Clemson Attendance Thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson Attendance Thread

You beat this drum every day. God forbid anyone question the fans desire to come

What’s that say to the people that bought tickets? Also, you can’t keep banging the marketing drum and then complain you get too many emails.

The pricing is too high and people don’t care enough to spend it. That’s the issue.
Also I replied to the wrong thread here… meant to reply to the “give free tickets” post

You beat this drum every day. God forbid anyone question the fans desire to come

What’s that say to the people that bought tickets? Also, you can’t keep banging the marketing drum and then complain you get too many emails.

The pricing is too high and people don’t care enough to spend it. That’s the issue.
Fans aren’t the ones paid to get more people in the seats. Its a product that needs to be marketed.

Actually reading that ticket prices are affecting the attendance for Saturday in this thread. What a poor excuse for a supportive community we are. I'm sorry but this town sucks.

I think his population argument is of course, wrong but that doesn't mean that the 400K living in Onondaga today have the same average disposable income that the 400K had in 80s when companies like carrier were running the show. I do think that if Syracuse was never bad at football then the team would be in the same place that basketball was 2 years ago - still having big crowds despite down years in the economy. That being said, Clemson not being a top 10 team hurts, a terrible home slate hurts for casual season tickets, bad economy hurts and (because it got my wife and her family recently) Covid having a bit of resurgence is a really awful combination of events to happen right as the team is seemingly capable of competing when at full strength.
The economy locally is better here than it's been in 20 years and population actually INCREASED the last decade.

Choking down the stretch last year has hurt any juice this town had about football. The negative nellies that live here are always going to find an excuse not to come. Just read twitter.

Any Gen Z'er and 75% of younger Millennials with any disposable income have seen very little Syracuse football success.

The NFL is a league of it's own and the Bills are really good.
Bills are really good, and they’re also incredible at marketing.

We’ll never replicate that, but hype doesn’t just come out of thin air the first time Josh Allen turned a broken play into a 40 yard td run.

The economy locally is better here than it's been in 20 years and population actually INCREASED the last decade.

Choking down the stretch last year has hurt any juice this town had about football. The negative nellies that live here are always going to find an excuse not to come. Just read twitter.

Any Gen Z'er and 75% of younger Millennials with any disposable income have seen very little Syracuse football success.
If you say so. Median income is inline or lower (when accounting for inflation, and I’m using 2021 numbers as the census shows, so it’s probably worse) than it was in 2003. Not that those numbers are the end all be all but with rent, housing, food, gas etc. all up considerably, plus tons of student loans there likely was more disposable income in 2003 then there is today.

Regardless though, you’re right, garbage on field product hurts but when there is success you have to look beyond that to understand why the extra 7-8K fans aren’t showing up

Its not the main factor. This same community will drop $200 for a bills ticket when asked to.
The NFL is an event.
Just went on TicketMaster and looked at seats for sale in my row. I paid $125 for my season ticket and they are selling the seat next to me for $80 right now. In what world is that a sane pricing model?
That's why I bought season tickets in 2019 when I came up for the game. The plan paid for the ticket because I'd have spent more on the secondary market.

Doesn’t a lot of the blame here have to go on the Alumni? Hundreds of thousands of alums within a 5 hour drive of the Dome and its Homecoming weekend?

I think we have to give up on the community, the support just isn’t there. Alumni don’t have to show out for all home games, but a 4-0 team playing their biggest home opponent on Homecoming weekend and the crowd is looking like that? Gross.

If you say so. Median income is inline or lower (when accounting for inflation, and I’m using 2021 numbers as the census shows, so it’s probably worse) than it was in 2003. Not that those numbers are the end all be all but with rent, housing, food, gas etc. all up considerably, plus tons of student loans there likely was more disposable income in 2003 then there is today.

Regardless though, you’re right, garbage on field product hurts but when there is success you have to look beyond that to understand why the extra 7-8K fans aren’t showing up
2003 was when I moved here. Downtown had nothing and we the area was hemorrhaging people. The turn around since I graduated that will continue should be a success story locals celebrate, but for some reason the legacy population is only happy here if we they are negative.

The biggest discussion I see about the 4-0 start is people saying we are going to choke down the stretch just like we did last year. There's nothing the team can do to fix that besides win.

Doesn’t a lot of the blame here have to go on the Alumni? Hundreds of thousands of alums within a 5 hour drive of the Dome and its Homecoming weekend?

I think we have to give up on the community, the support just isn’t there. Alumni don’t have to show out for all home games, but a 4-0 team playing their biggest home opponent on Homecoming weekend and the crowd is looking like that? Gross.
I don't think the Pittsburgh game helps here. A lot of NYC alumni I am close with chose that game over this one.

Bills are really good, and they’re also incredible at marketing.

We’ll never replicate that, but hype doesn’t just come out of thin air the first time Josh Allen turned a broken play into a 40 yard td run.

It's the NFL, every team has a ton of cash and resource and the shield markets itself.

What happens on Saturdays is a different sport with a somewhat different demographic. Thankfully too.

I know there are alums on this board who come up for a game or two a year and I think that's commendable as it takes dedication to do a 4-5 hour trip 6-7 time each fall. On the other hand there's plenty of other alums who b&tch about locals not attending who haven't been back to the Dome in decades, those people deserve blame.

2003 was when I moved here. Downtown had nothing and we the area was hemorrhaging people. The turn around since I graduated that will continue should be a success story locals celebrate, but for some reason the legacy population is only happy here if we they are negative.

The biggest discussion I see about the 4-0 start is people saying we are going to choke down the stretch just like we did last year. There's nothing the team can do to fix that besides win.

The constant losing after Halloween under Babers is a major issue. Casual fans keep waiting for what they believe is the inevitable choke job down the stretch. It's a wrong way to think but it's also hard to blame them based on actual W-L record.

Doesn’t a lot of the blame here have to go on the Alumni? Hundreds of thousands of slums within a 5 hour drive of the Dome and its Homecoming weekend?

You say this as if SU is Ohio State with many alumni remaining local. SU isn't a commuter school. You mentioned that many of us are five hours away. When I do come up to SU, I don't come up for a single day; I book a trip for an entire weekend. Let me break down the costs for you:
  1. Have to book a room first. When I've stayed out in Liverpool, after taxes and fees, I've spent $300 for two days. The closer you get to Downtown and SU, the more you're paying. That's me being economical while not staying out in the suburbs or smaller towns surrounding the city. The hotel industry gets into your pockets during football season and especially during Homecoming, Parents Weekend and Commencement.
  2. Booking travel. Flying is faster than the train and bus. If I book my flight out in advance, I'm going to spend about $250 round trip.
  3. Between feeding myself, buying merchandise on Marshall Street/SU Bookstore or the Dome and Ubers around the city, I'm dropping close to $200.
Two and a half days will cost me about $750 if I'm lucky and disciplined. I don't know what other people's expenses look like for a weekend trip. I've seen Clemson before, I don't care to see them again especially this year's team. If the home schedule were better, I'd have made an effort to come up.

Yeah, we will be lucky to have 40k in the dome by Saturday

They still have them every other row which means a lot of tickets not even released yet
Yupp some tickets that aren't resales that are right in the middle of the 12 seats I have for my group just popped up today. Nobody has sat there all season and the tickets haven't been up to buy all season or I would have for this game.

Worse yet, I asked my ticket rep to tell me if these exacts seats were available this off-season so I could switch my seasons so our entire group wasn't spread out at all and they never told me.

I know there are alums on this board who come up for a game or two a year and I think that's commendable as it takes dedication to do a 4-5 hour trip 6-7 time each fall. On the other hand there's plenty of other alums who b&tch about locals not attending who haven't been back to the Dome in decades, those people deserve blame.

People lie about drive times, it's longer than that :)

Honestly this game at 3:30 and this thread gets cut in half. Or if the kid from Clemson had split the uprights last week.

We need to win this game or else next year the "I'm not wasting my money because they never win the big game" excuse is still there to use.

It would be better if Clemson wasn't 2-2 but we just need to beat one of these brands at home or else the whiney casuals have an excuse that you can't really refute.

You say this as if SU is Ohio State with many alumni remaining local. SU isn't a commuter school. You mentioned that many of us are five hours away. When I do come up to SU, I don't come up for a single day; I book a trip for an entire weekend. Let me break down the costs for you:
  1. Have to book a room first. When I've stayed out in Liverpool, after taxes and fees, I've spent $300 for two days. The closer you get to Downtown and SU, the more you're paying. That's me being economical while not staying out in the suburbs or smaller towns surrounding the city. The hotel industry gets into your pockets during football season and especially during Homecoming, Parents Weekend and Commencement.
  2. Booking travel. Flying is faster than the train and bus. If I book my flight out in advance, I'm going to spend about $250 round trip.
  3. Between feeding myself, buying merchandise on Marshall Street/SU Bookstore or the Dome and Ubers around the city, I'm dropping close to $200.
Two and a half days will cost me about $750 if I'm lucky and disciplined. I don't know what other people's expenses look like for a weekend trip. I've seen Clemson before, I don't care to see them again especially this year's team. If the home schedule were better, I'd have made an effort to come up.
Hotels are way overpriced, especially when they’re located near anywhere that has anything at all to do. Paying $250+ for a nights sleep is ridiculous.

And $250 for a round trip flight? I can’t remember the last time I spent less than $400 on a round trip flight. I gotta get better about booking further in advance I guess?

People lie about drive times, it's longer than that :)

Honestly this game at 3:30 and this thread gets cut in half. Or if the kid from Clemson had split the uprights last week.

1000%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom