College star who you thought would be a great pro..but wasnt. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

College star who you thought would be a great pro..but wasnt.

I would have drafted Oden before Durant. That's probably why the Celtics never hired me to be their GM.

Actually Paul is the reason why kids shouldn't have to go to college. If he enters the draft out of HS, he's a 1st rd pick, makes some money, and gets a longer look at sticking in the NBA. I think he's done well overseas, but being forced to come to school hurt his pro chances.

I get the overall point, but I think in Harris's case he came of his own volition - he prepped for a year and was really old so he could've skipped Syracuse altogether.

Glenn Robinson I thought he was going to be great, other than his first couple seasons he didnt live up to expectations.

I would have drafted Oden before Durant. That's probably why the Celtics never hired me to be their GM.

Me too - elite big men are more rare than elite perimeter players.

In defense of Billy, he had sooooo many injuries over his pro career. He had multiple knee surgeries if I'm not mistaken, and that just decimated his trajectory.
Yes, and still ended up playing 10 years and putting up 11.7 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 2.8 apg in 29,4 mpg. Not great compared to some, but not too shabby either.

Glenn Robinson I thought he was going to be great, other than his first couple seasons he didnt live up to expectations.

The fact that the Big Dog averaged 30 and 11 his junior season at Purdue is just completely insane.

For purposes of comparison, Billy Owens has the highest season scoring average of the Boeheim era, and he averaged 23 ppg in 1991.

Corey Brewer is the first one who comes to mind. Never would've imagined that Noah would wind up the best pro of those four kids.

A. Joakim Noah was the favorite for #1 pick if he came out after the 1st title
B. Al Horford is the better pro

Can't believe no one has yet mentioned Lawrence Moten. SU's all-time leading scorer, ball-magnet and fantastic finisher under the basket, yet he didn't make it in the pros. He's the one I was rooting for the most.-VBOF

John Morton from Seton Hall

..plus just about anyone drafted by the Knicks

I was thinking similarly and then looked him up, he average 20.7 ppg over an 11 year career. I think bum knees shortened his career.

Yes on Ron Mercer. Was he lazy or what? Was maybe the best player on both those Kentucky teams.

Sticking with the SEC, I remember Jumaine Jones being an excellent player for Georgia during that era. Don't think I've heard of him since.
Philly fans remember the underwhelming Jumaine since we drafted him in the first round. He doesn't even move the needle on awful Philly #1s though (share one wright, Kenny Payne)

I really thought John Wallace would be an impact player at the next level.

Corey Brewer
Marcus Williams
Hasheem Thabeet
Kendall Marshall
Sam Young

Funny, both Marcus Williams and Kendall Marshall would be at the top of my list as well. They both looked like quality NBA point guards to me. Makes me wonder if Tyler Ennis is heading down the same career path.

A. Joakim Noah was the favorite for #1 pick if he came out after the 1st title
B. Al Horford is the better pro

Good point regarding Horford. He's less visible to non-NBA watchers but he's put together a very good career.

Jimmer, Adam Morrison... I thought Harrison Barnes would be an allstar. He has been solid, tho.

morrison crying during a game that wasn't over = red flag

nvmd... just saw a clip. there was still almost 3 seconds left. in a 1 possession game. yikes.

(side note, i assumed he broke down after the game - all the pictures seem to be after the game)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom