples of coaches defending their players and not apologizing for their actions? Boy, that is some utopia you live in.

JB interviewed by Matt Park prior to the Duke game, (hopefully it will be replayed: I would think so), said that Buddy "did something wrong...in the heat of the moment. If they'd made the call then it would have bene a flagrant 2 everybody says...we were up 18 and would have won and he would be playing today. they gave the maximum punishment to a kid who didn't deserve it [the maximum]"

Man - I'm still mad about Kristof Ongeneat getting ejected against Georgetown for the elbow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom