Dan Mullen | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mullen is in Boston tomorrow doing the BC game on ESPN at noon.

It is a short drive/flight to SYR if Wildhack wants to make an announcement on Sunday followed by a Mullen press conference on Monday.
Logistics. From your lips to God's ears.

You don’t bring a potential hire to practice. I was told by someone I trust that he was at practice. That’s your next HC. Players are following him more by the hour. He’s not my first choice, but he’s coming. The good news is that this means the program is likely going to be getting the resources it needs to compete.
Right. That would be like taking job candidates around to meet the team. That makes no sense. I can't come up with another reason he would be there without a TV crew.

Since Mullin was a graduate assistant at SU, the facilities have really taken a step up. He saw what SU had and sees what’s been done and what’s coming? He grew up and went to school in the northeast. As you get older your priorities change. Another thing coaches notice is that SU stuck with Dino for eight years. That shows patience that coaches appreciate.

Right this is the obvious answer. They know right now nobody wants us as the conferences consolidate. The ACC is protected by grant of rights, but for how long? There are repeated reports that a number of members are leaving and announcing soon. They all never seem to happen but the reports seem to indicate it’s coming. So it seems the university is doing what it needs to do to increase its realignment stock.
This is exactly why we need a Dan Mullen type here now. We can not afford another miss and Mullen is a lower risk but lower risk comes with a cost. Mullen was my first choice because of this. It also shows commitment by SU again to the fans, boosters, the ACC, and other P4/5 teams / conferences that SU is committed to achieving success and winning again. We are at a time now where we can’t risk going on the cheap or we will be on the outside looking in.

P.S. Miss State wants Mullen back so we will have to pony up if we really want Mullen. It’s not done until the ink is signed.

Last edited:
4-5 Mullen in a heartbeat

Cause when he is poached you get paid out and you are in a much better spot moving forward
I was going to say the same thing. Even if you overpay for Mullen, if he is successful here and gets poached, the buyout of his contract goes in to our piggy bank for the next guy. Expectations are low here so he could make a nice living and be appreciated. We could also bring in an up and comer like Chesney underneath him for a year or two and let him succeed Mullen if/when he does bolt after getting us on solid footing.

I’m just going to say this now in case this doesn’t happen and I never get the chance. I was never the biggest Coach P fan but how cool would it be if this happens and he takes a special assistant to the HC role for a couple of years?

Yes, always go with the best you can hire. If they leave for greener pastures, it is because they did their job well. SU would be a much-improved program and in excellent position to hire another top coach.

Seriously. Let's cross this bridge when we come to it, my god.

How have Mullen’s defenses been historically? I know Todd Grantham followed him around a bit, but don’t really know much else.

I am really myopic on my sports, I follow Cuse closely but not other teams so much. What exactly happened at Florida that they are so toxic about him? Is it because he did not compete for national championships? He had an excellent record there. I guess it's national championship contender or nothing in the SEC.

Last edited:
One thing I’m curious about is the pitch and how wildhack is providing context to the ACC future. Everyone has said we are dead man walking in 5 years potentially being left out of the big 2.

Mullin isn’t Chesney where this is a new opportunity up the food chain. For Dan this is a step down from the sec opportunity wise.

Not saying this as a negative but what does John know or what is he pitching him with regarding this. Cynic in me is mullin is a 3 year fix and he will either retire or go back to the BIG or SEC and this issue is irrelvsnt

Also how much money we talking. The narrative we can’t pay is bs if we are paying Dan mullin 5mm plus and whatever else for the bigtime assistants (another 3mm??!)
Then agree to a provision if SU isn’t in a major conference he can walk away without a buyout.

One thing I’m curious about is the pitch and how wildhack is providing context to the ACC future. Everyone has said we are dead man walking in 5 years potentially being left out of the big 2.

Mullin isn’t Chesney where this is a new opportunity up the food chain. For Dan this is a step down from the sec opportunity wise.

Not saying this as a negative but what does John know or what is he pitching him with regarding this. Cynic in me is mullin is a 3 year fix and he will either retire or go back to the BIG or SEC and this issue is irrelvsnt

Also how much money we talking. The narrative we can’t pay is bs if we are paying Dan mullin 5mm plus and whatever else for the bigtime assistants (another 3mm??!)

The difference is Mullen WANTS to be here

Is the Addazio part for real? If so Cuse would really be stepping up to big time in terms of money. Although who knows maybe a&m is paying a huge offset.

Let the recruiting roll!
Whoever is going to a&m is going to want a new staff

I want to know how we financially can afford him after years of saying we can’t pay top 20 rates. Dan Mullin is going to command a top 20 salary. Who is our sugar daddy

The only people saying we couldn’t pay top rates were people on here and in the media.

Syracuse and the university have not said they couldn’t pay big boy money

This is exactly why we need a Dan Mullen type here now. We can not afford another miss and Mullen is a lower risk but lower risk comes with a cost. Mullen was my first choice because of this. It also show commitment by SU again to the fans, boosters, the ACC, and other P4/5 teams / conferences that SU is committed to have success again. We are at a time now where we can’t risk going on the cheap or we will be on the outside looking in.

P.S. Miss State wants Mullen back so we will have to pony up if we really want Mullen. It’s not done until the ink is signed.
I believe there was a Clarion Ledger article linked that Dan decline Mississippi State at this time

This is exactly why we need a Dan Mullen type here now. We can not afford another miss and Mullen is a lower risk but lower risk comes with a cost. Mullen was my first choice because of this. It also show commitment by SU again to the fans, boosters, the ACC, and other P4/5 teams / conferences that SU is committed to have success again. We are at a time now where we can’t risk going on the cheap or we will be on the outside looking in.

I think he told MSU he wasn’t interested.

The only people saying we couldn’t pay top rates were people on here and in the media.

Syracuse and the university have not said they couldn’t pay big boy money
This is a stunning development honestly, if it happens. I don’t think the question was so much paying the coach etc (I think we can get there). It’s more proving out the resources to compete for recruits, transfers, NIL, facilities on a continuing basis. It’s the longer term commitment that people have questioned (and one reason the other DM left).

This is so out of the blue I hope that JW gives a play by play when it’s done. Mullen is kind of at an interesting stage in life with coaching, family, good tv guy. I’d bet the community, schools and not having the big time SEC expectations are real selling points along with the chance to rebuild a legacy program.

I have always been a huge Tony White fan who I think would be perfect here but more so thought he was just a better candidate than everyone else on the short list (each of them had issues). While I hate that it’s not Tony, if DM happens it’s an unbelievably fortunate win for our program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom