Cordy NOT transferring | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cordy NOT transferring

Hate to break it to you but one of those guys leaving leaves a big hole. Can't afford to lose anyone right now. Especially cause you don't know what will happen with this class. The reason we are so thin right now is Marrone sticking shafer last minute and we lost players in that class. We can't keep doing this three year new coach routine. Eventually we have to see one of these guys through. Shafer should have gotten another year. I really hope coyle has his guy. Shafer got screwed because everyone thinks the grass is always greener on the other side. Yes shafer made some stupid coaching calls but the guy deserved another year.

No he didn't. And it's not stupid coaching calls that did him in. Not winning because of the stupid coaching calls did him in. I'm sorry, but back to back 3 win seasons is totally unacceptable. If we lose a couple guys because of it, then so be it, but we desperately needed a head coaching upgrade, more then we need to hang on to 1 or 2 Freshman.

No he didn't. And it's not stupid coaching calls that did him in. Not winning because of the stupid coaching calls did him in. I'm sorry, but back to back 3 win seasons is totally unacceptable. If we lose a couple guys because of it, then so be it, but we desperately needed a head coaching upgrade, more then we need to hang on to 1 or 2 Freshman.
I don't want to lose Clark or Cordy, but finding a better coach for the long term is more important.

Shafer got screwed because everyone thinks the grass is always greener on the other side. Yes shafer made some stupid coaching calls but the guy deserved another year.
Possibly... I was on the fence until the end. That FG from the 1 was the last straw for me. It removed all doubt.

Cordy and the others need to let emotions die down a bit and wait to meet the new staff before taking a big leap...

I expect that some recruiters from other schools, and their associated Twitter armies, have been reconnecting with SU's freshman and sophomore classes.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO ONE IS TRANSFERRING.

No one will listen to me so I have to caps scream

And for the record, next man up clearly applies to SU hoops, and clearly doesn't apply to SU football.

Totally agree. IF Coyle makes the right hire by definition recruiting improves. Shoot, if we are able to get up to average in the ACC it would be a step up. The fact we are talking about 1-2 players potentially leaving a void speaks to the sad shape Shafer is leaving us in. We should be so lucky one day to have first world problems where other schools are poaching our players.

Hate to break it to you but one of those guys leaving leaves a big hole. Can't afford to lose anyone right now. Especially cause you don't know what will happen with this class. The reason we are so thin right now is Marrone sticking shafer last minute and we lost players in that class. We can't keep doing this three year new coach routine. Eventually we have to see one of these guys through. Shafer should have another year. I really hope coyle has his guy. Shafer got screwed because everyone thinks the grass is always greener on the other side. Yes shafer made some stupid coaching calls but the guy deserved another year.

Shafer got screwed? 3-9, 3-9? And shafer got screwed. Please. The guy didn't deserve a gd thing at this point.

:bang:

Shafer got screwed? 3-9, 3-9? And shafer got screwed. Please. The guy didn't deserve a gd thing at this point.

:bang:
Urban Meyer wouldn't win here with 7 different starting qbs in two years on top of all the other injuries.

Urban Meyer wouldn't win here with 7 different starting qbs in two years on top of all the other injuries.

If you believe that then you really aren't watching college football. Urban Meyer? Please stop, now urban Meyer couldn't even win at Syracuse. Who could then? Maybe just maybe Bill Belichick

If you believe that then you really aren't watching college football. Urban Meyer? Please stop, now urban Meyer couldn't even win at Syracuse. Who could then? Maybe just maybe Bill Belichick[/QUOTE
my god you know that's not what I meant. You're right shafer is a horrible coach.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO ONE IS TRANSFERRING.
Riiiiight.

This IS his twitter, by the way. And yes, he did tweet he's transferring and then delete the tweet.

Riiiiight.

This IS his twitter, by the way. And yes, he did tweet he's transferring and then delete the tweet.

Maybe it's just me (and I could be wrong), but this seems kind of selfish. Okay, I understand that you are upset they fired Shafer, but now by transferring you abandon your teammates as well? Just seems selfish. If he follows Shafer wherever he ends up, maybe it makes a little more sense, but still... I say stick with the TEAM.

Riiiiight.

It's still an overreaction by a "kid" at this point who essentially just found out his favorite boss has been let go by the company. It's the same feeling a lot of adults have at first and it goes away. Just because he said he's transferring doesn't mean it ends up happening.

It's still an overreaction by a "kid" at this point who essentially just found out his favorite boss has been let go by the company. It's the same feeling a lot of adults have at first and it goes away. Just because he said he's transferring doesn't mean it ends up happening.
Oh I agree completely. But all the "no one is transferring, god!" talk seems a little foolish considering it's very clearly being strongly considered, and by more than just Cordy.

Riiiiight.

People are naive if they think the majority of these kids commit to Syracuse University. Someone like Cordy's knowledge of SU before getting to campus was probably pretty much limited to what guys like shafer and McDonald told him about it while in his living room and what he saw of the basketball and football teams on TV. His official was spent with probably nothing but football players. Then his experience on campus was probably largely different then some frat boys from Long Island. Even at the lowest levels, kids are still largely committing to the coaches and not the schools.

That being said, it's extremely short-sighted of him to bail without finding out more about more about the incoming coach and the systems that will be in place. I hope he at least does that. There is nothing for him to gain by making the decision right at this moment.

Riiiiight.

Why did he delete the tweet then?

What school is he going to?

You really want to be right about this.

Why did he delete the tweet then?

What school is he going to?

You really want to be right about this.
No, I hope he doesn't transfer. I hope no one transfers. I'm just baffled as to why you're so dismissive of the fact that a lot of these kids are seriously considering it. There WILL be attrition. Hopefully no more than 1-2, but there will be.

Attrition happens everywhere for various reasons. It is part of the game. In my opinion, it the long term health of the program far outweighs the loss of a few players.

No, but he did win a NC with his third stringer just last year-I'd take my chances with the guy

Hate to break it to you but one of those guys leaving leaves a big hole. Can't afford to lose anyone right now. Especially cause you don't know what will happen with this class. The reason we are so thin right now is Marrone sticking shafer last minute and we lost players in that class. We can't keep doing this three year new coach routine. Eventually we have to see one of these guys through. Shafer should have gotten another year. I really hope coyle has his guy. Shafer got screwed because everyone thinks the grass is always greener on the other side. Yes shafer made some stupid coaching calls but the guy deserved another year.

Not to let facts get in the way of a good round of blame shifting but one player in the class flipped late on defense, Malik Brown.

There were a full 25 kids in that class anyways.

Out of that class Cooper, Kimbell, W. Williams, transferred; Marona and Johnson retired because of concussions, Kirkland, Kelly, and Trejo graduated; Howard was dismissed from the program.

That's on top of the 15 players that were freshmen and sophs on the 2012 roster that aren't here due to early departure.

That's a big reason why, the other is that most of last years defense were 4th and 5th year seniors and Eskridge declaring, it's a young team and Marrone has nothing to do with any of those 24 players not being on the roster.

Do people realize how F'ed up and in control schools are in transfer process.

Go look at the Utah State basketball player. The school won't release him. He can go to another school but he can't contact that school's coaches until he transfer and pays his own way for one year.

I am sure we will some kids but they won't be released until a new staff is hired and can try to talk to them and if the kid wants to leave I am sure we will give them a release. However, nobody on this roster is worth having an extra year just to keep an over his head HC for another year.

The Scott Shafer was screwed brigade are in living in an echo chamber if they believe his dismissal wasn't just.

Facts.
SS had a 4 year contract not 5 year. This was year 3 and any AD that was going to extend a HC with a 13-23 record would be mocked. SS couldn't be given an extension. The man couldn't coach as a lame duck thus removal was the correct decision.

Scott Shafer had no opportunities on the horizon to be a HC before SU gave them the job. He was given his break to be a HC by SU. He was not screwed. If he comes back next year. Our best case scenario is 6-6 but I would expect 3-9/4-8 and he gets fired then.

We actually have an optimistic future with a new HC. It is so frustrating reading a man got screwed who shouldn't have been HC in the first place. We had a Gerg year last year and Gerg year this year. If quacks like a duck and walks like a duck it is a damn duck.

No, but he did win a NC with his third stringer just last year-I'd take my chances with the guy
Again that's not really what I meant. also all those qbs were big time recruits. Not really comparable to long Wilson Kimble hunt Mahoney ... What I'm saying is even Meyer would have struggled with the two three deep we have.

jekelish said:
No, I hope he doesn't transfer. I hope no one transfers. I'm just baffled as to why you're so dismissive of the fact that a lot of these kids are seriously considering it. There WILL be attrition. Hopefully no more than 1-2, but there will be.

Attrition happens for a lot of reasons. There will be kids who the new coach tells that they probably won't play. We've seen that movie.

But any kid who just up and says I'm transferring because he's upset we fired the coach? Won't happen. Too many obstacles. Too many will reason with the kid and explain it. IF it happens, I will feel sorry for the kid, because it means he's too stubborn to listen. The odds that the grass is greener at another FBS (if they'll even take you) are very slim.

There's a reason why Cordy deleted his tweet so quickly.

Do people realize how F'ed up and in control schools are in transfer process.

Go look at the Utah State basketball player. The school won't release him. He can go to another school but he can't contact that school's coaches until he transfer and pays his own way for one year.

I am sure we will some kids but they won't be released until a new staff is hired and can try to talk to them and if the kid wants to leave I am sure we will give them a release. However, nobody on this roster is worth having an extra year just to keep an over his head HC for another year.

The Scott Shafer was screwed brigade are in living in an echo chamber if they believe his dismissal wasn't just.

Facts.
SS had a 4 year contract not 5 year. This was year 3 and any AD that was going to extend a HC with a 13-23 record would be mocked. SS couldn't be given an extension. The man couldn't coach as a lame duck thus removal was the correct decision.

Scott Shafer had no opportunities on the horizon to be a HC before SU gave them the job. He was given his break to be a HC by SU. He was not screwed. If he comes back next year. Our best case scenario is 6-6 but I would expect 3-9/4-8 and he gets fired then.

We actually have an optimistic future with a new HC. It is so frustrating reading a man got screwed who shouldn't have been HC in the first place. We had a Gerg year last year and Gerg year this year. If quacks like a duck and walks like a duck it is a damn duck.
Who the hell here is saying that we should have kept Shafer because we might lose kids? I know I'm certainly not. Literally the only thing I'm saying is that Cordy publicly said he's transferring, and there are other kids talking about doing the same. That's it. Nothing more.

Shafer's name hasn't come up virtually at all in this thread. But nice rant.

This won't be the last we here of a player making remarks like this. Kids love playing for coaches, I can name 3-4 coaches I played for I would have run through hell and back for. Lots of these kids are hundreds of miles away from home. They where most likely told by this staff come to SU and we will take care of you just like your family and now the family is gone. Lots of emotions and social media does not help that at all.