'Cuse in lead for QB... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse in lead for QB...

Come on...just revisit this when the last of Marrones guys have left. Then you can have a real comparison. Pretty sure not a lot of people thought GROB was going to have much of anybody in the NFL
That is fair...and as far as DM's final chapter, it has yet to be written as we will see how his recruiting performs on the field in the next few years.

The best development story maybe yet to come... Dyshawn Davis.

How many thought that he would be on the track that he is now to being an All-ACC selection next year? Not bad for a 2 star slow WR from prep school.

Credit will go to both Marrone and Shafer staffs when his time is done.

I know. Still one of the worst LB's i've ever seen. The lack of speed with him, mele, and flaherty was laughable. They looked like DIII players out there while everyone ran past them.

I dont disagree, the LB's at that time were absolutely horrendous. I dont remember exactly which year it was but when we had Mele, Flaherty and Giruzzi out there I literally thought we had the worst group of Div 1A linebackers in that nation that year. I was at Utica College in 05 and there LB's were as good and that was a start up D3 program then.

Here's the thing - if we start reeling in higher ranked players nobody's going to be pining for the days when we took pride in finding diamonds in the rough. There's nothing wrong with selectively bringing guys in that are under the radar. If most of your class goes under the radar you're probably going to struggle.

I think people want to see the talent level on the team increase. You have to ask yourself which the more likely path to that happening will be - that we get better at evaluating and signing players that other programs have missed on, or that we start reeling in more guys that are rated highly by the services? My guess is we're close to capping out on how well we can bring in under the radar guys, but are nowhere near our potential to snag bigger fish yet.

Art Jones 3 Star in 2005, Chandler Jones 2 Star in 2008 the scouts were really right on weren't they?

I dont disagree, the LB's at that time were absolutely horrendous. I dont remember exactly which year it was but when we had Mele, Flaherty and Giruzzi out there I literally thought we had the worst group of Div 1A linebackers in that nation that year. I was at Utica College in 05 and there LB's were as good and that was a start up D3 program then.

I believe you're thinking of 2007 when we had Flaherty, Giruzzi, Maljovek starting. Watching Jake Locker run around them for roughly 3 quarters (I stopped watching after that) was a cold hard slap of reality in the face about the state of SU football. I'm not going to blame the coach who recruited those 3, but that was basically the best the program could recruit around 2004. I'm sure they are all good people, I know Flaherty can belt out a National Anthem with the best of them. Unfortunate reality is that he probably shouldn't have been on the field after that wonderful song ended.

I believe you're thinking of 2007 when we had Flaherty, Giruzzi, Maljovek starting. Watching Jake Locker run around them for roughly 3 quarters (I stopped watching after that) was a cold hard slap of reality in the face about the state of SU football. I'm not going to blame the coach who recruited those 3, but that was basically the best the program could recruit around 2004. I'm sure they are all good people, I know Flaherty can belt out a National Anthem with the best of them. Unfortunate reality is that he probably shouldn't have been on the field after that wonderful song ended.

Ya I was pretty sure it was either 06 or 07, Ugh the Washington game was a nightmare I never want to relive again. After that game I knew Grob was not the answer, god what a nightmare that was.

Art Jones 3 Star in 2005, Chandler Jones 2 Star in 2008 the scouts were really right on weren't they?
Only problem is there isn't another younger brother in the Jones family!

It was during that game that a prominent figure at SU turned to me and whispered you can't win with DIII players. That was tough as we had a whole season to play. We did however have the shocker against Louisville where we were something like 34 point underdogs. Other than that it was as dreadful a season as I have ever lived through.

That is fair...and as far as DM's final chapter, it has yet to be written as we will see how his recruiting performs on the field in the next few years.

The trouble with that is, maybe HCDM's staff. As just really good at developing GRob's guys. Or maybe HCSS will be vey bad at developing HCDM's guys. It's just not that black and white.

It isn't black or white you're right A4SU. Marrone did well with some of GRobs better recruits and filling the rest of the roster with more talent, speed and size helped those guys succeed as well...also add better coaching. IMO...Marrone and his staff weren't perfect and they missed on some recruits and probably screwed up switching kids positions as well, for need or just evaluation, but overall they did a very nice job, especially at the o-line.

Our guys looked like they were running in the mud while the other teams looked like they had a fast track back in the grob days and what is nice is that Shafer doesn't have to "cut" kids like Marrone did when he got here. What is also nice is that it isn't a year that we have to get 25 or so recruits due to a mass graduation...that is the one timing thing that turned out well for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom