Dan Mullen | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Georgia beat Florida last year 42-20.

Georgia beat Florida this year 43-20.

Maybe the next coach will be the one.

Dan Mullen hates recruiting and that's what Syracuse needs. He wouldn't work.
What is this obsession with the HC loving recruiting? You hire assistants for that. At a maximum the HC should maybe be used as a closer if needed.

Unless you’re saying he just didn’t want his staff to recruit or focus on recruiting at all. Then yeah that’s a problem.

What is this obsession with the HC loving recruiting? You hire assistants for that. At a maximum the HC should maybe be used as a closer if needed.

Unless you’re saying he just didn’t want his staff to recruit or focus on recruiting at all. Then yeah that’s a problem.
I think most head coaches loathe recruiting ... doesn't mean he didn't do it. UF had some really good classes under Mullen ... it's a nothing burger.

I think most head coaches loathe recruiting ... doesn't mean he didn't do it. UF had some really good classes under Mullen ... it's a nothing burger.
Yeah I mean I don’t really even get the comment.

in translation, he’s not a good recruiter and would be even worse here. Probably not a good fit. Mullen was the right hire for miss st 15 years ago or whenever he went there. He’s kind of past his prime, IMO not because of his age or that his name doesn’t still mean something but because he has no juice as a coach. He’s boring, he suck’s at recruiting and his schemes are dated. we would have pay him serious $ for 6 win seasons, imo.

Last edited:
in translation, he’s not a good recruiter and would be even worse here. Probably not a good fit. Mullen was the right hire for miss st 15 years ago or whenever he went there. He’s kind of past his prime, IMO not because of his age or that his name doesn’t still mean something but because he has no juice as a coach. He’s boring, he suck’s at recruiting and his schemes are dated. we would have pay him serious $ for 6 win seasons, imo.
Agreed just because he had a cup of coffee 100 years ago at the Jerusalem Cafe doesn't make him the best choice.

Why did Syracuse fire Pasqualoni? Good coaches get fired. It happens.

He did a lot with a little at Miss St and that's the kind of track record we need.
P was fired because members of the BOT didn’t feel that he was winning enough games.

Perhaps the powers that be at Florida felt that given the resources he had available to him, Dan Mullen wasn’t winning enough games.

If he dislikes something so much, then I’d expect him to keep his ESPN gig and not coach again. Clearly recruiting is a big part of running a program. He is a football guy, he was volunteering with a high school football team last year just for the fun of it.

Call him this morning make it happen.

Yeah I know it’s a 99% chance that won’t happen. But I would try and strike a deal today. You want to create buzz? You want to sell seats? Do your job JW. In this modern day and age you have to grow a pair get your donors on board to help buyout the contract and sell them on a proven nationally known coach.
Dan Mullen was dancing like a pre-teen to Enter Sandman prior to the VT game. Yes, he was enjoying the moment, but also yes, it left me thinking he was dancing on SUs future corpse and likely not in any conversations about our soon-to-be coaching vacancy.

Maybe Mullen couldn't recruit that well in the south because he wasn't from the south. Maybe he would have just the opposite results recruiting the northeast. I think him being a former SEC coach would be a thing for a lot of recruits from Jersey, Pa. and the DMV.

If he dislikes something so much, then I’d expect him to keep his ESPN gig and not coach again. Clearly recruiting is a big part of running a program. He is a football guy, he was volunteering with a high school football team last year just for the fun of it.

This whole concept of him not liking recruiting comes from his 3rd class being ranked 12th nationally after his first 2 being in the top 10 and that he didn’t attack the transfer portal one year because he was looking at NFL jobs. Which sounds like speculation. That’s the sum of it.

This whole concept of him not liking recruiting comes from his 3rd class being ranked 12th nationally after his first 2 being in the top 10 and that he didn’t attack the transfer portal one year because he was looking at NFL jobs. Which sounds like speculation. That’s the sum of it.
I don’t agree with it either. I mean the dude got MSU relevant. I think he really loves college football and football in general. I have no doubt he’d put the effort in.

I don’t agree with it either. I mean the dude got MSU relevant. I think he really loves college football and football in general. I have no doubt he’d put the effort in.
Too big a risk, and I am a fan of Mullen. Can’t be committing $5M+ for 6+ years with no way out.

Sadly that is where SU is at as a program. If we cannot afford the buyout, we shouldn’t make the offer. Dino should be a lesson to never get stuck again. These schools have more leverage than the realize.

Too big a risk, and I am a fan of Mullen. Can’t be committing $5M+ for 6+ years with no way out.

Sadly that is where SU is at as a program. If we cannot afford the buyout, we shouldn’t make the offer. Dino should be a lesson to never get stuck again. These schools have more leverage than the realize.
Don’t disagree about the money side of things, but basically comparing candidates against Nick Saban or Steve Spurrier as if we can afford Nick Saban or Steve Spurrier is pretty pointless.

If we could get Mullen and the dollars and years line up then we should do that all day long.

Dino never proved he could build a program though. Mullen has a proven track record and is a good coach. He is likely to go back to the SEC before here though.

Don’t disagree about the money side of things, but basically comparing candidates against Nick Saban or Steve Spurrier as if we can afford Nick Saban or Steve Spurrier is pretty pointless.

If we could get Mullen and the dollars and years line up then we should do that all day long.

Agree but I don’t see it lining up. He has leverage so he is likely going to want 7-8 years. SU really can’t afford him more than 5. A lower level HC we can afford 6-7 years.

Thats what I'm saying. It wasn't a focus for them.

Agree but I don’t see it lining up. He has leverage so he is likely going to want 7-8 years. SU really can’t afford him more than 5. A lower level HC we can afford 6-7 years.
So we shouldn’t take a proven winner because it’s a gamble but we should Risk it on another unproven coach in a sub division who no one knows. Yeah that’s worked really well for us. Robinson, Shafer, Dino. We need a proven winner now. In 8 years it won’t matter if he busts out. The acc will probably be gone and if we don’t turn this around in a hurry we have no chance in staying in a relative conference. They need to put all their chips on one hand like our future depends on it. Do we go with another gamble or do you hire someone who has won a lot.

So we shouldn’t take a proven winner because it’s a gamble but we should Risk it on another unproven coach in a sub division who no one knows. Yeah that’s worked really well for us. Robinson, Shafer, Dino. We need a proven winner now. In 8 years it won’t matter if he busts out. The acc will probably be gone and if we don’t turn this around in a hurry we have no chance in staying in a relative conference. They need to put all their chips on one hand like our future depends on it. Do we go with another gamble or do you hire someone who has won a lot.
If you cannot afford the buyout you do not offer the contract.

We can pull the plug on a bad lower HC after 3 years. Mullen can go 0-36 and he is getting year 4 and year 5.

Of course he will be. He's a Syracuse guy and that's Wildhack's MO.
It won’t be Doug. He was at the Colgate game with his wife rooting on his son who plays there. I heard some things from the ADs office about him then. He ain’t coming back.

If you cannot afford the buyout you do not offer the contract.

We can pull the plug on a bad lower HC after 3 years. Mullen can go 0-36 and he is getting year 4 and year 5.
There is zero chance Mullen is going to have a worse record here then Dino has at this point. ZERO CHANCE.

You don’t win 100 something games and hate to recruit. He’s a college coach and a very good one. It’s crazy to even think he couldn’t come here and at the very least make us competitive against acc schools and win 8 games a year. His football iq alone is good for a win or two over dino who every game struggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.