'Cuse in lead for QB... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse in lead for QB...

I hope they keep G-Rob's recruiting system and previous staffs' development system :)
Right, exactly what we need, 4 star recruits like Lavar Lobdell, Averin Collier, and Andray Baskin...

Right, exactly what we need, 4 star recruits like Lavar Lobdell, Averin Collier, and Andray Baskin...

Delone Carter, Ryan Nassib, Chandler jones, Justin Pugh, Alec Lemon, Doug Hogue, Antwon Bailey, Jameel Mclain?, Marcus Sales, Nick Provo?, Nick Speller, Jeremy Horne, Derrell Smith. Most of those are or will be NFL players and were very productive in college. Let's see how many Marrone recruits make the NFL. How many do you see?

Delone Carter, Ryan Nassib, Chandler jones, Justin Pugh, Alec Lemon, Doug Hogue, Antwon Bailey, Jameel Mclain?, Marcus Sales, Nick Provo?, Nick Speller, Jeremy Horne, Derrell Smith. Most of those are or will be NFL players and were very productive in college. Let's see how many Marrone recruits make the NFL. How many do you see?

It was a joke.

I hope they keep G-Rob's recruiting system and previous staffs' development system :)

Robinson brought in a handful of good players in 4 years. This stuff about his loading up the cupboard is a myth.

Robinson brought in a handful of good players in 4 years. This stuff about his loading up the cupboard is a myth.

As is the myth that the cupboard was totally bare

Now you say it's a joke b/c you didn't sound as smart as you think you are
:rolleyes:

If you really think Gerg's recruiting classes were better than Doug's in terms of depth and impact players I'm a little surprised. My original comment was very tongue in cheek.

But you really can't give Gerg credit for the development of most of those players. I'd give you credit for Delone. But Gerg didn't recruit McClain. Lemon didn't play a down under him. Neither did Nassib, or Chan. Hogue and Smith didn't really get a shot until Doug moved them. Speller is going to the NFL? News to me. Provo was good but it took him 4 years and a TE-heavy playbook to get there.

Actual Marrone recruits going to the NFL would be Shamarko this year, and Bromley, Rome, Lyn, and Ri'Shard (if he continues to progress next year). And that's just next season

McClain and Horne were brought here by Pasqualoni.

If you really think Gerg's recruiting classes were better than Doug's in terms of depth and impact players I'm a little surprised. My original comment was very tongue in cheek.

But you really can't give Gerg credit for the development of most of those players. I'd give you credit for Delone. But Gerg didn't recruit McClain. Lemon didn't play a down under him. Neither did Nassib, or Chan. Hogue and Smith didn't really get a shot until Doug moved them. Speller is going to the NFL? News to me. Provo was good but it took him 4 years and a TE-heavy playbook to get there.

Actual Marrone recruits going to the NFL would be Shamarko this year, and Bromley, Rome, Lyn, and Ri'Shard (if he continues to progress next year). And that's just next season

Phil Thomas last year.

So were the Robinson years and no one is laughing at that either.
Talent is just a part of the big picture. Robinson had an eye for talent and no clue how to coach his staff or his players. That is why he failed.

Talent is just a part of the big picture. Robinson had an eye for talent and no clue how to coach his staff or his players. That is why he failed.
He did not have an "eye for talent".

Otherwise, our starting defense wouldn't have included Nico Scott, Vincenzo Girruzzi, Mike Mele, Mike Stenclik, the list goes on and on...

He may have, I don't know. It's also possible he was a pretty decent closer and he was a pretty good guy and I'm sure a lot of that came across to recruits, along with that super bowl ring of his.

You need to consider the depth at QB. Loeb will graduate and Kinder might as well. If Broyld isn't a QB that would leave Hunt and Wilson as the only two quarterbacks. Even if Kimble never starts a game he may be an important backup and scout team player. Also the MAC schools have found talented unknowns at QB

Big Ben: Miami of Ohio.

I was also half-joking, hence the smiley by my original post.

However, IMO the difference in recruiting b/w marrone and g-rob was negligible and not what it has been made out to be. The problem w/ G-Rob was everything else, including player development, as also mentioned in my original post. Speller has a decent shot at the NFL-He has NFL interest. Too bad marrone chased him and Horne away-Could've been the difference b/w a BCS game and the pinstripe bowl.

I think Lyn and Bromley will play in the NFL, not sure about the others you mentioned-Definitely rooting for them.

Otherwise, our starting defense wouldn't have included Nico Scott, Vincenzo Girruzzi, Mike Mele, Mike Stenclik, the list goes on and on...
Easy to bang on these kids and call them busts, when they weren't touted at all anyway, and had they had a better coaching staff, who knows. The perception of that time period was we were really bad, and that is pretty much it, and the kids that played during that time took the rap. College football players is about an opportunity. We sucked so bad then, there wasn't an opportunity for a coached up player, and my case and point is GR went on to Michigan where there is always talent and couldn't coach there either. No, GR couldn't coach up, and that is what we need at SU, Coaches that can make players take those next steps.

Come on...just revisit this when the last of Marrones guys have left. Then you can have a real comparison. Pretty sure not a lot of people thought GROB was going to have much of anybody in the NFL

San Francisco has 12 players from non-traditional powers on their active roster

DB Tramaine Brock Bellhaven College
LB Clark Haggans Colo St
RB Jewel Hampton So Ill
G Mike Iupati Idaho
QB Colin Kaepernick Nevada
T Daniel Kilgore Appalachian St
WR Randy Moss Marshall
NT Issac Sopoaga Hawaii
DB CJ Spillman Marshall
T Joe Staley Central Michigan
TE Delanie Walker Central Missouri State
LB Michael Wilhotite Washburn

Practice Squad

DT Lamar Divens Tenn St
WR Ricardo Lockette Fort Valley State

Roster

Baltimore has 16 from non-traditional schools on their active roster

C Matt Birk Harvard
S Omar Brown Marshall
QB Joe Flacco Deleware
C/G Gino Gradkowski Deleware
CB Corey Graham New Hampshire
DT Bryan Hall Arkansas St
OLB Adrian Hamilton Prarie View A&M
T Ramon Harewood Morehouse
SS James Ihedigbo UMass
CB/RS Asa Jackson Cal Poly
WR/RS Jacoby Jones Lane
FB Vonta Leach East Carolina
LB Albert McClellan Marshall
RB Bernard Pierce Temple
RB Ray Rice Rutgers
CB Cary Williams Washburn

Injured Reserve 5 of 13 from non-traditional powers

S Anthony Levine Tenn St
RB Bobby Rainey Western Kentucky
T Jah Reid Central Florida
S Christian Thompson So Carolina St
CB/RS Lardarius Webb Nicholls St

Practice Squad 2 of 8

LB DJ Bryant James Madison
LB Nigel Carr Alabama St

Roster

That's 26% of the two teams combined active rosters that came from mostly non BCS schools

Wow!

And note that none of those players listed are Kickers.

Ask yourself people Ryan Nassib vs. Tom Savage? I guess star rankings say that we were better off if we had gotten Savage. I trust the staffs evaluation.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

To be fair, Savage may have been great if Shafer didn't borderline criminally assault him on a November evening back in 2009.

This thread turned into GRob vs Marrone? Hi-larious.

I look forward to Marrone vs Shafer. Sooner than later.

This thread turned into GRob vs Marrone? Hi-larious.

I look forward to Marrone vs Shafer. Sooner than later.

And then the Shafer vs Saban threads...I'm really looking forward to those as well!

Just to be fair Stenclik had some pretty big offers including Miami.

Just to be fair Stenclik had some pretty big offers including Miami.
I know. Still one of the worst LB's i've ever seen. The lack of speed with him, mele, and flaherty was laughable. They looked like DIII players out there while everyone ran past them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom