Class of 2019 - C Jesse Edwards (NL/IMG) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Jesse Edwards (NL/IMG) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to fill a big need is groveling ?

Meant more about the Iona comment than the groveling. Kid could be good as a junior but I don’t see how Syracuse could be in a position of need this dire, this late.

Meant more about the Iona comment than the groveling. Kid could be good as a junior but I don’t see how Syracuse could be in a position of need this dire, this late.
You don’t know anything about this kid.

Just watched the scrimmage. Edwards is a muuuuch smoother athlete than any 5 on our roster.

Not much of a shot blocker, but he battled that 7-3 Canadian kid pretty well.

Good ball handler / hands for his size. Looks comfortable with his back to the basket, not really a threat facing the basket.

Kinda reminds me of a young Rak. He would be undersized if pressed into action immediately .

Like his upside, not sure he can help next year unless he gains 15lbs over summer.

Smits is a better option for immediate help, but I’m not sure we’re a player for him.

I like Edwards though.

why aren't we getting the 7'3" kid? I assume he weighs 190

we won't need a center in another year??
[I hope not.]
Sorry, i thought you were asking about who we're after for 2019.
Brings up an interesting point though. How hard is it to recruit for 2020+? Who's going to want to come in, not knowing who the coach will be for the full four years?

and a kid whose only offers are from acc schools is "iona" level
I thought the announcers in the scrimmage said he was being offered by Ivies and DIIs.

I thought the announcers in the scrimmage said he was being offered by Ivies and DIIs.
He also was recently offered by GT but hey he is only Iona level talent:confused:

Lets hope he can play as we are desperate for a 5. My point is that for whatever reason, whatever excuse, we cant recruit centers. Last year some on this board actually said they were ok with losing the kid to the Bonnies because it cleared the way to landing a top 5 this year. Well here we are again having struck out on every 5 on our board left hoping that we can land an unrated kid from the Netherlands who has VISITED GT ( no confirmation of an offer).
Excuse me for being critical of the staff but they are batting Zero the last two years which is inexcusable for SU.

I will be happy to be proven wrong, but I watch the (granted it’s very limited) videos of Jesse at IMG and feel like if he’s on the team, we’ll wish we could have his scholarship back next year. Outside of what might be decent shooting touch (and who knows because we have no stats to back it up), I just don’t see a translatable skill set. I’d rather bring in a grad transfer and or simply save the scholarship for next year’s class

I will be happy to be proven wrong, but I watch the (granted it’s very limited) videos of Jesse at IMG and feel like if he’s on the team, we’ll wish we could have his scholarship back next year. Outside of what might be decent shooting touch (and who knows because we have no stats to back it up), I just don’t see a translatable skill set. I’d rather bring in a grad transfer and or simply save the scholarship for next year’s class

He may or may not be able to contribute here, I leave the evaluation of the high school talent to you guys; but since we got all of our scholarships back, when have we had to turn anyone we truly wanted away because we didn't have an available scholarship??

He may or may not be able to contribute here, I leave the evaluation of the high school talent to you guys; but since we got all of our scholarships back, when have we had to turn anyone we truly wanted away because we didn't have an available scholarship??
Good point. Any guess as to why we cant land a center. We have one center on the team for next year who barely played and doesn't seem to be getting any better from tendonitis. You would think that one of our targeted bigs would have jumped all over the opportunity. JB has either targeted the wrong kids or he needs to take a hard look at his staff and strategy. Based on our offers for next year it doesn't look much better.

Good point. Any guess as to why we cant land a center. We have one center on the team for next year who barely played and doesn't seem to be getting any better from tendonitis. You would think that one of our targeted bigs would have jumped all over the opportunity. JB has either targeted the wrong kids or he needs to take a hard look at his staff and strategy. Based on our offers for next year it doesn't look much better.

Boeheim is going to retire in a few years. there's no more hard looks at anything. it is what it is.

Lets hope he can play as we are desperate for a 5. My point is that for whatever reason, whatever excuse, we cant recruit centers. Last year some on this board actually said they were ok with losing the kid to the Bonnies because it cleared the way to landing a top 5 this year. Well here we are again having struck out on every 5 on our board left hoping that we can land an unrated kid from the Netherlands who has VISITED GT ( no confirmation of an offer).
Excuse me for being critical of the staff but they are batting Zero the last two years which is inexcusable for SU.
Well to be fair, I’m pretty sure there was confirmation of the GT offer a couple pages ago or so.

There is confirmation. And he’s only been playing in the states since January.

There is confirmation. And he’s only been playing in the states since January.
My bad. I didn't see an offer. Only a visit.

You don’t know anything about this kid.

I watched the film. I would be absolutely shocked if this kid was able to play 15+ mpg either next year or the following year, given we stick with the zone. Which is a given.

Would be happy to be proven wrong.

It’s really not all that desperate ...yet

We are competing against one of the lowest level ACC schools for a recruit at a high-need position. Call me crazy, but I’ll call it a bit desperate.

GT didnt offer until his visit. The fact that they offered is very encouraging
I hope to be eating crow next winter stuffed with spinach and some of Netherlands best Gouda cheese with a side of Patat.

I watched the film. I would be absolutely shocked if this kid was able to play 15+ mpg either next year or the following year, given we stick with the zone. Which is a given.

Would be happy to be proven wrong.

I think there are two different factors being intertwined here:
  1. Is Edwards a good prospect who can play at the ACC level, who has value as a long term strategic asset?
  2. Can / will Edwards contribute as a high level as a freshman?

I get that there is a need next year, but question 2 shouldn't invalidate question 1. Bigs often need a year or two to acclimate to the college game.

Ultimately, I think we're going to ride or die with Sidibe / Marek. Really need Sidibe to bounce back, and actually be able to work on his game this offseason, instead of just recovering from surgery.

Or land a grad transfer who can contribute immediately.

I think there are two different factors being intertwined here:
  1. Is Edwards a good prospect who can play at the ACC level, who has value as a long term strategic asset?
  2. Can / will Edwards contribute as a high level as a freshman?

I get that there is a need next year, but question 2 shouldn't invalidate question 1. Bigs often need a year or two to acclimate to the college game.

Ultimately, I think we're going to ride or die with Sidibe / Marek. Really need Sidibe to bounce back, and actually be able to work on his game this offseason, instead of just recovering from surgery.

Or land a grad transfer who can contribute immediately.

I tend to be an optimistic fan but even I am concerned about the possibility of relying on Sidibe and Marek at the 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom