Class of 2015 - C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana

Anyone really believe that an open scholarship is even a factor in signing TB? I don't believe that is a factor at all!
I think the only thing that keeps him from wearing Orange is a surprise move by the NCAA.

I know there will be a schollie for TB (unless the NCAAholes get involved) but can he sign with us if there isn't one officially there at the moment?

I know there will be a schollie for TB (unless the NCAAholes get involved) but can he sign with us if there isn't one officially there at the moment?
Absolutely. Happens in football all the time.

NOTE: This is an older article...from November 2014.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...s_bryant_syracuse_basketball_top_recruit.html

Whenever I get nervous that Bryant may not commit to SU, I go back & read this gem of an article from November. IMO, this is about as good as it gets without the player giving an "official" commitment, having his mother come out and say some of the following like she did (passages from article in bullets & bolded, my commentary in italics):

- Bryant's mother, Linda, said on Monday night that Syracuse should feel pretty good about its prospects with the Class of 2015 center.

- "Really it's down to two," Linda Bryant said. "Syracuse and Indiana. And it might be down to one soon. Thomas has always told me that Syracuse was the leader."

Seems pretty solid, right from kid's mother that Syracuse was the leader...

She then goes on to explain how Indiana's recent involvement in failed drug tests / general program "turmoil" is a negative for them, especially since they were not honest about it (which, IMO, is a big point, since Syracuse also has some recent program "turmoil", yet, by all indications JB has been open & honest with all recruits & targets)

- Bryant doesn't have a Kentucky offer, but even if one eventually comes, Linda Bryant said she doesn't see it changing the recruiting equation.

- "You have to give kudos to the man (Calipari) for being able to recruit like that," Linda said. "But I don't think that's the right place for my son. He's a young man who is still learning the game. He needs to be focused on that, not worrying which platoon he is on."

Wow, and there's the money-shot haha (Francis, I know you LOVE using this quote as backup as to how he ain't going to Kentucky & I think you're right to do so)...openly ripping on Kentucky's platoon system...can't be good news for Kentucky's chances. Realistically, how would/could a mother go from saying something like that about a program then just half a year later having her son commit there? I just don't see that happening.

-
"It's great that we hear from Coach Hopkins," Linda Bryant said. "But I told Coach Boeheim, my son needs to hear from you."

Maybe the only "negative" thing Linda Bryant says about Syracuse, and I take it as a positive...her telling Syracuse how best to recruit her son (seemingly because she really wants him to go to Syracuse).

- "His godmother lives in Syracuse, is a big Syracuse fan," Linda Bryant said. "I told her you're going to hear about (Kentucky) but don't worry. He was just going to see a basketball game."

Two things stand out here:

1.) Bryant has a close family friend/relative in Syracuse that would obviously make Linda Bryant feel comfortable about sending her son there to school...also, fact that this person is a "big Syracuse fan" is fantastic.

2.) That last quote..."you're going to hear about (Kentucky) but don't worry. He was just going to see a basketball game." Unreal.

I mean, how much more does one need to hear to love our chances? This article was just the best one can get from an uncommitted prospect. And from the single best source, besides the player of course - his mother. Honestly, it may even be THE single best source...considering my mother may still have more influence on my decisions in life...and I'm 33 years old!! Haha!

(Also, note that our NCAA stuff was ongoing at time of this article as well, so I really don't think too much has changed in that regard. Hopefully JB & staff has been open & honest with the Bryants.)

Last edited:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...s_bryant_syracuse_basketball_top_recruit.html

Whenever I get nervous that Bryant may not commit to SU, I go back & read this gem of an article from November. IMO, this is about as good as it gets without the player giving an "official" commitment, having his mother come out and say some of the following like she did (passages from article in bullets & bolded, my commentary in italics):

- Bryant's mother, Linda, said on Monday night that Syracuse should feel pretty good about its prospects with the Class of 2015 center.

- "Really it's down to two," Linda Bryant said. "Syracuse and Indiana. And it might be down to one soon. Thomas has always told me that Syracuse was the leader."

She then goes on to explain how Indiana's recent involvement in failed drug tests / general program "turmoil" is a negative for them, especially since they were not honest about it (which, IMO, is a big point, since Syracuse also has some recent program "turmoil", yet, by all indications JB has been open & honest with all recruits & targets)

- Bryant doesn't have a Kentucky offer, but even if one eventually comes, Linda Bryant said she doesn't see it changing the recruiting equation.

- "You have to give kudos to the man (Calipari) for being able to recruit like that," Linda said. "But I don't think that's the right place for my son. He's a young man who is still learning the game. He needs to be focused on that, not worrying which platoon he is on."

Wow, and there's the money-shot haha (Francis, I know you LOVE using this quote as backup as to how he ain't going to Kentucky & I think you're right to do so)...openly ripping on Kentucky's platoon system...can't be good news for Kentucky's chances. Realistically, how would/could a mother go from saying something like that about a program then just half a year later having her son commit there? I just don't see that happening.

-
"It's great that we hear from Coach Hopkins," Linda Bryant said. "But I told Coach Boeheim, my son needs to hear from you."

Maybe the only "negative" thing Linda Bryant says about Syracuse, and I take it as a positive...her telling Syracuse how best to recruit her son (seemingly because she really wants him to go to Syracuse).

- "His godmother lives in Syracuse, is a big Syracuse fan," Linda Bryant said. "I told her you're going to hear about (Kentucky) but don't worry. He was just going to see a basketball game."

1.) Bryant has a close family friend/relative in Syracuse that would obviously make Linda Bryant feel comfortable about sending her son there to school...also, fact that this person is a "big Syracuse fan" is fantastic.

2.) That last quote..."you're going to hear about (Kentucky) but don't worry. He was just going to see a basketball game." Unreal.

I mean, how much more does one need to hear to love our chances? This article was just the best one can get from an uncommitted prospect. And from the single best source, besides the player of course - his mother. Honestly, it may even be THE single best source...considering my mother may still have more influence on my decisions in life...and I'm 33 years old!! Haha!

(Also, note that our NCAA stuff was ongoing at time of this article as well, so I really don't think too much has changed in that regard. Hopefully JB & staff has been open & honest with the Bryants.)
heavy-breathing-cat.jpg

-

Another thing that he said not too long ago that I find interesting was him saying that he has no interest in being on the bench. Well you gotta figure a few bigs like Dakari, Lyles, and Lee will return back to UK. They already have Labisierre committed, and if they land one of their other big man targets then I can't see how he would still find that situation attractive. At SU he would obviously be an instant starter at the 5. I can't really see other options like IU and Mizzou winning out over us as well.

Another thing that he said not too long ago that I find interesting was him saying that he has no interest in being on the bench. Well you gotta figure a few bigs like Dakari, Lyles, and Lee will return back to UK. They already have Labisierre committed, and if they land one of their other big man targets then I can't see how he would still find that situation attractive. At SU he would obviously be an instant starter at the 5. I can't really see other options like IU and Mizzou winning out over us as well.

Agree, except for one thing - I have faith that DaJuan Coleman will return in a big way next season & will remind people why he was selected as a McDonald's AA. So, I don't think Bryant will be an instant starter at the 5 next season...but he will get minutes if he's good enough.

Henny & Coke said:
Agree, except for one thing - I have faith that DaJuan Coleman will return in a big way next season & will remind people why he was selected as a McDonald's AA. So, I don't think Bryant will be an instant starter at the 5 next season...but he will get minutes if he's good enough.

I'm sure they've already promised Bryant the starting job.

Just like everybody else I'm rooting hard for DC2 to come back strong and reach the potential that we know he has in him. With that said, his injury is no joke and one minor setback could end up being a career ender for him. Plus after not playing for nearly two seasons I doubt the staff would want to rush him back into the rotation as a starter right away. I think he'll have a limited role coming off the bench just to get the rust and full game conditioning in order. As the games goes by and he stays healthy with no setbacks then his playing time will increase. I'll be shocked if TB isn't the starter, not just because of his talents and the fact that I'm sure it's a key part in the staffs recruiting pitch for him, but it would be the most safe and logical choice to start the season especially with the uncertainty of DC2's health and how his knees will respond in physical game action.

I'm pulling for the kid, but this is blind faith because he wears Orange; not based on anything tangible, or historical. Simply making it through an entire season healthy, and contributing as a backup is far more pragmatic IMO.

I also think DC2 can come back and contribute even at a pretty high level. Lets be honest though he has yet to play a full season without knee injuries. Its a concern for him and the staff, so we are likely to want to limit his minutes either way. Bryant will start when he gets here next year IMO no knock on DC2 just makes sense when you cannot be sure he will be available all season so why risk having to shake up the line up latter on.

I think Bryant can be a bigger factor on the defensive end of the floor. He has a 7'5" wingspan.

And he is already a pretty big body so he's not going to be pushed around too much physically. Diange the same in that respect neither is going to be so lacking in bulk or strength physically that they cannot compete right out of the gate down low.

And he is already a pretty big body so he's not going to be pushed around too much physically. Diange the same in that respect neither is going to be so lacking in bulk or strength physically that they cannot compete right out of the gate down low.

I've seen Diagne up close. Dude is huge...legs like tree trunks. He will not get pushed around. He also looks about 35 and plays with maturity too.

Should all go to plan and we get TB and say McCollough returns... eek - We're Big

PG - Kaleb /MG
SG - TC
SF - MG/MR/TR
PF - CM/TR/DC/MD
C- TB/DC

I've seen Diagne up close. Dude is huge...legs like tree trunks. He will not get pushed around. He also looks about 35 and plays with maturity too.

Nice! I've only seen the vids of him but he looks like a guy who takes up more space than he should for his height and that's meant in a good way. Kind of like how Rak is 6-9 but always looks like the biggest DUDE on the court even when playing against 7'ers yet he is in great shape.

Should all go to plan and we get TB and say McCollough returns... eek - We're Big

PG - Kaleb /MG
SG - TC
SF - MG/MR/TR
PF - CM/TR/DC/MD
C- TB/DC

Indeed!

If we are cleared of a ban next season I fully expect Bryant to be here.
JB has said Chris will be back as he needs to get his knee right before going to the NBA.
My concern is more if MikeG will be back. We don't really have another legit small forward on the roster next season without him IMO and it may push Malichi to the 3 more than would be ideal.

Ideally I'd like to see this:
Kaleb - Frank
Trev - Mal
Mike - Mal
Chris - TylerR
Tomas - DC2/ Moose

2 or 3 years ago, before we recruited him, he went up against Roberson in an NJ tourney I went to. I have to admit, I couldn't believe his physicality in the 1st two frames (even though I thought Tyler was getting too many no calls against him in the paint). Eventually, Roberson started going off, got the better of Diagne and RC went on to win from behind. But man, he was really tough in the low post and his game has since progressed a ton. We're getting a very strong F/C and I think he's going to come in and play defense, get some high percentage shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom