College Hoops Sim League Thread | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

College Hoops Sim League Thread

Man, my reputation got bumped down to B+ because I cut a kid who had never played a second for me. Not a single second! He was ineligible, yet I couldn't redshirt him, so he was a sophomore with a 472 rating because he couldn't practice and improve last year. So naturally, I cut him to free up the scholarship. Stupid reputation taking a hit bunch of bull...bah!

The bright side is my team average is now 588 with that dead weight cut loose, so I'm getting close to being competitive, I swear. My boy Boba Fett is up to 684, and four of my starters are over 600, with the fifth coming in at 587 (and his backup may not stay his backup for long, since he's at 575 and only a sophomore).

So, this recruiting cycle I'm looking at a power forward and a combo guard for my two open spots. Let the games begin.

jekelish said:
Man, my reputation got bumped down to B+ because I cut a kid who had never played a second for me. Not a single second! He was ineligible, yet I couldn't redshirt him, so he was a sophomore with a 472 rating because he couldn't practice and improve last year. So naturally, I cut him to free up the scholarship. Stupid reputation taking a hit bunch of bull...bah! The bright side is my team average is now 588 with that dead weight cut loose, so I'm getting close to being competitive, I swear. My boy Boba Fett is up to 684, and four of my starters are over 600, with the fifth coming in at 587 (and his backup may not stay his backup for long, since he's at 575 and only a sophomore). So, this recruiting cycle I'm looking at a power forward and a combo guard for my two open spots. Let the games begin.
I expected 2 guys to transfer as they were dead weight last year and didn't improve over their first two seasons enough to warrant playing time (I recruited over them). 1 took the bait, while the other stuck around like a f*cktard, leaving me to think I will cut him if I can secure an extra commitment without the extra $$. This is going to get interesting leading up to signing day. I have 3 spots to fill and hope to fill 4. Looking for a PF and the rest are just depth. All prepped and ready to strike.

is it worth it for me to attempt guys projected for dII?

I think i might take the FAQ's advice and wait to fill my last two spots until the 6th/7th, but wanted to get your personal thoughts too.

I think i might take the FAQ's advice and wait to fill my last two spots until the 6th/7th, but wanted to get your personal thoughts too.

I don't think I had any luck trying to pull people down from DII, Orangepace might have tho.

What states are you guys going to FSS?
I did Alabama and Tennessee. Both of my top targets (prior to seeing who they are interested in anyway) are from TN.

I had very limited success doing so. I nabbed 1 player in all of my time pulling guys down from a higher level. If you're going to do it, probably best to wait to see who may be left over because even if you get a guy to be considering only you, a D2 school can swoop in at the last second and make an offer and the recruit will jump there quickly and cheaply.

I don't think I had any luck trying to pull people down from DII, Orangepace might have tho.
I have Texas at the moment. May extend the reach, but not sure yet.

1 recruiting tip... Basketball, unlike football here, is a slow and steady approach vs. a guns blazing approach used in football most times.

looks like my team was a 14 seed last season. finishing 2nd in my conference.

My team appears to be pretty solid for a 1 year run. loaded with seniors unfortunately.

Edward Newton Sr PG 36 81 25 91 31 77 93 74 70 79 63 C 666
Rodney Coburn Jr SG 59 52 10 41 15 25 67 41 26 34 72 62 C 504
David Webb Jr SG 77 34 27 72 18 26 29 17 28 9 70 45 C 452
Leland Domino Jr SF 31 45 40 25 30 54 37 32 48 32 75 66 C 515
Jason Cain So SF 18 44 43 14 23 33 45 34 49 51 65 46 B 465
Michael Cuccia Sr PF 73 36 76 48 50 70 37 13 39 58 78 32 C 610
James Manuel Sr C 70 49 56 73 39 61 40 18 26 77 80 76 C 665
Carl Sharpless Sr C 49 30 94 58 85 4 31 26 34 88 82 59C 649
Averages -- 52 46 44 49 33 43 42 34 40 52 75 56 C 566

Ok... here goes...

Newton is a stud and should be your starting PG. I would try to play him north of 24 mpg. Cuccia the same at PF. I personally would also start Sharpless at C and oddly Manuel at SF. You're weaknesses fall on Coburn/Webb/Domino/Cain's shoulders. These guys are all weak. Use them all as backups if possible. If you can score a solid ATH/SPD/PE guy for the SG position in recruiting, your starting 5 would round out nicely. This will at least push all your weaknesses to the bench.

Depending on who you recruit, your distribution on offense should flow mostly through Newton/Cuccia/Manuel in that order. I would limit set Newton to be +1 for 3PT, and Coburn at 0. All others at -2.

That's the quick and dirty looking at your roster. hope that helps a little. The rest is just trial and error to learn how things effect production.

I need to find me a stud PG, a SF and a C.

I scouted bama and GA if anyone has any questions about players in that area

Why would I already have a dude on my recruiting summary listed as "high priority"? Did I get drunk and do some scouting? or does this mean he is interested in me right off the jump?

CuseTroop said:
Why would I already have a dude on my recruiting summary listed as "high priority"? Did I get drunk and do some scouting? or does this mean he is interested in me right off the jump?
i have 3 listed the same.
Was he recruited by you last season? Check his history.

Well, I have my #1 target identified. Need this dude.

same. luckily, he was the one guy to not reject my scholly offer.

Locked up 3 G's now and looking for a big man. Damn they're hard to pull in this season.

Man, I had some time yesterday to send out some feelers. Looks like I would have to battle for the guys I wanted. Hopefully I have some time this afternoon to get on it.

I seem to have locked up to guys, including my #1 option...a power forward I desperately need who, according to FSS, has a chance to improve a lot in almost every category. Which is nice, since he's already a 509 rating coming in. The other guy is a guard with a 488 rating and good athleticism and work ethic...kinda wishing I had focused on a different guard I've been recruiting, but oh well at this point. A bird in the hand and so forth.

Well, I got both of my guys. Kind of wishing I had gone after my other SG target but this guy is a ton more athletic so maybe that'll pay some dividends.

In fact, my PF already has the highest ATH rating on my team and the SG I signed is, I think, top 3 or so.

I locked down the SG I wanted... I didnt actually need a SG this season, but this guy looks solid, and at the time I hadent found a PG that I wanted. I still have 2 open, put a few feelers out this morning. Didnt have alot of time this weekend to recruit, so I'm hoping for a good closing day.

I locked down the SG I wanted... I didnt actually need a SG this season, but this guy looks solid, and at the time I hadent found a PG that I wanted. I still have 2 open, put a few feelers out this morning. Didnt have alot of time this weekend to recruit, so I'm hoping for a good closing day.
Feel free to chase the SG I wanted but didn't have room for, Jason Voetberg...good ball handling numbers so he could play point as well. 497 overall rating and I did the Future Stars thing on him and he has a bunch of "high" development categories. He's from Gary, Indiana.

got the SG i wanted, as well. JUCO, but will start immediately. Unfortunately, i didnt recruit the rest very well. Live and Learn. Looks like I will get a decent C I can redshirt, but not sure about the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom