Coach Brown Intro Press Conference: Monday 10 AM | ACC Network | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Brown Intro Press Conference: Monday 10 AM | ACC Network

We are going to wear pads every day because that will make us stronger players, and we have to be ready to play for 4 quarters.

I love this.

Maybe, just maybe...
  1. The team will improve from September to November.
  2. The defense will actually learn to tackle. To finish and run through ballcarriers and not drop to their knees or dive.
  3. The o-line will sustain blocks and push the pile rather than hit their man then stand there and watch defense push the pile.

Last edited:
I may have misinterpreted it, but I’m pretty sure he said he’d have 4 practices open for alumni. Not necessarily they can pop in at any practice.
I thought he was going to have 4 specific practices where alumni would be invited, but they could come anytime.

You could be right.

He did say we're going to 'spot' recruit and he mentioned Florida specifically. But you can win with a core of kids from NY, CT, MA, NJ, PA and MD. It's where his roots are so he knows this up close and personal. To do it though, he's going to have to take kids from Penn State and the rest of the Big 10 that now heavily recruits this region.

We'll see how this plays out - but this is the first time in a long time I have hope we could go head to head with Penn State in a recruiting battle and have even a puncher's chance of winning.

I thought he was going to have 4 specific practices where alumni would be invited, but they could come anytime.

You could be right.

You might be right too

Me on a random Wednesday
preview.jpg

I had some work meetings, so just finished listening to the presser.

I am not religious, not in the practicing sense, so when people talk publicly about their connection to God and praying, and whatnot, I tune it out. I was surprised at the quantity of the mentions. Similar to Red to, when he was hired.

That aside, and bringing the football to the forefront and the character traits that will lead to better Jimmies and Joes, I was impressed.
  • Absolutely loved the mention of the Kickoff Classic. I was at that game with my dad, and is the only game I ever attended with my dad. Connected with me there.
  • Loved him reaching out to Pasqualoni. Classy.
  • Loved the mentions of DeLeone and that era and bringing that era back. Its what we all want.
  • Loved the mention of D Darius. Getting that level of Jimmy/Joe back in the Cuse is the secret to it all, isn't it?
  • Love his life story, rising up and overcoming circumstances. I can connect with all that.
  • Loved his genuine approach to the reporters, expressing gratitude to the Nunes reporter, and confusion at that other reporter and calling him out on it.
  • Loved him saying that don't come to him complaining if you are not coming to practices and supporting
  • Nice hire with E Robinson
  • Nice mention about hiring people that are better than him
  • Love his detailed description of Nunzios family and their impact on Jersey football
  • Nice mention of what his role will be relative to a coordinator
Still, there are many questions. This is a huge job and a huge jump in responsibility. Will be hard to shake doubts until kickoff next year. Hope it all goes well.
This was probably his 1st press conference of this type. Like you said, he connected to you, and he connected with many others by being genuine, saying great things about past successful people at Syracuse and I think he has a great self awareness without having a huge ego to go along with it. He had a plan, and he probably has been having this press conference running through his head repeatedly for a few years.

It's no joke what he said about parents. Most coaches avoid parents like the plague since they all think their kids are all headed to Canton, Ohio. I can see HCFB having real conversations with the kids and their parents about what they can do to be successful. I'm not saying Red should be handling Benny differently, and hoops is different than football, but I can see Fran take a different approach with his guys. Here is the blueprint to success. Be on the bus or you are off the bus. And personal relationships with the kids and the parents will help players stay on the bus.

Last edited:
I had a boss who once told me the key to being a good leader is sincerity - once you learn how to fake that, the sky is the limit on what you can achieve.

Being Gen X and having a boss like that early in my career has caused my "cynic-meter" to be permanently pegged out - my assumption is he's bullshitting but he did a good enough job I'm hoping I'm going to be pleasantly surprised.
Sounds like you have a trust issue

Coach Mac once told me a story on the golf course about when Jake Crouthamel offered him the HC job. Jake said that he and the board of directors loved him to which coach responded, “you love me now but if the first year I go 2-9 and the second year 3-8 and the third year 4-7 will you still love me then”? To which Jake responded “Absolutely coach we will still love you, I don’t know where the hell you’ll be coaching but we will still love you.”

He was very impressive for sure. Lot’s of great answers to the questions (some ridiculously stupid). The part where he mentioned getting help for players having issues with dealing with the pressures of playing at this level and admitting he is not qualified for that type of help spoke a lot to me. I’m on the Brown bus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom