Cooney | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

edowd26 said:
Ill admit I thought G was going to be the starter and better player. I was wrong. No shame in that. Cooney has blossomed into a very good SG and I have no reason to believe he won't continue to improve. Nothing they can say will sway me from this belief. Cooney belongs here, not by default, but because he is better than any 2 guard we've faced yet.

No doubt there are people who predicted he wouldn't start. Not the same as predicting that while trashing the kid and then never giving credit where credit is due to the kid then ripping him when he has a bad game. Different beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Your posts are the problem and JB thinks so too.

"Usually, we get him shots,'' Boeheim said. "We could not get him any shots. Part of that, though, by them guarding him out there, that's why Tyler could drive and C.J. could get it in there.''

Paraphrasing Tom Crean when asked why he couldn't effectively attack SU's zone: "We don't have a Trevor Cooney" But why listen to a couple of big time college coaches when you have a handful of internet warriors that want to impress with their knowledge of the game.

No doubt there are people who predicted he wouldn't start. Not the same as predicting that while trashing the kid and then never giving credit where credit is due to the kid then ripping him when he has a bad game. Different beast.

I don't think he had a bad game. I thought he was great, in that he didn't force anything, take bad shots, turn the ball over getting frustrated and trying to do something that wasn't there. Less heady and confident players could have really screwed up the game.

What "attack dogs"? Saying a player was a non-factor in a game is an observation not an "attack". All the attacking on here seems to be directed at anyone suggesting that TC "had less than a stellar day".

I wonder if anyone on here actually expected the Hawaii scenario to play out in the rest of the season. That is, teams through the season would allow us in the half court offense to set TC up at the arc, allow him to square up, catch the ball in rhythm and bomb 3's.
Then let me say your observation has a severe lack of basketball understanding. When a team puts their best defender on a guy and makes him stay with him at all costs , never being able to help out defending others. That is the epitome of impacting a game.

Those selfish people who think that the only factor is points scored are invited to never play a "team" sport.

Because it is the same people who said he was nothing and wouldn't start, then when he was killing it, they remained silent about it. Only to come out of hiding during his first bad game. Now they twist the facts, lie, make things up, and even disagree with JB. Don't believe them when they say they want Cooney to do well, they do not. Perfection for them would be for the team to win and Cooney playing bad and riding pine.

Let's not forget the flip side though. The people who wouldn't mind seeing a close loss if TC went 8/8 from deep.
And how it may be possible for that kind to twist, and spin to make TC look good...oh, like the OP did at half time of a disastrous game out of TC.

And let's not forget the people who were boasting about how they knew TC was going to be good because he brought all the other stuff to the table.
And then the better than GMac stuff.

Sgt Cuse said:
Let's not forget the flip side though. The people who wouldn't mind seeing a close loss if TC went 8/8 from deep. And how it may be possible for that kind to twist, and spin to make TC look good...oh, like the OP did at half time of a disastrous game out of TC. And let's not forget the people who were boasting about how they knew TC was going to be good because he brought all the other stuff to the table. And then the better than GMac stuff.

Except none of that is true. Based on posting history nobody at all comes to mind that woud rather lose if he could be 8/8. You could tell from the start those who would root against him.

Then let me say your observation has a severe lack of basketball understanding. When a team puts their best defender on a guy and makes him stay with him at all costs , never being able to help out defending others. That is the epitome of impacting a game.

Those selfish people who think that the only factor is points scored are invited to never play a "team" sport.

What exactly does "staying with him at all costs" mean?

Are there gradations of man on man defense? Like 1. "Stay with your man ,,,, but just a little bit and let him go if you get tired" all the way to n. "Whatever you do stick with at all costs".

Since you are a self-professed basketball expert, please enlighten us.

SU opened up the winning margin with Gbinije in there. I just re-watched the last part of the game. TC was in there for the last 30 seconds.

What exactly does "staying with him at all costs" mean?

Are there gradations of man on man defense? Like 1. "Stay with your man ,,,, but just a little bit and let him go if you get tired" all the way to n. "Whatever you do stick with at all costs".

Since you are a self-professed basketball expert, please enlighten us.

SU opened up the winning margin with Gbinije in there. I just re-watched the last part of the game. TC was in there for the last 30 seconds.
Watch the whole game. You have a singular inability to be enlightened. You can't read nor understand what JB said. You have never played team ball so you don't understand any differences in styles of man-to-man and probably have the same problem with a 2-3 zone.

Has your experience ever led you to understand a switching man-to-man? Is there a difference in going over rather than under a screen? Do yo have any clue what face-guarding means? Of course you don't - its blatantly obvious you have no clue what-so-ever.

Townie72 said:
What exactly does "staying with him at all costs" mean? Are there gradations of man on man defense? Like 1. "Stay with your man ,,,, but just a little bit and let him go if you get tired" all the way to n. "Whatever you do stick with at all costs". Since you are a self-professed basketball expert, please enlighten us. SU opened up the winning margin with Gbinije in there. I just re-watched the last part of the game. TC was in there for the last 30 seconds.

If you watched it you'd know we were up 3 when Cooney came out at under 10 mins and up 5 when he came back in. Call Guiness. Why are you still arguing with JB?

Watch the whole game. You have a singular inability to be enlightened. You can't read nor understand what JB said. You have never played team ball so you don't understand any differences in styles of man-to-man and probably have the same problem with a 2-3 zone.

Has your experience ever led you to understand a switching man-to-man? Is there a difference in going over rather than under a screen? Do yo have any clue what face-guarding means? Of course you don't - its blatantly obvious you have no clue what-so-ever.

Paul ... you're being obnoxious. You don't know anything about me or my athletic career.

Let's not forget the flip side though. The people who wouldn't mind seeing a close loss if TC went 8/8 from deep.
And how it may be possible for that kind to twist, and spin to make TC look good...oh, like the OP did at half time of a disastrous game out of TC.

And let's not forget the people who were boasting about how they knew TC was going to be good because he brought all the other stuff to the table.
Do you really think there are some people 'who wouldn't mind seeing a close loss if TC went 8/8 from deep'? Really?
really.gif

Can we change the thread title to.

"You can lead a horse to water but....."

Cause that's what this feels like.

i thought it showed hoe crucial Ennis is, not Cooney. If there is one player we can not afford to lose... its Ennis. We are still a top 10 team if we lose anyone else (including CJ). Lose Ennis, and we are nothing.
Like that is something nobody else realizes. You will get no argument on that score. We can not afford to lose our only point guard wow what a revelation!

Raf even said he needed to start moving, find a way to get open. I am done with this thread, clearly too much of an emotional topic for some.
Raf said. You are quoting a failed coach who now does broadcasting because he was a lousy coach.

Last edited:
Paul ... you're being obnoxious. You don't know anything about me or my athletic career.
You are correct and I was quite obnoxious. I get that way when I am called a self-professed expert. I am far from self-professed. I also get that way when it is obvious someone has no clue about differences in man-to-man schemes and uses rather obnoxious remarks like you did. You wanted to be enlightened but you refuse. Your ability or career are immaterial when all I have to go by is your posts. I now think you don't see the whole game in the parts you are watching. You are not alone in this. That is why a true point guard, like Ennis, is so rare and valuable. They see the whole game. There's so much more than just watching the ball or one or two players at a time.

Now that we have hopefully cleared that hurdle. We are on the same team. We are both SU addicts. So…..do you really think there is only one way to play man-to-man? We can start there.

I don't really care either way
clearly you do . . . you made a huge bet on Cooney that blew up in your face and you've been waiting all season for an off game to get something back

but the funniest part about all this is, JB pulls the kid in the 2nd half, literally sits him the majority of 2nd half and people here are stating that he had some type of impact on the game, makes sense

What does the word "majority" mean to you? He played 10:59 of the second half - subbed out with 9:47 left and back in with 0:46 to go.

It is true that Cooney had a bad game - St. John's made a conscious effort to take him out of the game on the offensive end, and he had his worst game of the year on the defensive end. But your anti-Cooney hyperbole is not that much better than the pro-Cooney stretches we are reading here today.

Can't wait for Cooney's army to come out in full force after he lights up High times next game!!! Clearly another spot for chest pounding and grab ass for the crew

For the record I was one of the biggest Cooney doubters out there last season. Me making this post at half time was me calling it like I see it. I had no hidden agenda behind it. I definitely didn't think it would blow up to a 5 page thread. and this quote seems to back that up

Your posts are the problem and JB thinks so too.

"Usually, we get him shots,'' Boeheim said. "We could not get him any shots. Part of that, though, by them guarding him out there, that's why Tyler could drive and C.J. could get it in there.''

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom