'Cuse in lead for QB... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse in lead for QB...

I wish it had the stats to back it up but star system means crap when I comes to qb play... System and coaching is what it comes down too... Two stars qb 4 star qb no difference... If we're talking a d lineman than yes as speed and strength huge factor... F the star system when it comes to rating qb play... I believe in shaf

Johnny (Football) Manziel was only a 3-star. I believe he turned out okay.

While you don't ordinarily pocket scholarships and wait for next year to use them, why waste one on an unrated, unranked QB when you have a bunch of excellent recruiters who have just joined the staff in the last week? I recognize that most of the talent that would have been available to SU is off the board, you don't waste schollarships on a player that will never play. Better off giving that excellent recruiting staff a year to use the scholly and expect them to find a 3 or 4 star QB next year who is better than Mitch Kimble.

I know, I know, the stars mean nothing and maybe this kid is the perfect diamond in the rough that no one else, save NIU, has seen. While I recognize stars aren't everything and you can have a very good team made up of a bunch of 2 star kids with a few 3 stars mixed in, like SU, that is different from taking a kid that has never even been looked at, who is from a very small school, whose offers are not special, and whose video doesn't make you say Wow!

I was excited for Zack Allen. I am excited for Austin Wilson. I could be excited for O'Korn or Woolard. I cannot be excited for an unrated unheard of Mitch Kimble. I would hate for him to come in with some expectation that he's the replacement for Zack Allen, who participated in the Elite 11 QB challenge.

More important, does this mean O'Korn said no? I would guess so, since we would not want to take O'Korn plus Mitch Kimble with all the other QB's we have on roster and all the other holes that need to be filled.
This guy might have been #3 on our board, and when we got the other 2, we didn't persue. What was ZA rated when we recruited him

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

If we offered him, then he rated highly in our staff's evaluation of him. It doesn't matter how Rivals/Scout ranks one of these recruits if they get offered. That means they passed a threshold in our rating system.

We wouldn't have offered him if he didn't reach that point.

I think "our" rating system though can slide based upon need and deadline looming. I doubt Kimble would have made the grade if we were able to rate him at the beginning of the recruiting system. But, I understand your viewpoint.

This guy might have been #3 on our board, and when we got the other 2, we didn't persue. What was ZA rated when we recruited him

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
I have a feeling that the staff has Kimble rated ahead of O'Korn.

I've watched both of their videos and it's pretty obvious that O'Korn played against much better competition but I think Kimble might have a higher ceiling. Either would be a great get for our offensive system.

I think "our" rating system though can slide based upon need and deadline looming. I doubt Kimble would have made the grade if we were able to rate him at the beginning of the recruiting system. But, I understand your viewpoint.
You also have to assume that the rating system and numbers given to guys - as a subjective system - was reshuffled somewhat when new coaches came in with their own bias and views of potential recruits. Hackett's QB with a 45 rating is more than likely not going to be viewed exactly the same by McDonald.

From what I understand the kid is a very good athlete and IF for some reason he doesn't cut it at QB he could be moved to another position. Try doing that with a slow drop back passer that doesn't pan out... there's a wasted scholarship! Hell, we have 4 QB's (including Ashton) that haven't done anything yet on the SU football field so the next couple years will be very interesting to watch unfold.

From what I understand the kid is a very good athlete and IF for some reason he doesn't cut it at QB he could be moved to another position. Try doing that with a slow drop back passer that doesn't pan out... there's a wasted scholarship! Hell, we have 4 QB's (including Ashton) that haven't done anything yet on the SU football field so the next couple years will be very interesting to watch unfold.
I posted a player of the week blurb that the local newspaper gave him on one of these threads - too lazy to go find it. I think he had a couple hundred yards passing, almost that many rushing and averaged 62 yards on 4 punts.

bnoro, well said. OK to have opinions on these things, but the bottom line is that the coaches are the professionals here. It is their jobs that are on the line and they analyze film and talk with hs coaches. Gotta trust their opinion on these things. I have always felt that football recruiting is a bit of a crap shoot. With the QB position, you need some numbers just in case you miss on a player. What ever happened to the QB that was so highly touted from Colorada? Well rated but never touched the field. Jury is still out on all our QB's.

is O Korn coming for a visit until I see his name somewhere saying hes coming over next 2 weeks, he'll prob stay houston

the kornster is hanging at the galleria for the next four years

Ask yourself people Ryan Nassib vs. Tom Savage? I guess star rankings say that we were better off if we had gotten Savage. I trust the staffs evaluation.

Exactly. The word "stars" truly pisses me off. How many "stars" we're Flacco & Kaepernick? Oh yeah, they happened to be the starting QB's in the Super Bowl. Flacco has thrown 8 tds, 0 ints in the postseason. CP ran for 181 yards against GB, which happened to break the NFL single game QB rushing record.

Both these guys are studs, but it can't be... They didn't have 4 or 5 "stars".

Nassib was 2 stars and is potentially a 1st-2nd rd pick in a few months.

"Stars" = BS politics. Good coaches know how to identify true talent, regardless of what the "stars" police say.

I would love to see a complete list of all 2012-2013 NFL players and their star rankings coming out of high school. Now that would be very interesting and revealing. Also a review of where are they now rankings over the past decade of 5, 4, 3 & 2 stars.

I would love to see a complete list of all 2012-2013 NFL players and their star rankings coming out of high school. Now that would be very interesting and revealing. Also a review of where are they now rankings over the past decade of 5, 4, 3 & 2 stars.
I have seen this sort of thing done in articles in the past. Going off memory, not surprisingly the majority of the first round talents were highly ranked out of HS. After that, its a crap shoot. Listen to the starting line-ups on the games where each player is shown and says where he went to school. A lot of times more than half of the starters are from 'non-traditional' football schools - and it seems to cut across all positions.

Did you happen to see what Harbaugh did out in SF last week? He put a sign up over every locker with the player's HS picture and their recruiting rankings. Showed where you can get with hard work.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/0...ugh-finds-motivation-in-high-school-pictures/

Based on the new coordinator press conference, anyone think we are going to be running the option?

If so, Kimble has the athleticism to be a real threat. Maybe he just means the read option, but having Kimble's running ability will still be advantageous.

As for the "wasting schollies" I would also say that sometimes even coaches make mistakes. Even if the kid was slightly "below grade" if you have a need at the position you take him and coach him up or hope you were wrong. It's much better than the cupboard being empty or the only options you have being busts. There is a bit of a numbers game to consider. The more QBs you have, the better your chances are for hitting a home run.

San Francisco has 12 players from non-traditional powers on their active roster

DB Tramaine Brock Bellhaven College
LB Clark Haggans Colo St
RB Jewel Hampton So Ill
G Mike Iupati Idaho
QB Colin Kaepernick Nevada
T Daniel Kilgore Appalachian St
WR Randy Moss Marshall
NT Issac Sopoaga Hawaii
DB CJ Spillman Marshall
T Joe Staley Central Michigan
TE Delanie Walker Central Missouri State
LB Michael Wilhotite Washburn

Practice Squad

DT Lamar Divens Tenn St
WR Ricardo Lockette Fort Valley State

Roster

Baltimore has 16 from non-traditional schools on their active roster

C Matt Birk Harvard
S Omar Brown Marshall
QB Joe Flacco Deleware
C/G Gino Gradkowski Deleware
CB Corey Graham New Hampshire
DT Bryan Hall Arkansas St
OLB Adrian Hamilton Prarie View A&M
T Ramon Harewood Morehouse
SS James Ihedigbo UMass
CB/RS Asa Jackson Cal Poly
WR/RS Jacoby Jones Lane
FB Vonta Leach East Carolina
LB Albert McClellan Marshall
RB Bernard Pierce Temple
RB Ray Rice Rutgers
CB Cary Williams Washburn

Injured Reserve 5 of 13 from non-traditional powers

S Anthony Levine Tenn St
RB Bobby Rainey Western Kentucky
T Jah Reid Central Florida
S Christian Thompson So Carolina St
CB/RS Lardarius Webb Nicholls St

Practice Squad 2 of 8

LB DJ Bryant James Madison
LB Nigel Carr Alabama St

Roster

That's 26% of the two teams combined active rosters that came from mostly non BCS schools

Wow!

A high school QB is a hard position to evaluate. Heck, I remember Sims or Boomer Eiason saying McNabb would never make it in the NFL due to playing in an option system. The kid could have bad coaching, poor talent around them, in the wrong system, girlfriend broke up with him the day people were there to look/grade him...there are a plethora of reasons and it goes both ways for the high rated guys as well. Just look at Texas, OSU and Penn State...they have had their share of high rated qb's and been either ruining them or they just were plain and simply went by the stars/hype and they were overrrated.

I like the fact we have some former qb's on the staff and hopefully they see things that a lot of the things they want and need for the offense to have success.

Exactly. The word "stars" truly pisses me off. How many "stars" we're Flacco & Kaepernick? Oh yeah, they happened to be the starting QB's in the Super Bowl. Flacco has thrown 8 tds, 0 ints in the postseason. CP ran for 181 yards against GB, which happened to break the NFL single game QB rushing record.

Both these guys are studs, but it can't be... They didn't have 4 or 5 "stars".

Nassib was 2 stars and is potentially a 1st-2nd rd pick in a few months.

"Stars" = BS politics. Good coaches know how to identify true talent, regardless of what the "stars" police say.
actually, Flacco was a pretty highly rated HS QB when he signed with Pitt - had a bunch of good offers - he wasn't some unknown kid that went straight to the Blue Hens

Kaepernick is a great example of what you're talking about though - all the PAC10 teams passed on him as did Boise State

San Francisco has 12 players from non-traditional powers on their active roster

DB Tramaine Brock Bellhaven College
LB Clark Haggans Colo St
RB Jewel Hampton So Ill
G Mike Iupati Idaho
QB Colin Kaepernick Nevada
T Daniel Kilgore Appalachian St
WR Randy Moss Marshall
NT Issac Sopoaga Hawaii
DB CJ Spillman Marshall
T Joe Staley Central Michigan
TE Delanie Walker Central Missouri State
LB Michael Wilhotite Washburn

Practice Squad

DT Lamar Divens Tenn St
WR Ricardo Lockette Fort Valley State

Roster

C Matt Birk Harvard
S Omar Brown Marshall
QB Joe Flacco Deleware
SS James Ihedigbo UMass
WR/RS Jacoby Jones Lane
RB Bernard Pierce Temple
RB Ray Rice Rutgers

S Anthony Levine Tenn St

Practice Squad 2 of 8

LB Nigel Carr Alabama St

Roster

That's 26% of the two teams combined active rosters that came from mostly non BCS schools

Wow!

I see what you did there. I applaud you sir!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actually, Flacco was a pretty highly rated HS QB when he signed with Pitt - had a bunch of good offers - he wasn't some unknown kid that went straight to the Blue Hens

Kaepernick is a great example of what you're talking about though - all the PAC10 teams passed on him as did Boise State

That was goofy...he has size and can throw a baseball 90 mph so I would be surprised that schools looked the other way...it could have been grades or the fact that he was drafted by MLB that caused the lack of offers. To me that's a boat load of stupid if you have a guy that tall and can throw that hard with his speed. Again this goes to show what type of program you have in high school helping you be recognized plus the hype factor.

C Matt Birk Harvard
S Omar Brown Marshall
QB Joe Flacco Deleware
SS James Ihedigbo UMass
WR/RS Jacoby Jones Lane
RB Bernard Pierce Temple
RB Ray Rice Rutgers

S Anthony Levine Tenn St

Practice Squad 2 of 8

LB Nigel Carr Alabama St

Roster

Wow!
Thanks for the laugh!

If we offered him, then he rated highly in our staff's evaluation of him. It doesn't matter how Rivals/Scout ranks one of these recruits if they get offered. That means they passed a threshold in our rating system.

We wouldn't have offered him if he didn't reach that point.
Bnoro, was the staff's evaluation method something Marrone established? I know it was a point system and all, but I'm curious if it'll be tweaked or anything with Shafer... unless, of course, it was his to begin with.

Bnoro, was the staff's evaluation method something Marrone established? I know it was a point system and all, but I'm curious if it'll be tweaked or anything with Shafer... unless, of course, it was his to begin with.
not sure who established it (think it was Dougie or Adkins) but I really hope (and expect) that Shafer would continue to use it based on previous results.

not sure who established it (think it was Dougie or Adkins) but I really hope (and expect) that Shafer would continue to use it based on previous results.

I hope they keep G-Rob's recruiting system and previous staffs' development system :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom