Class of 2015 - C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana

2 or 3 years ago, before we recruited him, he went up against Roberson in an NJ tourney I went to. I have to admit, I couldn't believe his physicality in the 1st two frames (even though I thought Tyler was getting too many no calls against him in the paint). Eventually, Roberson started going off, got the better of Diagne and RC went on to win from behind. But man, he was really tough in the low post and his game has since progressed a ton. We're getting a very strong F/C and I think he's going to come in and play defense, get some high percentage shots.

Those practices where he and DC bang bodies will be classic. Better get the ice bags ready!

Anybody that's expecting him to be Rak right away next season will be disappointed, but I feel he could give us the rim protection that's on par with the Brazilian big man whose name shall not be named.

I didn't realize TB was such a dominant shot-blocking presence. That would really help the zone.

Indeed!

If we are cleared of a ban next season I fully expect Bryant to be here.
JB has said Chris will be back as he needs to get his knee right before going to the NBA.
My concern is more if MikeG will be back. We don't really have another legit small forward on the roster next season without him IMO and it may push Malichi to the 3 more than would be ideal.

Ideally I'd like to see this:
Kaleb - Frank
Trev - Mal
Mike - Mal
Chris - TylerR
Tomas - DC2/ Moose

What about Lydon? Also, maybe BJ steps it up in the offseason and gets minutes at the 3.

I didn't realize TB was such a dominant shot-blocking presence. That would really help the zone.
It's not even just the number of blocks but he alters and changes so many shots in the paint. Right now he's about 225. If we can get him to add another 15lbs of muscle then look out. Add in Diagne and a hopeful healthy DC2 then our interior will be set. Maybe Chino can teach them how to take charges in the paint.;)

It's not even just the number of blocks but he alters and changes so many shots in the paint. Right now he's about 225. If we can get him to add another 15lbs of muscle then look out. Add in Diagne and a hopeful healthy DC2 then our interior will be set. Maybe Chino can teach them how to take charges in the paint.;)
It would be great if first we get his commit unless I missed another memo.

Francis03 said:
Thats good chit main. I didnt know he was that much of a defensive presence down low. I love shot blockers , and the really good ones get in your head as a opposing player .

Huh? My birthday is in June.
I hope its a great one for you! June is a good month for a birthday.Celebrate with a cook out .Easy on the dogs and burgers . Hoffman dogs taste like northers but if you read the fat content and calories it spoils the occasion. Not available in CA to my knowledge.

What about Lydon? Also, maybe BJ steps it up in the offseason and gets minutes at the 3.

Lydon is more of a stretch 4 than a SF although because he can shoot he could play with another PF without killing the spacing. He will be here not sure how much he plays as a freshman but I really like him long term.

BJ is a SF for sure.

Crap, I'm embarrassed to say I forgot about that. I hope he has many more, as he continues to battle cancer. Happy Birthday to the Godfather of Heavy Metal!

You must sacrifice 100 bats and flog yourself 500 times with a Georgetown towel as penance. ;)

I didn't realize Tony was still fighting the cancer. Sucks. He is a legend.

Should all go to plan and we get TB and say McCollough returns... eek - We're Big

PG - Kaleb /MG
SG - TC
SF - MG/MR/TR
PF - CM/TR/DC/MD
C- TB/DC
My read of the MR vids I've seen - coupled with out system - suggests he probably slots at the 2 / a guard slot. I neither see him as a 3 in the zone nor a 3 on offense. Naturally I defer to Francis and others, but dem's my dos centavos.

My read of the MR vids I've seen - coupled with out system - suggests he probably slots at the 2 / a guard slot. I neither see him as a 3 in the zone nor a 3 on offense. Naturally I defer to Francis and others, but dem's my dos centavos.

I agree with this. My concern is defense, where Malachi tends to struggle. Will he be able to play adequately enough on that end to keep him and his silky smooth shooting stroke in the game?

Really like the bigs for next year assuming Bryant signs with us.
Bryant, Coleman, Diange, Mccullough, chino, lydon and Roberson
Total opposite of this year, plus our guard play for next year is very experienced. I like our mixture of experience and youth.

I think Ronnie will get a bigger slice of the guard minute pie than he did this season so that will cut down on minutes for both Mali and Frank. Unless of course they can come in and master the defense to the level that Patterson plays at.

I think Ronnie will get a bigger slice of the guard minute pie than he did this season so that will cut down on minutes for both Mali and Frank. Unless of course they can come in and master the defense to the level that Patterson plays at.

I agree with this too. Experience on D could be the differentiator for backup guard minutes. We will have a new starting C (Coleman or Bryant or Diagne) so we'll need experienced guards to help cutoff penetration and rotate properly. Hopefully KJ continues to progress in this area, but I can see this as an issue for MR and FH coming in as rooks. Nothing gets the Jimmy hook faster than poor D.

I think some of us need to take a very critical look at the roster this year and ask ourselves why we aren't a really good team when we have one of the best post players in the nation and one of the best multifaceted wing players in the nation. The next question would be if the team is so short handed why do some players play so little? These guys have had every opportunity to earn major league minutes this year if they could just not be a liability on the court and they have not been able to do so. They only play because there are no other options. I think its a bit unrealistic to expect the staff will want to spend another season giving them these same opportunities over new players who have yet to prove they cannot do it. Its possible they could drastically improve over the off season (but they are not freshman) and work their way into the rotation but IF THEY ARE BACK they will have a much shorter leash than last season and many fewer chances to earn the minutes than they did this season. These are the unfortunate facts of college basketball life sometimes. I think we all get excited about recruits and as SU fans its hard not to view them with the idea of their best possible upside but and outlier game here and there that is a very small minority of the actual results is not a true representation of said player. Its hard to let go, I get it but players roll through the program with a higher and higher rate of turnover and as we recruit at a consistently higher level guys that do not show actual production by the end of their sophomore seasons are usually not going to be big parts of the team going forward unless its as practice fodder.

I think he is the last guard off the bench next year.

Sure will be fun seeing who of that large group is able to exert themselves and lead what could be a great team. Could be a fun year for JB et al to coach.
Indeed!

If we are cleared of a ban next season I fully expect Bryant to be here.
JB has said Chris will be back as he needs to get his knee right before going to the NBA.
My concern is more if MikeG will be back. We don't really have another legit small forward on the roster next season without him IMO and it may push Malichi to the 3 more than would be ideal.

Ideally I'd like to see this:
Kaleb - Frank
Trev - Mal
Mike - Mal
Chris - TylerR
Tomas - DC2/ Moose

I think some of us need to take a very critical look at the roster this year and ask ourselves why we aren't a really good team when we have one of the best post players in the nation and one of the best multifaceted wing players in the nation. The next question would be if the team is so short handed why do some players play so little? These guys have had every opportunity to earn major league minutes this year if they could just not be a liability on the court and they have not been able to do so. They only play because there are no other options. I think its a bit unrealistic to expect the staff will want to spend another season giving them these same opportunities over new players who have yet to prove they cannot do it. Its possible they could drastically improve over the off season (but they are not freshman) and work their way into the rotation but IF THEY ARE BACK they will have a much shorter leash than last season and many fewer chances to earn the minutes than they did this season. These are the unfortunate facts of college basketball life sometimes. I think we all get excited about recruits and as SU fans its hard not to view them with the idea of their best possible upside but and outlier game here and there that is a very small minority of the actual results is not a true representation of said player. Its hard to let go, I get it but players roll through the program with a higher and higher rate of turnover and as we recruit at a consistently higher level guys that do not show actual production by the end of their sophomore seasons are usually not going to be big parts of the team going forward unless its as practice fodder.

At the end of every season JB meets with each returning player and candidly discusses his expectations for the upcoming season and what the players opportunities and obligations will be. As we all know, JB cannot be anything but direct and candid. Sometimes he tells a player to return and hone their game and develop their physical abilities. Advice not always taken. Years ago, as I recall, JB was quoted in the PS regarding what he told a player who had transferred. He said he told the player he could stay but he wouldn't play very much. The kid just didn't have it (my words). The player transferred so he could play. Players who grow up being the best player on their team, the best player in their league, the best player in their region, recruited at high Div I level by SU and other major D I programs, want and expect to play. The endless hours of practice and conditioning is underwritten by an intense drive to play - PT. Some will transfer so they can get court time even if for just one season. After this season each returning player will have that same direct candid conversation and I expect that one or more players will choose an opportunity for PT, elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom