Class of 2023 - C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23) | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23)

There you are playing your games again blowing a player up unrealisitically so others will look like they are trashing him by being more realisitic. I've caught you doing that before. Don't you have anything better to do?
Go with the youth movement and aim to '24. If he's so weak that he can't even get on the court, why did he get recruited?

CC doesnt care about winning, he just wants to rebuild every year for the next year
Look, I can't say that I know a lot about Patterson. What I do know is they have Carey who is a project guy because of his injuries, they have Hima who is a development guy. So you're telling me they went out and got another project guy. I thought WP was much more of a legitimate talent that needs playing time to get up to speed. Other teams play freshmen, it's not unheard of.

IMO. Probably more athletic. Patterson isn't some Euro or African guy that hasn't played much basketball against real competition. If Red goes with him, I'm onboard.
James Harden Reaction GIF by NBA

Now, granted, I'm fairly risk adverse these days. But, I think, I might balk at hiring you to run even a neighborhood lemonade stand.
If our coaching staff has 3 centers on the roster that are hope and prayers that they could rise to the ACC level, then I wouldn't trust them to mow the lawn. This is Syracuse basketball, no at least fairly high level recruit wanted that spot, with the only guys in his way being projects? That's why I assumed Patterson is better than advertised, at least I hope he is.

Just start Patterson and have Hima, Carey and Brown play the 5 when necessary. He's at least as good as Clingan.
There is so much wrong with this statement. Like, where do you come up with this word salad made of different type of poo?

I have to ask.

Why would Patterson start over Hima and Carey?

Why would Brown ever be at the 5?

What had Patterson done or what has Clingan not done for you to put Patterson ahead of him?

Look, I can't say that I know a lot about Patterson. What I do know is they have Carey who is a project guy because of his injuries, they have Hima who is a development guy. So you're telling me they went out and got another project guy. I thought WP was much more of a legitimate talent that needs playing time to get up to speed. Other teams play freshmen, it's not unheard of.
Other teams play freshman who are great prospects, even some too 100 guys don’t play a lot their freshman year. Some guys make it through the cracks, but usually not at center. I hope he does great but if we only get one or two solid years from him I’d be happy.

There is so much wrong with this statement. Like, where do you come up with this word salad made of different type of poo?

I have to ask.

Why would Patterson start over Hima and Carey?

Why would Brown ever be at the 5?

What had Patterson done or what has Clingan not done for you to put Patterson ahead of him?

UMass fans are weird.

Other teams play freshman who are great prospects, even some too 100 guys don’t play a lot their freshman year. Some guys make it through the cracks, but usually not at center. I hope he does great but if we only get one or two solid years from him I’d be happy.
The program is in a very tenuous position and you want to yank my chain? We're looking at the bottom of the ACC.

You know how to stay at the bottom? Starting a no star project at center.
Carey wasn't ranked either and probably will be more of a 4/5 than a true 5. Hima was a stop gap pick up. Patterson looks like he could be the center of the future, reminds of Jesse when he came in. Since next season looks like a wash with the not retaining Edwards, why not. It seems unbelievable that you have guys like Filipowski, Zion, Clingan and others who can compete at the highest level of college basketball and then Syracuse, which is a major program, ends up with guys who need 3 years to get going.

There are just so many stud 6'10" to 7' centers in any given freshman recruiting class and they are typically 5* recruits that are long shot recruits. The alternative that SU has gone to is recruit young developmental bigs that they can develop. I see Patterson in that category. He will be really good but I'm guessing that the staff doesn't see him as a guy that can play significant minutes next year. That leaves Hima but realistically he is a back up that is very foul prone and provides limited offense. Hence, the staff is going out and getting a player that can give us starter minutes and be an upgrade over what we have now. Makes a lot of sense. I am OK with the kid from West Texas and would love a couple of the more recent 4 to 5* type centers who come from power 5 teams that we've reached out to.

BRING BACK CHAZ OWENS AND OFFER HIM A STARTING SPOT AND 500K!!!
So you're putting Patterson in Chaz's category? Let me here your plan DW. You want the guy from North Texas? Meh.

There are just so many stud 6'10" to 7' centers in any given freshman recruiting class and they are typically 5* recruits that are long shot recruits. The alternative that SU has gone to is recruit young developmental bigs that they can develop. I see Patterson in that category. He will be really good but I'm guessing that the staff doesn't see him as a guy that can play significant minutes next year. That leaves Hima but realistically he is a back up that is very foul prone and provides limited offense. Hence, the staff is going out and getting a player that can give us starter minutes and be an upgrade over what we have now. Makes a lot of sense. I am OK with the kid from West Texas and would love a couple of the more recent 4 to 5* type centers who come from power 5 teams that we've reached out to.
Next years team has 7 sophomores. You would think that team will be much stronger in '24 and '25. I trust that the coaches know what they're seeing in a guy like Patterson, why not try to accelerate his development. 15 minutes a game or so with Hima, Carey and Brown for the rest of the time. I say Brown because he could play 5 against teams with no big man.

It will be nice that we don’t limit ourselves to one body type of center because of the zone, anymore.

We had a stretch of recruiting guys like Rick Jackson, Fab Melo, Rakeem Christmas, and DaJaun Coleman - all stud recruits, and none of the 7’2 string bean variety. Should be noted we also had the lesser recruited Baye Keita, who played a big role in that era too.

It’s one thing to mix in a “project”, but you can’t have all your center recruits being projects. I’ll sign up for a physical banger with good hands, who finishes well around the rim, in a heartbeat - the type of guy we haven’t recruited in a decade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom