'Cuse in lead for QB... | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse in lead for QB...

arbitragegls

All Conference
from ESPN:

Note how 'Cuse is now considered ACC--like that. Have shortened so not full copy. Also source said NCState wants the kid...our first argument!

Quarterback Mitch Kimble (Jerseyville, Ill./Jerseyville Community) is committed to Northern Illinois, but the Huskies are no longer his top option. A pair of ACC schools have risen to the top. North Carolina State and Syracuse are now under consideration.

Syracuse is now the leader to land Kimble according to John Garcia Jr. of S...com.

“I haven’t talked to the (Northern Illinois) coaches yet, but for right now I’m still committed,” Kimble told Garcia. It’s just Syracuse and N.C. State."

New North Carolina State head coach Dave Doeren could be a factor in Kimble's final decision. Doeren originally recruited Kimble to Northern Illinois before accepting his new position.

"...academics are big, going to a school that offers a good engineering program, which is what I want to go in," Kimble said. "Syracuse definitely has that and N.C. State has that too so it’ll be a tough decision.”

The fact that NC State just landed Jacoby Brissett could help SU here.

While you don't ordinarily pocket scholarships and wait for next year to use them, why waste one on an unrated, unranked QB when you have a bunch of excellent recruiters who have just joined the staff in the last week? I recognize that most of the talent that would have been available to SU is off the board, you don't waste schollarships on a player that will never play. Better off giving that excellent recruiting staff a year to use the scholly and expect them to find a 3 or 4 star QB next year who is better than Mitch Kimble.

I know, I know, the stars mean nothing and maybe this kid is the perfect diamond in the rough that no one else, save NIU, has seen. While I recognize stars aren't everything and you can have a very good team made up of a bunch of 2 star kids with a few 3 stars mixed in, like SU, that is different from taking a kid that has never even been looked at, who is from a very small school, whose offers are not special, and whose video doesn't make you say Wow!

I was excited for Zack Allen. I am excited for Austin Wilson. I could be excited for O'Korn or Woolard. I cannot be excited for an unrated unheard of Mitch Kimble. I would hate for him to come in with some expectation that he's the replacement for Zack Allen, who participated in the Elite 11 QB challenge.

More important, does this mean O'Korn said no? I would guess so, since we would not want to take O'Korn plus Mitch Kimble with all the other QB's we have on roster and all the other holes that need to be filled.

While you don't ordinarily pocket scholarships and wait for next year to use them, why waste one on an unrated, unranked QB when you have a bunch of excellent recruiters who have just joined the staff in the last week? I recognize that most of the talent that would have been available to SU is off the board, you don't waste schollarships on a player that will never play. Better off giving that excellent recruiting staff a year to use the scholly and expect them to find a 3 or 4 star QB next year who is better than Mitch Kimble.

I know, I know, the stars mean nothing and maybe this kid is the perfect diamond in the rough that no one else, save NIU, has seen. While I recognize stars aren't everything and you can have a very good team made up of a bunch of 2 star kids with a few 3 stars mixed in, like SU, that is different from taking a kid that has never even been looked at, who is from a very small school, whose offers are not special, and whose video doesn't make you say Wow!

I was excited for Zack Allen. I am excited for Austin Wilson. I could be excited for O'Korn or Woolard. I cannot be excited for an unrated unheard of Mitch Kimble. I would hate for him to come in with some expectation that he's the replacement for Zack Allen, who participated in the Elite 11 QB challenge.

More important, does this mean O'Korn said no? I would guess so, since we would not want to take O'Korn plus Mitch Kimble with all the other QB's we have on roster and all the other holes that need to be filled.
If we offered him, then he rated highly in our staff's evaluation of him. It doesn't matter how Rivals/Scout ranks one of these recruits if they get offered. That means they passed a threshold in our rating system.

We wouldn't have offered him if he didn't reach that point.

You need to consider the depth at QB. Loeb will graduate and Kinder might as well. If Broyld isn't a QB that would leave Hunt and Wilson as the only two quarterbacks. Even if Kimble never starts a game he may be an important backup and scout team player. Also the MAC schools have found talented unknowns at QB

You need to consider the depth at QB. Loeb will graduate and Kinder might as well. If Broyld isn't a QB that would leave Hunt and Wilson as the only two quarterbacks. Even if Kimble never starts a game he may be an important backup and scout team player. Also the MAC schools have found talented unknowns at QB
The two QB's starting the Super Bowl graduated from Delaware and Nevada.

A) coaching staffs don't "waste offers" on guys they don't think can contribute.
B) coaching staffs need all the contributors they can get ASAP to ensure roster numbers and their own personal employment when said players are upperclassmen.

A) coaching staffs don't "waste offers" on guys they don't think can contribute.
B) coaching staffs need all the contributors they can get ASAP to ensure roster numbers and their own personal employment when said players are upperclassmen.

Coaching staffs don't want to "waste" offers. They often do, such as every time an offered and signed kid doesn't contribute. There is always a sliding bar that all of their evaluations go into as to whether a kid will or will not likely contribute. Unfortunately, outside factors sometimes impact whether offers should be made to kids when the scale leads you to believe the kid probably won't be able to contribute. A small incoming class due to a coaching staff being dismantled close to national signing day and previous commits bailing is one of those factors. A new coaching staff needing to show that it is doing something to fix that situation by increasing numbers of commits is another one.

My point is that it the staff may be tempted to sign a kid that has very little shot to contribute to fix the small class size and roster numbers and to counteract in numbers and on paper at least the loss of a prized QB recruit by signing another QB recruit to replace him. The numbers on total commits and commits to QB position get fixed, but we end up without contributors down the road.

I don't know that this kid can't contribute. He might be a diamond in the rough. I hope he is and I hope, just like all of us, that if he signs, he ends up being a star at SU and taking us on to win a National Championship. I am introducing the possibility that the staff may be wasting a scholarship on someone who can't contribute and that they may be in a hectic frazzled state of trying to sign kids to at least increase numbers of signees and satisfy fans that they have replaced the loss of ZA and I am hoping they would not be tempted to do that and would instead hold the scholly for a year and show what they can do with that whole year to recruit by bringing in a 3 star or better QB next year to replace ZA.

I don't know which is the case, but it sure is fun to talk about.

Coaching staffs don't want to "waste" offers. They often do, such as every time an offered and signed kid doesn't contribute. There is always a sliding bar that all of their evaluations go into as to whether a kid will or will not likely contribute. Unfortunately, outside factors sometimes impact whether offers should be made to kids when the scale leads you to believe the kid probably won't be able to contribute. A small incoming class due to a coaching staff being dismantled close to national signing day and previous commits bailing is one of those factors. A new coaching staff needing to show that it is doing something to fix that situation by increasing numbers of commits is another one.

My point is that it the staff may be tempted to sign a kid that has very little shot to contribute to fix the small class size and roster numbers and to counteract in numbers and on paper at least the loss of a prized QB recruit by signing another QB recruit to replace him. The numbers on total commits and commits to QB position get fixed, but we end up without contributors down the road.

I don't know that this kid can't contribute. He might be a diamond in the rough. I hope he is and I hope, just like all of us, that if he signs, he ends up being a star at SU and taking us on to win a National Championship. I am introducing the possibility that the staff may be wasting a scholarship on someone who can't contribute and that they may be in a hectic frazzled state of trying to sign kids to at least increase numbers of signees and satisfy fans that they have replaced the loss of ZA and I am hoping they would not be tempted to do that and would instead hold the scholly for a year and show what they can do with that whole year to recruit by bringing in a 3 star or better QB next year to replace ZA.

That's quite a post for someone who has never seen Allen, Austin Wilson, or Mitch Kimble ever take a snap...

Ok, no more posts on here by anyone about a recrui
That's quite a post for someone who has never seen Allen, Austin Wilson, or Mitch Kimble ever take a snap...

Thanks for noticing BNoro. I'll pass it on to the rest of the board -- bnoro says "No more posting ever about recruits!" You haven't seen them play so you shouldn't comment on anything to do with them. Do I have it correct?

Thanks for noticing BNoro. I'll pass it on to the rest of the board -- bnoro says "No more posting ever about recruits!" You haven't seen them play so you shouldn't comment on anything to do with them. Do I have it correct?

I think it was about how bold you were that prompted his response. I'd be more amped for ZA or whomever too... But maybe the kid can play?

No more predictions either: ;)

I was born and raised in Rochester as a Syracuse fan and have been one all my life, but for the last 15 years, I have been living here in West Virginia and have seen every WVU game for the last several of those years. Based on what I saw out of the Mountaineers, here is what I think will happen during the Pinstripe Bowl:

1. There will be no let down for WVU. They are not happy about playing a perceived ho-hum SU in a after playing them every year in the Big East and after a possible backyard brawl with Pitt didn't materialize. They are not thrilled to play in cold, nasty, rainy/snowy NYC instead of somewhere warm and exciting. That might lead you to expect a let down. However, last years beatdown at the hands of the Orange and the closer but still miserable loss the year before at WVU will have WVU ready for vengence. Also, every WVU fan comes with a built in highlight reel of the 1992 game, 20th anniversary this year. Most WVU fans remember the date 10-17-92. They all remember what they feel was a concerted effort by the officials to screw WVU by ejecting 3 key WVU defenders vs. only 1 SU reserve OL following Marvin Graves' unsportsmanlike throwing of the football at a WVU player out of bounds after an arguable late hit that spurred on a brawl with 4 SU players stomping on a WVU defender. That was followed by a 4th down SU incomplete pass with a ridiculously late flag on the other side of the field for pass interference that kept the drive alive and an eventual Gedney TD catch to win it for SU. WVU will be into this game regardless of whether the Swartzwalder trophy is at stake.

2. Tavon Austin will dominate. He will get a bunch of carries at RB along with a good 6 or 7 short passes or shovel passes to get him the ball in space. After a 4 week losing streak that made this a lost season, WVU decided to change things up and do everything they could to win that Oklahoma game. Holgorsen recognized that Geno Smith's confidence was gone and his QB play deteriorated with a step up in defenses against him and with his own defense leaking like a sieve costing them game after game. So Holgorsen pulled out all the stops to get Tavon Austin the ball as many times as he could. The results were that Tavon Austin showed he was the most athletic and electric player on the field and could not be stopped one on one even by Oklahoma's defense. He ran 21 times for 344 yards and 2 TDs and caught 4 for 82 yards. He also returned 8 kicks for 146 yards. Thats 572 yards. The Oklahoma game was a pull out all the stops, gotta win it game for WVU. They didn't, but Austin was incredible. This is the end of Austin's college career and WVU wants its seniors to go out at least with a bowl win and WVU will give Austin every chance to single handedly win this game.

3. Smith, PTG and AAM will be frustrated. WVU's defense against the run is pretty good. There is no one in Orange with breakaway speed to get through the hole and then make people miss. The big bodies up front will bottle things up pretty well and SU will focus on the pass.

4. Nassib will have a better game than Geno Smith. Its a shock to say it given the beginning of the year Heisman hype, but Nassib improved throughout the year and Geno Smith looked lost after his confidence was dented once Big 12 conference play started. Geno rebounded for an awesome day against Kansas last week of the season, but SU's defense is exactly the type of defense Smith has trouble with -- hard hitting, physical and aggressive. Put Smith's issues together with the fact that SU's defense is much better than WVU's defense and Nassib's numbers will be better than Geno's. WVU's secondary is damn near the worst in FBS football. While many SU fans are not pleased with SU's secondary (particularly the safeties), WVU's secondary was much worse. Once conference games started, it seemed that no one on WVU's defense knew what the set was. WVU's opposing WRs had wide open looks on seemingly every play. An effective QB could and would routinely scorch them. WVU's WRs are an impressive bunch -- Steadman Bailey (1500 yards and 24 TDs, which is 7 more than anyone else in the country!), Austin and JD Woods can catch the ball well and run after the catch with some of the best in the country, but Geno Smith folds with pressure and as he gets uncomfortable, his throws get more and more off target. The key will be getting pressure on him, not even sacks, but hurries, and I think the Orange D-line will be able to do that. Spruill's loss (assuming eligible doesn't mean playing) will be felt, particularly when Austin runs through the linebackers, but Lemon, Sales, West et al. will be open all day and Nassib will have plenty of time to hit them with Pugh continuing to make the line a cohesive and effective unit. The SU OL's improvement throughout the year will continue and they will look great in the bowl game on pass protect against a weak WVU pass rush.

5. Special Teams can easily decide this game. Austin is a game changer on kicks as well as on offense. The best thing SU can do is kick it away from Austin to keep it out of his hands. WVU's special teams are better than SUs, even with SU's special teams improvement later in the season. That happens when one team has a game breaking superior athlete and the other doesn't. This is on Dougie to play it smart and not give Austin the chance.

6. This will be a shootout and if SU can play merely adequate special teams, WVU's lack of any kind of secondary will cost them the game. WVU has already fired its secondary coach even before the bowl game is played. That will have absolutely zero chance of improving the secondary. Holgorsen can't get rid of the defensive coordinator Deforest, though, because he's a friend and Holgorsen begged him to come north and take on a DC position and Holgs can't get rid of him after only 1 season.

SU wins 45.42.

The fact is, we're all guessing. They HAVE evaluated. If they think he's worth a scholly, so be it. Doesn't preclude them from bringing in another kid or two next year.

Not at all. I'm all for discussion but you're talking stuff about this kid saying we are "wasting an offer" and that our staff should be "bringing in a 3 star or better QB next year to replace ZA."

We don't use the star system when our staff recruits. We rate our recruits on a 50 point scale and if they grade over a certain number they are given an offer to our program. So in our rating system, Kimble obviously broke that threshold.

If you watch the same amount of game film as our staff, I'll defer to your opinion. But otherwise, maybe you should consider some recruits read these boards, and maybe Kimble doesn't appreciate you saying he "isn't worth an offer".

I think the fact that the former-NIU-coach-now-NCState-coach wants to bring the kid with him to NC State shows that he can play.

I get what you're saying but assuming/hoping the staff doesn't offer based on knee jerk reactions. Could've been someone they had rated just behind Wilson and Allen and when a spot came open they got after it.

Northern Illinois produces some good players and the fact that NC State is also after Kimble makes him seem like a legit prospect.

No more predictions either: ;)

Wow! It is remarkable how off I was. In fact, every one of my predictions was wrong, except maybe Nassib outperforming Geno, but obviously that wasn't the factor I thought it would be. I gotta say I was loving every bit of that cold, rainy then snowy day at the Pinstripe! I was far too happy to be cold and I'm glad SU beat WVU a lot worse than the close win I predicted. Thanks JJReddawg for the reminder!

Not at all. I'm all for discussion but you're talking stuff about this kid saying we are "wasting an offer" and that our staff should be "bringing in a 3 star or better QB next year to replace ZA."

We don't use the star system when our staff recruits. We rate our recruits on a 50 point scale and if they grade over a certain number they are given an offer to our program. So in our rating system, Kimble obviously broke that threshold.

If you watch the same amount of game film as our staff, I'll defer to your opinion. But otherwise, maybe you should consider some recruits read these boards, and maybe Kimble doesn't appreciate you saying he "isn't worth an offer".

Bnoro, you are right. I didn't so much mean to talk

Wow! It is remarkable how off I was. In fact, every one of my predictions was wrong, except maybe Nassib outperforming Geno, but obviously that wasn't the factor I thought it would be. I gotta say I was loving every bit of that cold, rainy then snowy day at the Pinstripe! I was far too happy to be cold and I'm glad SU beat WVU a lot worse than the close win I predicted. Thanks JJReddawg for the reminder!

Hey at least you owned it. I was wrong on some predictions this year as well, like Cuse going 13-0.

Bnoro, you are right. I haven't seen Kimble play or any of the other recruits. I haven't seen any of the recruits live in a HS game. You are right that the staff has seen them all likely live and on tons of tape. I certainly wouldn't put myself on a level with most of you on this board, let alone the staff, in evaluating recruits. I don't have any idea whether Kimble can help and I hope he can. I hope the staff is correct in its evaluation of him, that he signs, comes here and excels.

I didn't so much mean to talk stuff about Kimble as say that I hope the staff isn't just trying to add numbers and a QB for the sake of replacing what's gone on paper and the short term benefit versus long term cost of that. I agree there is a big difference between saying what I intended and my first post on the issue.

Pardon the interruption.

I think the fact that the former-NIU-coach-now-NCState-coach wants to bring the kid with him to NC State shows that he can play.

Fair point, they think he can play at that ACC level.

I'm not sure the Cincinnati coach has re-recruited any of his kids to Tennessee.

Bnoro, you are right. I haven't seen Kimble play or any of the other recruits. I haven't seen any of the recruits live in a HS game. You are right that the staff has seen them all likely live and on tons of tape. I certainly wouldn't put myself on a level with most of you on this board, let alone the staff, in evaluating recruits. I don't have any idea whether Kimble can help and I hope he can. I hope the staff is correct in its evaluation of him, that he signs, comes here and excels.

I didn't so much mean to talk stuff about Kimble as say that I hope the staff isn't just trying to add numbers and a QB for the sake of replacing what's gone on paper and the short term benefit versus long term cost of that. I agree there is a big difference between saying what I intended and my first post on the issue.

Pardon the interruption.
Was that so hard? :p

I think our staff had every intention of offering 2 QB's this year, because I don't think the Ashton experiment will end in him being a QB. That means after Loeb graduates next season, we would have Hunt, Kinder, and Wilson on the roster. That's woefully thin. We'll still be in a position to offer another QB next season as well.

I wish it had the stats to back it up but star system means crap when I comes to qb play... System and coaching is what it comes down too... Two stars qb 4 star qb no difference... If we're talking a d lineman than yes as speed and strength huge factor... F the star system when it comes to rating qb play... I believe in shaf

Ask yourself people Ryan Nassib vs. Tom Savage? I guess star rankings say that we were better off if we had gotten Savage. I trust the staffs evaluation.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom