Cuban gets it | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cuban gets it

1. I think 8 year olds are smart enuff to realize that the Santa in the mall isn't the same one we just saw 10 minutes ago in the Macy's parade, so yeah seeing more than one at once should be an issue even to an 8 year old bafoon.

2. One Otto is too many, but I'll just have to deal.

3. Regarding the band: how about dropping the DJ AND LETTING THE ONE BAND PLAY? Two bands won't change anything if they're gonna take a back seat to DJ MAESTRO.

BRING THE SOUNDS OF COLLEGE SPORTS BACK TO SYRACUSE!! #LetTheBandPlay

They're definitely smart enough to use proper english but they aren't fickle enough to care if there are 4 Otto's in the dome.

This is where the smarter people make important logistical decisions.
- If you have a big oval shaped structure with multiple levels and you don't want uptight 8 year olds bumping into more than 1 Otto at once. Place 2 Otto's on the first floor and 2 Otto's on the second floor. The Otto's on the first floor will only "patrol" a particular area they've been assigned. The Otto's on the second floor will follow similar protocol as it pertains to their particular floor. If Otto's on the same floor find themselves taking a dump at the same time in the same bathroom, causing some 8 year olds to become confused or the smarter ones to be disenchanted by seeing 2 Otto's in the same place. Hire 1 male and 1 female for each floor.

- The DJ is there for the college kids. You may not care about the DJ but since this is about long-term impact, any attempt to make the games more enjoyable for college students... do it. If the DJ "thing" was researched first and college students indicated they liked the idea, I'm all for it.
- Logistically, the DJ and the band should know what each other is doing. Simple stuff, obviously complicated for some.

Two bands is because 1 band is cool but if you're on the other side of the dome from the band you don't get the same experience. Hence why the band walks around to different sections during the game. Two bands equals better coverage and prevents the band from having to walk around the whole game.

Didn't we do alot of this stuff during the Grob years? They tried to make the quad gameday central. There are already mobile SU merchandise booths and bounce-houses, they run the pre-game show from the quad. They used to get musical acts to come in. There was the quad walk as well. Wrong place, wrong time as the team was so horrible it didn't matter? IDK but the community at large didn't give 2 craps about that stuff.

1. I think 8 year olds are smart enuff to realize that the Santa in the mall isn't the same one we just saw 10 minutes ago in the Macy's parade, so yeah seeing more than one at once should be an issue even to an 8 year old bafoon.

2. One Otto is too many, but I'll just have to deal.

3. Regarding the band: how about dropping the DJ AND LETTING THE ONE BAND PLAY? Two bands won't change anything if they're gonna take a back seat to DJ MAESTRO.

BRING THE SOUNDS OF COLLEGE SPORTS BACK TO SYRACUSE!! #LetTheBandPlay
Amen, Brother!

Didn't we do alot of this stuff during the Grob years? They tried to make the quad gameday central. There are already mobile SU merchandise booths and bounce-houses, they run the pre-game show from the quad. They used to get musical acts to come in. There was the quad walk as well. Wrong place, wrong time as the team was so horrible it didn't matter? IDK but the community at large didn't give 2 craps about that stuff.
They still have all this on the Quad except for the quad walk. Marrone didn't like it. The idea of a quad walk is to allow the fans to see the players up close, cheer them on, and bond with them instead of watching doll-size figures from the stands or -- even worse -- their home TV.

I'd have the team follow the band on the quad to the chapel, have the band play the alma mater and then have Scott lead the team to the dome as the band continues their quad show.

As a contributing alumnus ('68), I sent this suggestion to Queen Nancy and to Doug and never received any response, not even a form letter or a FU. Hopefully, the new administration will listen to their fan base.

qdawgg said:
They're definitely smart enough to use proper english but they aren't fickle enough to care if there are 4 Otto's in the dome. This is where the smarter people make important logistical decisions. - If you have a big oval shaped structure with multiple levels and you don't want uptight 8 year olds bumping into more than 1 Otto at once. Place 2 Otto's on the first floor and 2 Otto's on the second floor. The Otto's on the first floor will only "patrol" a particular area they've been assigned. The Otto's on the second floor will follow similar protocol as it pertains to their particular floor. If Otto's on the same floor find themselves taking a dump at the same time in the same bathroom, causing some 8 year olds to become confused or the smarter ones to be disenchanted by seeing 2 Otto's in the same place. Hire 1 male and 1 female for each floor. - The DJ is there for the college kids. You may not care about the DJ but since this is about long-term impact, any attempt to make the games more enjoyable for college students... do it. If the DJ "thing" was researched first and college students indicated they liked the idea, I'm all for it. - Logistically, the DJ and the band should know what each other is doing. Simple stuff, obviously complicated for some. Two bands is because 1 band is cool but if you're on the other side of the dome from the band you don't get the same experience. Hence why the band walks around to different sections during the game. Two bands equals better coverage and prevents the band from having to walk around the whole game.

Ok. First of all, I know how to spell enough. I am an 80s metal fan, and ever since Enuff Znuff hit the scene, I've been spelling it that way for fun. Not because I'm a knucklehead.

Why do you suppose every other broadcast of a football or basketball game is filled with the sounds of marching/pep bands and not a DJ? Is it because Syracuse is ahead of everyone else, and after a few years the rest of the "out of touch" universities will catch up and start using a DJ? The answer to that question is no.

The answer to the kids and today's popular music is doing marching/pep band arrangements of today's garbage.

Ok. First of all, I know how to spell enough. I am an 80s metal fan, and ever since Enuff Znuff hit the scene, I've been spelling it that way for fun. Not because I'm a knucklehead.

Why do you suppose every other broadcast of a football or basketball game is filled with the sounds of marching/pep bands and not a DJ? Is it because Syracuse is ahead of everyone else, and after a few years the rest of the "out of touch" universities will catch up and start using a DJ? The answer to that question is no.

The answer to the kids and today's popular music is doing marching/pep band arrangements of today's garbage.

If I hear one more friggin Bryan Adams or Journey arrangement by our marching band I will go all.....

450_falling-down-falling-down-1578187629.jpg

If I hear one more friggin Bryan Adams or Journey arrangement by our marching band I will go all...

450_falling-down-falling-down-1578187629.jpg
Throw in the Michael Jackson "THRILLER" one too

Hi,

Band director here. I'd love to get some tunes that you would like to hear; this is the time of the year where we start thinking about this, so please let me know!

Just FYI, the SUMB doesn't have any Bryan Adams tunes in its book. We've only played Thriller twice, once in a field show in 2008 and again in 2012. The only Journey tune we have is "Any Way You Want It," and we don't play it every game. :)

Looking forward to making next year great for all of our fans!

Justin

Hi,

Band director here. I'd love to get some tunes that you would like to hear; this is the time of the year where we start thinking about this, so please let me know!

Just FYI, the SUMB doesn't have any Bryan Adams tunes in its book. We've only played Thriller twice, once in a field show in 2008 and again in 2012. The only Journey tune we have is "Any Way You Want It," and we don't play it every game. :)

Justin
I recommend the following:

Boom Shake the Room by DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince
I Believe in a Thing Called Love by The Darkness
Tipsy by J Kwon
Big Balls by ACDC

Hi,

Justin
I'm not cool enough to suggest any. The opening guitar riff from "Welcome To The Jungle" still gets me hyped for kick off.

Hi,

Justin
Hi Justin, Thanks for stopping by. I think the Bryan Adams stuff is WAAAAAAY old going back to the P days, but Boys of Summer was a halftime hallmark for awhile if memory serves me correctly. That said we're talking over a decade ago. I'd love to hear Crazy Train to go with our Express theme. Also I saw a video of Iowa State doing Spiderwebs from No Doubt, that would be cool. For the really young crowd...ie. students...check it out....

I'm thinking there has to be someway to incorporate the DJ with the Skrillex stuff and make it completely unique to SU as well.

Last edited:
I recommend the following:

Boom Shake the Room by DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince
I Believe in a Thing Called Love by The Darkness
Tipsy by J Kwon
Big Balls by ACDC

NO MORE AC/DC!!!!! I love them but EVERYONE does it EVERY YEAR!!!!

SUMB said:
Hi, Band director here. I'd love to get some tunes that you would like to hear; this is the time of the year where we start thinking about this, so please let me know! Just FYI, the SUMB doesn't have any Bryan Adams tunes in its book. We've only played Thriller twice, once in a field show in 2008 and again in 2012. The only Journey tune we have is "Any Way You Want It," and we don't play it every game. :) Looking forward to making next year great for all of our fans! Justin
Justin,
I'm in the "let the band play" camp. What is the SOP these days with all the video ads and that DJ? The sounds of college athletics have unfortunately dwindled in Syracuse. It's time for a REVOLUTION!!!!!

I still like the Immigrant Song: "We come from the land of the ice and snow"

Dig out some old Chicago Transit Authority songs from the late 60's.

bevosu said:
Dig out some old Chicago Transit Authority songs from the late 60's. YouTube Video
I'm not saying that's not good, but it's the exact opposite of what everyone says is the reason for the DJ.

I can only hear Jump Around and I'm Sexy And I Know It so many times. And that number is once by the way.

Hi,

Justin

Bud Poliquin asked me to find out if you guys know any opera.

Both your responses to my posts are perfect examples of one of the points Cuban is trying to make.

The Quad experience features the same merchandise/food that is inside the Dome (except the Orange Club tent), and does anyone think standing around listening to McManus and whoever is entertaining? One year they tried the concerts on the quad- who could forget Mini-Kiss, but again that was whatever TK99 wanted to book and not something that was done in the interest of students.

The idea of food trucks, autograph opportunities, meeting other athletes/former players, outside the Dome is what's needed. Syracuse as a market likes events, so you need to make each SU home game an event.

Full_Rebar said:
The Quad experience features the same merchandise/food that is inside the Dome (except the Orange Club tent), and does anyone think standing around listening to McManus and whoever is entertaining? One year they tried the concerts on the quad- who could forget Mini-Kiss, but again that was whatever TK99 wanted to book and not something that was done in the interest of students. The idea of food trucks, autograph opportunities, meeting other athletes/former players, outside the Dome is what's needed. Syracuse as a market likes events, so you need to make each SU home game an event.
A couple of fun stories about quad signings... That Steiner guy was selling books, and had joe Morris and scoop jardine signing if you bought a book. It was it well handled as it was not explained, and I got scoop and joe both to sign little pictures that they had there with them without buying the book. I had a throwback Nike Syracuse football jersey with the number 8 and HARRISON on the back. Joe Morris asked me why I had an Auburn jersey on. Seriously Joe?

They had the 1984 team that beat Nebraska before a game in the quad and since I had the original schedule poster I thought it would be a cool thing to take along. Like most SU signings it was poorly set up. Some of the guys advertised were it there, like Tim green, and coach Mac. Those who were ( Schiano, Schwedes, Drummond, and others) flipped when they saw this thing. I ended getting Green later that year at Legends and Stars. He was prominent on poster so I thought that was a must get.

It would be nice to have something like this more often. Maybe everyone can stop into shirt world and get a signed pic of Jacobs before every game???? ;)

The Quad experience features the same merchandise/food that is inside the Dome (except the Orange Club tent), and does anyone think standing around listening to McManus and whoever is entertaining? One year they tried the concerts on the quad- who could forget Mini-Kiss, but again that was whatever TK99 wanted to book and not something that was done in the interest of students.

The idea of food trucks, autograph opportunities, meeting other athletes/former players, outside the Dome is what's needed. Syracuse as a market likes events, so you need to make each SU home game an event.

Food trucks idea is a great idea. I didn't think of that even though I love going to big cities and finding the best food trucks.

Food trucks idea is a great idea. I didn't think of that even though I love going to big cities and finding the best food trucks.
Does Syracuse have much of a food truck community?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom