Cuban gets it | Syracusefan.com

Cuban gets it

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I promise you this relates to SU football: http://grantland.com/features/dallas-mavericks-mark-cuban-nba-playoffs/

The key section is this, Cuban reflecting on the initial reaction he received in the owners meetings...

In 2000, Cuban stood out, not just because of his age — 41 — but also because he was one of the first owners in American sports to emerge from the tech economy.1 He brought a start-up mentality to his new gig, claiming the league needed to wake up, revitalize the brand, and realize that pro sports were selling more than just sports.

“It was heresy to sit in a meeting to say, ‘We don’t sell basketball. Basketball’s not our product. We sell fun. We sell good times.’”

Cuban wanted to prove that smarter marketing could help the league fill its gyms with more fans. “It’s not about the sound of sneakers,” he says. “The hardcore fan is not who fills our arena, not even close. The people that listen to sports talk radio aren’t the people paying our bills. It’s the signal versus the noise. They’re the noise, they’re not the signal.”

This is why discussion here from the die hards about not having room for the bandwagon fan is just so off-kilter. Syracuse football needs more than people that used to go to games at Archbold, it needs people that come to fill the Dome because it's the most fun place they can be.

Here's the other thing Cuban understood:

Cuban set out to reimagine the NBA fan experience. His first project was selling out his arena by getting people in the cheap seats. “I wanted to fill [our arena] up because (a) I wanted to see if I could do it, and (b) when you have a full arena, your team plays better. It was part of winning.”

People here like to talk about how fans will return when the team wins. Well, maybe we should think about that in the other direction. Maybe we get the stands filled and the team plays up to the audience. Maybe if we wait for winning we'll just keep on waiting.

Man I wish baseball would let Cuban in.

I promise you this relates to SU football: http://grantland.com/features/dallas-mavericks-mark-cuban-nba-playoffs/

The key section is this, Cuban reflecting on the initial reaction he received in the owners meetings...

In 2000, Cuban stood out, not just because of his age — 41 — but also because he was one of the first owners in American sports to emerge from the tech economy.1 He brought a start-up mentality to his new gig, claiming the league needed to wake up, revitalize the brand, and realize that pro sports were selling more than just sports.

“It was heresy to sit in a meeting to say, ‘We don’t sell basketball. Basketball’s not our product. We sell fun. We sell good times.’”

Cuban wanted to prove that smarter marketing could help the league fill its gyms with more fans. “It’s not about the sound of sneakers,” he says. “The hardcore fan is not who fills our arena, not even close. The people that listen to sports talk radio aren’t the people paying our bills. It’s the signal versus the noise. They’re the noise, they’re not the signal.”

This is why discussion here from the die hards about not having room for the bandwagon fan is just so off-kilter. Syracuse football needs more than people that used to go to games at Archbold, it needs people that come to fill the Dome because it's the most fun place they can be.

Cuban set out to reimagine the NBA fan experience. His first project was selling out his arena by getting people in the cheap seats. “I wanted to fill [our arena] up because (a) I wanted to see if I could do it, and (b) when you have a full arena, your team plays better. It was part of winning.”

People here like to talk about how fans will return when the team wins. Well, maybe we should think about that in the other direction. Maybe we get the stands filled and the team plays up to the audience. Maybe if we wait for winning we'll just keep on waiting.

I think baseball is fine. The MLB teams seem to be doing okay, and the Chiefs drew 9k the other night.

I do agree that it's the University's responsibility to make the experience entertaining. People complain about attendance, the entertainment value of Syracuse football for too many years has been sorely lacking. Not the most exciting football on the planet.

You've been an advocate of juicing up the offense. I agree. I love the defense, but if we could ever offer an exciting offense to go with the D, fans will show. I don't want to see a bunch of Barnum and Bailey promos without seeing some changes that will get our offense off of life support.

Well firing coach mcd was a good first step.

I've been saying this ever since I've been active on the board. Look at when we smacked up #9 lville and (#11?) West Virginia in the dome. The Dome was rocking both games and those teams stepped up and turned heads. This was as recent as 2011-2012, guys. Clemson 2 years ago could have been a chance if they didn't botch the first half. Fsu last year was competitive but i don't remember thinking the dome was rocking that day. But still, They stepped up against the number 1 team in the country with a true freshman qb that day - they didn't get steamrolled.

I find Cuban to be an interesting guy. The powers that be often dislike up and comers who threaten to change business as usual. Their egos and comfort zones are often more important to them than changes that would ultimately help them.

Big Cuban fan ever since he was so nice to my nephew. You? Meh.:)

Big Cuban fan ever since he was so nice to my nephew. You? Meh.:)
I like to think of myself as the homeless man's nephew's version of Mark Cuban.

It's easy to say that home teams play better when the stadium is filled. That's mastery of the obvious. It's a lot harder to get people to go to games when a team is not winning...especially when you don't have the deep pockets of a billionaire.

It's easy to say that home teams play better when the stadium is filled. That's mastery of the obvious. It's a lot harder to get people to go to games when a team is not winning...especially when you don't have the deep pockets of a billionaire.
Did you read the rest of the article? He goes in to some detail about how he turned the Mavs around. It wasn't all because he had deep pockets, although that played a part. It's because he focused on the experience independent of team performance and improved things for his players, coaching staff and all other Mavericks personnel along the way.

Did you read the rest of the article? He goes in to some detail about how he turned the Mavs around. It wasn't all because he had deep pockets, although that played a part. It's because he focused on the experience independent of team performance and improved things for his players, coaching staff and all other Mavericks personnel along the way.
Yes. I read the article.
I understand and agree that there is no one thing that turns a program around. I am all for a good fan experience too. There are many little things to do and I have advocated many too. No matter what he has done for the fans (cheap seats, giveaways, gorillas slam dunking at half-time, etc.), it comes down (from him) to paying players enough for them to want to come to his team. That is a major part of his winning and it is not something that can legally be done in college football.

A few years ago when I still had season tickets, I sent an e-mail to Dr. Gross who then referred me to and forwarded my e-mail to someone in marketing (don't recall name off-hand). I had a list of suggestions that would cost minimal amount of $ but help to create an "atmosphere" especially targeting younger kids (as my nephew was ~8 at the time). The only thing I've seen in the dome that I suggested was adding more beer/micro-beer options and I doubt my suggestion was the reason for this.

Essentially everything I proposed and suggested were in line with Cuban's thought process. I never heard from anyone again and it's not my responsibility to beg to provide free, useful advice. I'm sure they get a ton of these types of e-mails all the time, mine however would have worked, wasn't fantasy world, and could have started the process with minimal investment. But again, I'm sure it's hard to read through a lot of crap they probably get on a daily basis.

A few years ago when I still had season tickets, I sent an e-mail to Dr. Gross who then referred me to and forwarded my e-mail to someone in marketing (don't recall name off-hand). I had a list of suggestions that would cost minimal amount of $ but help to create an "atmosphere" especially targeting younger kids (as my nephew was ~8 at the time). The only thing I've seen in the dome that I suggested was adding more beer/micro-beer options and I doubt my suggestion was the reason for this.

Essentially everything I proposed and suggested were in line with Cuban's thought process. I never heard from anyone again and it's not my responsibility to beg to provide free, useful advice. I'm sure they get a ton of these types of e-mails all the time, mine however would have worked, wasn't fantasy world, and could have started the process with minimal investment. But again, I'm sure it's hard to read through a lot of crap they probably get on a daily basis.
Just curious, what were your ideas? I am truly interested. I see a lot of ideas here...some I like some are dopey. I won't critique them here but I would like to hear about them.

I looked at the article again and this is what I see Cuban said he specifically did:

- Cheap seats
- “jack up” the price of courtside seats
- Constant jumbotronning
- everybody-clap-your-hands-ing
- have players stay in good hotels
- hire a good coach
- Buy good players
- run it like a business
- sell fun

Just curious, what were your ideas? I am truly interested. I see a lot of ideas here...some I like some are dopey. I won't critique them here but I would like to hear about them.

I looked at the article again and this is what I see Cuban said he specifically did:

- Cheap seats
- “jack up” the price of courtside seats
- Constant jumbotronning
- everybody-clap-your-hands-ing
- have players stay in good hotels
- hire a good coach
- Buy good players
- run it like a business
- sell fun

This was 3 years ago or so and not written on a whim. The main thing I remember off-hand, the dome needed to be a place that was fun for young kids - teenagers. You have potentially ~10 years of college graduates and local kids who have no feelings for the Football program even if the team is decent (Pinstripe Bowl). I always see "kids" at the dome; do a majority of these kids have a desire to return? My guess is, maybe if asked once in awhile but in general probably not. I'm guessing most of the "kids" don't ask their parents to get tickets to go to the game. That's a big deal. Parents will get tickets if their kids ask, especially at the prices offered by the dome. I'm a 'Cuse fan for life, my wife never watched college football and is a diehard football fan - she's the one that pushed to get season tix even coming off Grob era, my 4 month old will be a 'cuse fan. For so many college graduates and upstaters, that link has been broken for a long time with the football program.

Even more importantly the long-term impact of that is huge. If "kids" want to come to the dome year after year, even if it's 1 - 2 games per year, they'll likely be 'cuse football fans for life. Maybe they will only be bandwagoners and show up to 1 game a year when the team is mediocre and show up to more when things seem potentially exciting. But that's ok, as Cuban says essentially, it's not the diehards who drive the bus. But they'll watch games on TV, maybe for a half, they'll buy a jersey once in awhile and they'll likely teach their own kids that 'cuse football is the family team.

One suggestion I had was to have more Otto's walking around the dome. The last two years I've been at the dome I haven't seen Otto once. The last year we had season tix Otto came up to our section and my nephew met Otto, took pictures together, and was excited about that. All the other kids around us were excited to see Otto. Who the hell wouldn't be excited to see a big fat orange walking around? When I suggested this a long time ago on here, a few people blasted me that this was a stupid idea because there should only be 1 Otto walking around the dome. Ok, you think 8 year olds care how many Otto's are walking around? They only care that they meet Otto.
- So to me Otto builds brand recognition with young kids. Even the drunk college kids like Otto. Why not make sure that every kid that comes to the dome meets Otto so that they want to come back and experience that again.
- Maybe have Otto zones in the dome, like meeting Santa at the mall. Get your picture taken with Otto for free before/after the game

Another suggestion was to have the band on both sides of the dome. Sometimes when things are not going well the only thing that keeps me pumped up is to hear the band going. I'm not familiar with bands, so I'm guessing this would be a logistical nightmare trying to get bands on two sides of the stadium to play at the same time. So what, make it happen.
- This was before we got some of the recent upgrades inside the dome with the video screens, etc. So my thought was to try to make the atmosphere inside as lively as possible with as little cost as possible.

Had a few other things; all atmosphere and/or kid - college student centered. I'll see if I can find the e-mail.

Last edited:
The abundance of non-basketball stuff is actually the biggest thing I don't like about the pro game. I do understand what he is saying about getting casual fans interested, however. In an area where the community isn't college football crazed like the south, we have to do things differently to get people in the doors.

This was 3 years ago or so and not written on a whim. The main thing I remember off-hand, the dome needed to be a place that was fun for young kids - teenagers. You have potentially ~10 years of college graduates and local kids who have no feelings for the Football program even if the team is decent (Pinstripe Bowl). I always see "kids" at the dome; do a majority of these kids have a desire to return? My guess is, maybe if asked once in awhile but in general probably not. I'm guessing most of the "kids" don't ask their parents to get tickets to go to the game. That's a big deal. Parents will get tickets if their kids ask, especially at the prices offered by the dome. I'm a 'Cuse fan for life, my wife never watched college football and is a diehard football fan - she's the one that pushed to get season tix even coming off Grob era, my 4 month old will be a 'cuse fan. For so many college graduates and upstaters, that link has been broken for a long time with the football program.

Even more importantly the long-term impact of that is huge. If "kids" want to come to the dome year after year, even if it's 1 - 2 games per year, they'll likely be 'cuse football fans for life. Maybe they will only be bandwagoners and show up to 1 game a year when the team is mediocre and show up to more when things seem potentially exciting. But that's ok, as Cuban says essentially, it's not the diehards who drive the bus. But they'll watch games on TV, maybe for a half, they'll buy a jersey once in awhile and they'll likely teach their own kids that 'cuse football is the family team.

One suggestion I had was to have more Otto's walking around the dome. The last two years I've been at the dome I haven't seen Otto once. The last year we had season tix Otto came up to our section and my nephew met Otto, took pictures together, and was excited about that. All the other kids around us were excited to see Otto. Who the hell wouldn't be excited to see a big fat orange walking around? When I suggested this a long time ago on here, a few people blasted me that this was a stupid idea because there should only be 1 Otto walking around the dome. Ok, you think 8 year olds care how many Otto's are walking around? They only care that they meet Otto.
- So to me Otto builds brand recognition with young kids. Even the drunk college kids like Otto. Why not make sure that every kid that comes to the dome meets Otto so that they want to come back and experience that again.
- Maybe have Otto zones in the dome, like meeting Santa at the mall. Get your picture taken with Otto for free before/after the game

Another suggestion was to have the band on both sides of the dome. Sometimes when things are not going well the only thing that keeps me pumped up is to hear the band going. I'm not familiar with bands, so I'm guessing this would be a logistical nightmare trying to get bands on two sides of the stadium to play at the same time. So what, make it happen.
- This was before we got some of the recent upgrades inside the dome with the video screens, etc. So my thought was to try to make the atmosphere inside as lively as possible with as little cost as possible.

Had a few other things; all atmosphere and/or kid - college student centered. I'll see if I can find the e-mail.
I love the idea of a bunch of Ottos running around.

qdawgg said:
This was 3 years ago or so and not written on a whim. The main thing I remember off-hand, the dome needed to be a place that was fun for young kids - teenagers. You have potentially ~10 years of college graduates and local kids who have no feelings for the Football program even if the team is decent (Pinstripe Bowl). I always see "kids" at the dome; do a majority of these kids have a desire to return? My guess is, maybe if asked once in awhile but in general probably not. I'm guessing most of the "kids" don't ask their parents to get tickets to go to the game. That's a big deal. Parents will get tickets if their kids ask, especially at the prices offered by the dome. I'm a 'Cuse fan for life, my wife never watched college football and is a diehard football fan - she's the one that pushed to get season tix even coming off Grob era, my 4 month old will be a 'cuse fan. For so many college graduates and upstaters, that link has been broken for a long time with the football program. Even more importantly the long-term impact of that is huge. If "kids" want to come to the dome year after year, even if it's 1 - 2 games per year, they'll likely be 'cuse football fans for life. Maybe they will only be bandwagoners and show up to 1 game a year when the team is mediocre and show up to more when things seem potentially exciting. But that's ok, as Cuban says essentially, it's not the diehards who drive the bus. But they'll watch games on TV, maybe for a half, they'll buy a jersey once in awhile and they'll likely teach their own kids that 'cuse football is the family team. One suggestion I had was to have more Otto's walking around the dome. The last two years I've been at the dome I haven't seen Otto once. The last year we had season tix Otto came up to our section and my nephew met Otto, took pictures together, and was excited about that. All the other kids around us were excited to see Otto. Who the hell wouldn't be excited to see a big fat orange walking around? When I suggested this a long time ago on here, a few people blasted me that this was a stupid idea because there should only be 1 Otto walking around the dome. Ok, you think 8 year olds care how many Otto's are walking around? They only care that they meet Otto. - So to me Otto builds brand recognition with young kids. Even the drunk college kids like Otto. Why not make sure that every kid that comes to the dome meets Otto so that they want to come back and experience that again. - Maybe have Otto zones in the dome, like meeting Santa at the mall. Get your picture taken with Otto for free before/after the game Another suggestion was to have the band on both sides of the dome. Sometimes when things are not going well the only thing that keeps me pumped up is to hear the band going. I'm not familiar with bands, so I'm guessing this would be a logistical nightmare trying to get bands on two sides of the stadium to play at the same time. So what, make it happen. - This was before we got some of the recent upgrades inside the dome with the video screens, etc. So my thought was to try to make the atmosphere inside as lively as possible with as little cost as possible. Had a few other things; all atmosphere and/or kid - college student centered. I'll see if I can find the e-mail.

1. I think 8 year olds are smart enuff to realize that the Santa in the mall isn't the same one we just saw 10 minutes ago in the Macy's parade, so yeah seeing more than one at once should be an issue even to an 8 year old bafoon.

2. One Otto is too many, but I'll just have to deal.

3. Regarding the band: how about dropping the DJ AND LETTING THE ONE BAND PLAY? Two bands won't change anything if they're gonna take a back seat to DJ MAESTRO.

BRING THE SOUNDS OF COLLEGE SPORTS BACK TO SYRACUSE!! #LetTheBandPlay

SU has 6 home football games a year. The outside just around the Dome should be like the State Fair midway. It should be a carnival. You want to get family's to the game. Have food stands outside, autograph booths with former players, have mobile shops where you can buy SU gear. Little games where you can win little prizes. For those 6 saturday's it should be a party outside the dome. You will pack the place and get the casual fans. Don't sell SU football...sell FUN.

And I would have an Otto at every gate at the Dome taking pictures with fans and kids.

It would be pretty funny if SU came out with a new football marketing campaign that was in essence, "Look, the team might not be very good. There's a decent chance we'll suck. But you're going to have one helluva time inside and outside the Dome on Saturdays. Adults are gonna party, kids are gonna get sensory overload, and if we lose by 30 at least we'll have fun doing so, dammit."

Honestly, I'm not sure it'd work in CNY. It's just never struck me as a place that would support a Wrigley-like passion for a mediocre team. But maybe it's worth a shot.

One thing though... I love Cuban, but we're talking about putting 20K people in an arena 41 times a year in the 5th biggest market in the country. A market that has a ton of corporate HQs and thousands of fabulously wealthy residents.

Before Cuban bought the team that Mavs played to 80-90% capacity at the old Reunion Arena, largely with mediocre-at-best teams. He basically goosed attendance by 3-4K people. That's great, but if he did nothing to the fan experience but field a 50+ win team, he'd have accomplished that most likely.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, SU has a capacity problem. The Dome is too big for our market and football fan base size. I am 100% in favor of ripping out the benches, installing seats, and lopping 6-8K from our football capacity. Even in our best seasons there was never scarcity in terms of tickets.

Part of creating an atmosphere is making obtaining a ticket desirable, and creating demand via scarcity is a big driver of that.

It would be pretty funny if SU came out with a new football marketing campaign that was in essence, "Look, the team might not be very good. There's a decent chance we'll suck. But you're going to have one helluva time inside and outside the Dome on Saturdays. Adults are gonna party, kids are gonna get sensory overload, and if we lose by 30 at least we'll have fun doing so, dammit."

Honestly, I'm not sure it'd work in CNY. It's just never struck me as a place that would support a Wrigley-like passion for a mediocre team. But maybe it's worth a shot.
Why not try? I mean, is that worse than what we have now?

Make the Dome a freaking hotspot with full wifi access. Every attendee texts to a central site to register for (nice) giveaways during the game - with winners notified by text. Wifi access will attract at least some additional students and the marketing arm of the Athletic Department walks away with contact info of your target population. Boom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom