Clemson Attendance Thread | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson Attendance Thread

I get that …. Give Vets free tickets , Boys and Girls Club. People won’t complain about that ( Most People )
Agreed.

I live in Minneapolis, and back when SU played Minnesota in 2011, they made a big push the last day to give open seats away to students. End result was a capacity crowd. And it was an advantage for them in the game.

I'd love to see SU do something similar -- give some tickets away to students [I acknowledge that SU is much smaller than U of M, in terms of the # of students], do some community outreach like what you outline with veterans, Fort Drum, local middle schools, pop warner programs, etc.

Those kids will come with parents, who will buy stuff at the Dome. And it will put more butts in seats.

Win-win.

Why not? People don’t know how to go to the SU ticket site or to Ticketmaster? Or even StubHub?
Now you're being dense for the hell of it. We're talking finances and economics. Between a family of four, you'll probably spend $200 before taxes and fees for tickets in the 300s. Parking and food are going to be factored in as well because you don't tell kids they have to starve for three hours. For someone, that's a bill or a week/two weeks of groceries that they can't spend. Everyone's situation is different and that's going to play a role into what we're seeing with football attendance. The economy is trash right now and as it pertains to sports, people are being priced out everywhere and may be able to only go to one game a year. Colgate or Army may have been their one game. This is what I'm trying to get across. It's not an access issue.

Now you're being dense for the hell of it. We're talking finances and economics. Between a family of four, you'll probably spend $200 before taxes and fees for tickets in the 300s. Parking and food are going to be factored in as well because you don't tell kids they have to starve for three hours. For someone, that's a bill or a week/two weeks of groceries that they can't spend. Everyone's situation is different and that's going to play a role into what we're seeing with football attendance. The economy is trash right now and as it pertains to sports, people are being priced out everywhere and may be able to only go to one game a year. Colgate or Army may have been their one game. This is what I'm trying to get across. It's not an access issue.

Nice job of sidestepping. I only posted about the cost of tickets being $73. Nothing more nothing less.

They could do, what they did for NC State last season and give free tickets to SU staff

Seems too late to do that now……

Cuse wants to try to make $$$$ off of this game

I get that.

But if the ticket goes unsold, there's no revenue.

If I give away a ticket, but end up with some concession sales because someone uses the free ticket to get in the door and then buys some popcorn / soda, then they are making $$$.

So...

I get that.

But if the ticket goes unsold, there's no revenue.

If I give away a ticket, but end up with some concession sales because someone uses the free ticket to get in the door and then buys some popcorn / soda, then they are making $$$.

So...

I don’t disagree, but I know how Syracuse is looking at it

I don’t disagree, but I know how Syracuse is looking at it
Feels like they expected this to be like Duke visiting for basketball. Big resales and interest. Not so fast my friend...

Yeah there probably 12-15k seats available still

We’re looking at maybe 40k
According to JW they have to be very close to 40 if not there right now. As is usual your taking the extreme negative outlook. ( Tickets Sold )

It’ll probably be in the low 40s. No reason this game isn’t sold out.

Also of this blame is on Dino and the marketing department. For whatever reason our program thinks they can make a hype video early in the week and expect that to drive attendance. Quite honestly embarrassing. Marketing for football games is an ALL YEAR task and strategy that we didn’t do right now. Honestly, we have the Buffalo Bills a couple hours down the thruway who were garbage for 20+ years until 2017 and they have always had one of the most rabid fan bases and currently do.

You can’t tell me we can’t produce a fan base similar to Buffalo. The problem is Dino doesn’t allow media to get long looks at the team during the off season and preseason. The marketing department doesn’t do much of anything during the off-season. Tbh there’s a lot of east things they can do that they just don’t for whatever reason.

1) they need to market a lot harder in the Buffalo, Rochester, Binghamton, Syracuse and Albany areas. Those are your closest population centers where people will drive to see games. Every Bills home game there are bunches of people that make the drive for those games

2) they need to make the spring game AN EVENT. Think back to the orange madnesses for basketball. Those were well attended from 2009-2017(ish). It’s because the university made them an EVENT. That drives people to the spring game and gets eyes and hype for the team

3) they need to bring back fanfest in the preseason. Gives the fans a chance to meet the players, see the team again and gives young kids a chance to be Cuse fans from a young age. Builds excitement. Idk why they stopped doing this but it could be a HUGE plus for the team.

4) Dino needs to allow more access in the preseason. Absolute crime he doesn’t. You look around lost teams in the P5 and they have media at practice almost every day for a good chunk of the practice.

5) Dino needs To make his players and coaches more available. It’s easier to root for someone when you see them interviewed more and it’s almost like you get a personal connection with them because their personalities, etc…are more seen.

6) what they did a couple years ago was great in the off-season. They had their own mini hard knock style videos come out for a month or so during the off-season. Just 15-20 minute videos of behind the scenes stuff. Fans eat that up, and it builds hype and allows people to see the players and coaches more. ALOT of P5 teams do this and we don’t for whatever reason.

7) continue with the hype videos during the season. They are well done and it does build hype but the fact it’s one of probably the only things they do well is telling and attendance is a direct correlation to bad marketing

Our fa base is there. We sold out, what 3 games last year? It’s was there in the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s. It didn’t just go away but you have to give the fan base something to root for and make them excited. This team is fun to watch, and it’s a shame this game won’t sell out because if we win this game I think a 9-10 win season is VERY MUCH on the table

Some good ideas here but as a WNYer I think marketing to WNY area is a tough gig. Not many SU students come from those areas and the rest of the population cares more about the pro teams + UB when they're relevant. A lot of SU students/alum come from Downstate NY/NJ/PA with some Massachusetts and CT sprinkled in. Those alum pretty much won't drive 4+ hours and only go to the Metlife/Yankee Stadium/MSG games

Syracuse athletic director John Wildhack said the Orange’s football game against Clemson will draw the biggest crowd of the season to the JMA Wireless Dome on Saturday, with an attendance of more than 40,000 fans.

When asked if attendance could reach 42,000 fans, Wildhack paused.

“Don’t know,” he said. “But I will say this, at a game like this, when it’s on ABC and we have the recruits we have for football and basketball, attendance matters and atmosphere matters. It’s impactful to a recruit during their visit.”

"biggest crowd of the season" - with our opponents in the first 3 games, the opponent name brand in this game, homecoming/alumni weekend......obviously it will be the biggest crowd. If it isn't we have problems.

I think people will be surprised how many are in the dome tomorrow. Think there will be some big movement today and early tomorrow. I’m gonna say around 45k. People are gonna think that’s crazy but have a good feeling that’s where it ends up

Some good ideas here but as a WNYer I think marketing to WNY area is a tough gig. Not many SU students come from those areas and the rest of the population cares more about the pro teams + UB when they're relevant. A lot of SU students/alum come from Downstate NY/NJ/PA with some Massachusetts and CT sprinkled in. Those alum pretty much won't drive 4+ hours and only go to the Metlife/Yankee Stadium/MSG games

Agreed.

The school knows where their ticket buyers live. Unrealistic to push people two, three hours away in any sort of major campaign. Scooch's words but we wont get to scale on that.

I really wish the mythology of a four hour drive from NYC would stop. Maybe if you launch from Westchester...

they have sold over 40K in tickets.. How many go unused ?
That is what I always want to know - how many people showed up. The University obviously only cares about how many tickets were sold.

I think people will be surprised how many are in the dome tomorrow. Think there will be some big movement today and early tomorrow. I’m gonna say around 45k. People are gonna think that’s crazy but have a good feeling that’s where it ends up
Nothing wrong with some optimism.

Great to hear. I just want those kids / coaches to walk out of the tunnel to an acceptable crowd, and no big empty spots.

They DESERVE that.
Agreed, biggest home game of the year and these kids have put in so much work to get to where they are. Can’t even imagine how up they are for this game, would hate for there to be an overly disappointing crowd. Hopefully we get a late surge here.

JW said we will have over 40. That mens were in the 39 or more sold level now. Say what you will about JW , He’s not one to blow smoke up your ——
Hope you’re right. Still hoping for a late surge to ensure we get 40+ in the seats.

Agreed.

The school knows where their ticket buyers live. Unrealistic to push people two, three hours away in any sort of major campaign. Scooch's words but we wont get to scale on that.

I really wish the mythology of a four hour drive from NYC would stop. Maybe if you launch from Westchester...

I used to consistently do 3:30 from downtown Jersey City and occasionally 3:15 with no traffic. I have down under 3:45 from Westchester. The Bronx shouldn't be much more longer. Manhattan depends on where and when you leave. Long Island, Brooklyn, Queens are all treks. They will be longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom